A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

What's your problem? No reason to turn nothing into something.
depends on what you call "nothing".

Yes. Very fast.

I really want to see this film in 70 mm wide screen film projection… this is one of these films that should be shown on film it begs for high-end projection as opposed to a basic DLP projector at your local multiplex.

The two biggest things that I feel this film is lacking from Annapolis for your perspective is a lack of fanfare during the Lucasfilm logo and the sound of the projector from the back of the theater…
Kinda envious, we do not even have an imax theater around my town.
There is one with a big projector, but the theater is so large it hardly counts as "IMAX".

as for special effects looking lousy, I think its related to the "fake" motion blur.

This was also very apparent on the hobbit trilogy.
Like the river escape scene.. looked AWFUL.

This may be a little tough to understand, but, all that scenery that you are talking about really doesn't exist except in the mind of the writer. It cannot be wrong, because it is part of someone else's imagination. If it doesn't agree with one's personal way it is imagined doesn't make it wrong, just different. Sorry, just wanted to interject a little sense into this discussion. Carry on!

Agree, it gets worse when we read a really good book, and then see the movie.
Because most of the times.. our brain will create our own "reality" and "scenery" based on the descriptions we read.

Kinda makes you wonder how different the Star Wars land will look compared to the "teasers" and "plans".

AEfx

Which is to say that the new movie didn't add anything different from the OT. The problem of making SW a recognizable "place" in a theme park remains.

Not really. The technology and iconography is well-known. Plus, aren't we gonna have a Millenium Falcon in the middle of it all? That right there is enough. The music, the streetmosphere, some droids - etc. - it's not difficult to capture Star Wars in that way. In fact, I would argue sound above all else is what instantly transports folks to Star Wars, not visual locations.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
8538739184_77888e550f_m.jpg

AEfx

Yes. Very fast.

I really want to see this film in 70 mm wide screen film projection… this is one of these films that should be shown on film it begs for high-end projection as opposed to a basic DLP projector at your local multiplex.

The two biggest things that I feel this film is lacking from Annapolis for your perspective is a lack of fanfare during the Lucasfilm logo and the sound of the projector from the back of the theater…

It looks pretty spankin' good in 3D 6K Laser Projection. It negates the whole darkness issue with 3D, making the image as bright and clear as 2D in 3D. Not many theaters have it - but it's getting there.

Though I agree, 70MM would be pretty sweet. :)

AEfx

$765 Million Globally!?!?!? In 6 1/2 days of release!?!?

Just getting bigger. Apparently people are having trouble getting Xmas day tickets now. Gee, remember those folks way back when in this thread that said, "Nah, no one will go to the movies over Xmas..." including some (who shall remain nameless...) who thought it was entirely possible that JW would be more successful?

We are very likely witnessing the first $3B movie, folks. Also very likely the last for a long time, though. But good to end with Star Wars on top - pretty much like how I'm pretty satisfied with Thriller always remaining the #1 best selling album of all time. Something just never sat right with Avaturd being the #1 grossing film of all time - my goodness, how embarrassing that would be when the anthropologists of the future investigators of what happened to the human race are writing their reports.

AEfx

Not with you at all in this.
Even from that narrow list the setting is not just a backdrop but plays a role in the story

Can that be said in generalities? Often times, yes.

But in the case of the OT of Star Wars? Really, not so much. In these discussions I like to bring up ESB, pretty much universally considered the best Star Wars film. Let's talk about Hoth. People had to wear winter clothes because it was cold. Luke's life was in danger because he was cold. But, heat could have done the same thing. Effectively, the entire Hoth sequence could have taken place in tunnels in a desert planet and played out pretty much exactly the same way.

Bespin? Gorgeous, but...the fact it was a cloud city didn't really affect anything directly. We've seen chasms all over in Star Wars, even that wasn't unique.

Just food for thought...kind of like the complaints I've seen that they don't go into enough detail about certain things like names, etc. in the new film. I challenge someone to write down every spoken character name in the OT. You'll have a pretty short list, actually. Then watch the movies and realize how many names you know (if you are a Star Wars fan, of course). And then you realize how you know them - trading cards, comic books, video games, toy packages...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
On Twitter more people are raving about it than saying it's okay. CinemaScore is done by surveyors outside the movie theatre which is the general audience and they gave it an A. Disney social media can't control that
The going rate for a few thousand Twitter accounts is a few hundred dollars a month

Mike S

Yes. Very fast.

I saw it in 70mm :happy: I would like to see it again in 3D sometime.
Just getting bigger. Apparently people are having trouble getting Xmas day tickets now. Gee, remember those folks way back when in this thread that said, "Nah, no one will go to the movies over Xmas..." including some (who shall remain nameless...) who thought it was entirely possible that JW would be more successful?

We are very likely witnessing the first $3B movie, folks. Also very likely the last for a long time, though. But good to end with Star Wars on top - pretty much like how I'm pretty satisfied with Thriller always remaining the #1 best selling album of all time. Something just never sat right with Avaturd being the #1 grossing film of all time - my goodness, how embarrassing that would be when the anthropologists of the future investigators of what happened to the human race are writing their reports.
Followed by Back in Black and The Dark Side of the Moon :inlove:

AEfx

The going rate for a few thousand Twitter accounts is a few hundred dollars a month

Oh please, the conspiracy theories are a little much LOL.

Twitter has over 300M users, and is considered pretty much the hot bed for pithy criticism and hit and run negativity in the popular social media scene.

Yet, only about 1% of tweets regarding TFA were negative.

Even Disney doesn't have that kind of sway - if they did, why would they have criminals like Jim Hill on their social media payroll, if they can somehow manipulate the entire Twittersphere in that way.

Seriously - most people love the film. They may not all (or nearly all) think it was "perfect" - but nothing is. When you compare the reaction to this to the reaction to The Phantom Menace, you see that the long-held "people had too high expectations" excuse is really invalid - it's just that TPM was a mediocre at best film. TFA is about as universally loved a picture as has ever been. In addition, it's also looking to be the most successful money maker of all time.

To have BOTH those things going for it is unprecedented. One, the other - that can happen, but both? It's a rare film, and if Disney was so all powerful as to be manipulating Rotten Tomatoes (95% critics, 4.5/5 audience), CinemaScore (A), only 1% of the Twitterverse kvetching (absolutely insane!), and oh...on it's way to being the #1 most financially successful film of all time, then where the heck was all this Disney muscle for John Carter? LOL. If you think Disney has this kind of influence, then I think you are giving them WAY too much credit.

Oh, forgot to mention - while all this has been going on, folks have been scrambling out there to spend even more than the $5B that has already been generated by merchandise - they can't keep the product stocked on shelves.

What more would it take to convince you the film is an unabashed success?

lazyboy97o

Not with you at all in this.
Even from that narrow list the setting is not just a backdrop but plays a role in the story
Place has to do with meaning and identity as they are incorporated symbiotically with a design. There is nothing about the visual vocabulary of the built spaces that identify them as unique to a specific location. How would the design of a spaceport or Rebel base really be different if it were set on one planet versus the other? The biggest differences would be sand or snow, not actual design elements. It's the same issue as to why World Showcase does not feature contemporary buildings, you'd still have different locations represented but the image would be a mass of glass and steal without much notable distinction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom