A Spirited Perfect Ten

NearTheEars

Yes but you really couldn't tell unless you were specifically looking for scenes shot in full IMAX.

The only problem with such a high resolution is that I noticed a couple of special effects shots where you could tell it was completely CGI and no practical effects or stuntmen were used. The guy noticed only one or two places where it really stood out.

Looked into going to MOSI Tampa after the holidays to see it at the IMAX Dome. The way they described there's is the screen will expand during the true IMAX scenes. Not sure if it will be distracting or not.

Quinnmac000

My personal reason I hoped it didn't do well was now the standards are held higher for Ep VIII and the Rogue Ones next year because if it doesn't surpass TFA in revenue, publications will scream flop and there will be statements on why it didn't do as well as the Force Awakens. It could easily pull an Avengers 2 situation where the projections are sky high but then underperform. If the next flims fail to break records, it will be considered a mark against it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Place has to do with meaning and identity as they are incorporated symbiotically with a design. There is nothing about the visual vocabulary of the built spaces that identify them as unique to a specific location. How would the design of a spaceport or Rebel base really be different if it were set on one planet versus the other?

Uhh.. Hoth vs Yavin 4? And the settings have played significant roles in the stories. Really... 180 opposite from your position on all of this.

lazyboy97o

Uhh.. Hoth vs Yavin 4? And the settings have played significant roles in the stories. Really... 180 opposite from your position on all of this.
Signifigance in the story is irrelevant to the settings having a strong built identity. How does the base on Hoth differ in design from the one on Yavin IV? Without the snow covering there is not much distinction between their interior environments. Even the grand exterior of the Yavin base doesn't suggest how an urban/human scale environment would be organized and designed as it is supposed to exist in isolation.

Last edited:

gonzoWDW

Place has to do with meaning and identity as they are incorporated symbiotically with a design. There is nothing about the visual vocabulary of the built spaces that identify them as unique to a specific location. How would the design of a spaceport or Rebel base really be different if it were set on one planet versus the other? The biggest differences would be sand or snow, not actual design elements. It's the same issue as to why World Showcase does not feature contemporary buildings, you'd still have different locations represented but the image would be a mass of glass and steal without much notable distinction.

Disagree with that, the architecture of the buildings on Tatooine is very distinctive, just like the structures on Bespin. From the prequels, Naboo, Coruscant, and even Geonosis fall into that category. As long as you have seen the movies, you could tell most planets apart (Jakku and Tatooine might blend, but that's the exception, not the rule). In fact, you can also immediately tell an Imperial spaceship from a Rebel spaceship, both for the interior and exterior.

And now that I realize I'm arguing about the architecture of buildings on planets in a galaxy far, far away, it's time for me to log off. Merry Christmas everybody

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Oh please, the conspiracy theories are a little much LOL.

Has nothing to do with conspiracy theories, Successful social marketing campaigns depend on the use of fake social media accounts these days. Yes it violates the terms of service of every social media platform, but it works and it's profitable for the companies and the ad agencies which arrange for the fake accounts.

Yes the TFA has been a FINANCIAL success, Still based on comments in my circle if it did not have 'Star Wars' in the title they probably would not have gone to see it and both the story and the score were merely 'ok'.

One reason Twitter stock and financial performance has been dropping like a falling safe is because of the bot's which are being used by companies to generate fake word of mouth and inflate the number of followers and a lot of people don't trust it. Most people I know only use twitter these days for mass transit updates.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/grant-stern/fake-it-till-you-buy-it_b_4229293.html

Go check out TwitterAudit, For example the @StarWars twitter account is roughly 1/3 fake followers. 300K out of 918K users.

brb1006

Merry Christmas, guys! I'm watching the Disney Parks celebration "parade" thing and I have no idea what's going on.
The only bits I remember is the voice of Judy Hopp who tells her memories of Walt Disney World, Kermit and Robin, and Joy and Sadness at the start and on a float.

Bolna

Bob Iger bad mouthed Chinese contractors building SHDR today on Bloomberg.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-12-21/walt-disney-ceo-iger-we-re-very-bullish-on-china

Considering how important saving face is to a lot of Asian cultures, this sounds like a very harsh statement. I am surprised that Iger is putting that out. But it does confirm what several people, especially @WDW1974, have said about construction problems there.

Also interesting how the bad news - that the announcement of an opening date for supposedly SPRING (!) 2016 won't happen until 2016 has actually started - has been buried in an article that is full of how wonderfully TFA is doing. If I were a more cynical person, I would get the impression, that someone is trying to bury bad news in the news cycle. And considering that I had not heard about the delay in announcing the opening date at all until I read that article, it seems that they succeeded...

Cesar R M

I thought this was your signature move?

Its-OBVIOUS-aliens-are-REAL-Just-look-at-my-freaking-hair.jpg
that one too!

humans_aliens.png

Cesar R M

Oh please, the conspiracy theories are a little much LOL.

Twitter has over 300M users, and is considered pretty much the hot bed for pithy criticism and hit and run negativity in the popular social media scene.

Yet, only about 1% of tweets regarding TFA were negative.

Even Disney doesn't have that kind of sway - if they did, why would they have criminals like Jim Hill on their social media payroll, if they can somehow manipulate the entire Twittersphere in that way.

Seriously - most people love the film. They may not all (or nearly all) think it was "perfect" - but nothing is. When you compare the reaction to this to the reaction to The Phantom Menace, you see that the long-held "people had too high expectations" excuse is really invalid - it's just that TPM was a mediocre at best film. TFA is about as universally loved a picture as has ever been. In addition, it's also looking to be the most successful money maker of all time.

To have BOTH those things going for it is unprecedented. One, the other - that can happen, but both? It's a rare film, and if Disney was so all powerful as to be manipulating Rotten Tomatoes (95% critics, 4.5/5 audience), CinemaScore (A), only 1% of the Twitterverse kvetching (absolutely insane!), and oh...on it's way to being the #1 most financially successful film of all time, then where the heck was all this Disney muscle for John Carter? LOL. If you think Disney has this kind of influence, then I think you are giving them WAY too much credit.

Oh, forgot to mention - while all this has been going on, folks have been scrambling out there to spend even more than the $5B that has already been generated by merchandise - they can't keep the product stocked on shelves.

What more would it take to convince you the film is an unabashed success?
The movie was the perfect turn for the better after the horrible prequels.
I think these movies gave hope on the franchise on all classic fans and new fans.

now, if they could burn the first episodes in a fire to repair the damage jar jar binks did...

Cesar R M

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Well, he's kinda right.
There are "hackers" (aka script kiddies) that control thousands of zombie accounts on all major sites.
to spam, sell advertisement, inflate likes and reblogs..
Politics, companies, or corrupt individuals buy these to sway the population or inflate the popularity of their products.

For example, our president has a group controlled by the CISEN (NSA equivalent of Mexico) that are used to drown complains of corruption by posting positive comments using the complainer's hashtags.
they are called "peñabots".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom