A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It received an "A" CinemaScore and has a 92% audience approval rating on RottenTomatoes. I think word of mouth is much better than "ok"

I think Disney's social media bordello has more to do with those ratings than anything else, Celebration Place's social media and SEO outfits in India are cranking out glowing reviews for these sites. I wish they were more like Amazon's 'verified purchase' reviews. People in town talk about TFA but it's all along the lines of 'It's OK' as opposed to I'm seeing it again tonight', And no I have not seen TFA so I don't have an opinion either way.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
But they don't have Star Wars, how big could it be? ;)

Perhaps a fully realized Avengers land on the order of Diagon Alley/Hogsmeade, No inside data just speculation. Personally I'd rather see UNI do a SW land as based on recent products UNI would do a better job. Examples being NFL vs Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah, I really don't trust the company behind Cars Land with Star Wars either :rolleyes:

Cars Land was a one off driven by John Lasseter using every bit of his political capital to get it done, Cars Land is why Lasseter has little influence at Burbank any longer because many bridges were burned in the process of bringing Cars Land to life by no means is Cars Land a typical Domestic P&R project.

NFL was and is a mainline WDI product. As to the possible execution of SWL, Avatar will probably be the best indicator, If Avatar disappoints SWL will likely also.

PS

There is no doubt about WDI's ability to design amazing attractions as seen in Tokyo, Mystic Manor and Cars Land, It's more about the executive management of Disney ALLOWING them to EXECUTE that vision. Once again I'll bring up 7DMT As imagined and planned (to the point of engineering drawings and BOM's) 7DMT was an E-ticket. Disney P&R management chopped it back to it's current C-ticket incarnation.

Mike S

Cars Land was a one off driven by John Lasseter using every bit of his political capital to get it done, Cars Land is why Lasseter has little influence at Burbank any longer because many bridges were burned in the process of bringing Cars Land to life by no means is Cars Land a typical Domestic P&R project.

NFL was and is a mainline WDI product. As to the possible execution of SWL, Avatar will probably be the best indicator, If Avatar disappoints SWL will likely also.

PS

There is no doubt about WDI's ability to design amazing attractions as seen in Tokyo, Mystic Manor and Cars Land, It's more about the executive management of Disney ALLOWING them to EXECUTE that vision. Once again I'll bring up 7DMT As imagined and planned (to the point of engineering drawings and BOM's) 7DMT was an E-ticket. Disney P&R management chopped it back to it's current C-ticket incarnation.
And you don't think LucasFilm has similar power here? Also, knowing the widespread opinion among fans about the prequels, I think Disney knows what would happen if they messed this up. It's a top priority project, I guarantee it (even with no inside info).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And you don't think LucasFilm has similar power here? Also, knowing the widespread opinion among fans about the prequels, I think Disney knows what would happen if they messed this up. It's a top priority project, I guarantee it (even with no inside info).

The LucasFilm crew from Kennedy all the way down are simply hired hands, Lasseter is a major stockholder it's no secret that Lasseter and Iger do not see eye to eye but Iger can't get rid of him no matter how much he wants to without triggering a huge proxy fight.

The LucasFilm crew on the other hand are simply employees who do what they are told, It would probably have been different if Lucas had been paid in shares instead of cash but the cash payment was another way of locking out Lucas from the future direction of the LucasFilm products. (Probably BECAUSE of the PIXAR experience)

Simply put the LucasFilm team does not have the financial weight that Docter and Lasseter do.

Mike S

The LucasFilm crew from Kennedy all the way down are simply hired hands, Lasseter is a major stockholder it's no secret that Lasseter and Iger do not see eye to eye but Iger can't get rid of him no matter how much he wants to without triggering a huge proxy fight.

The LucasFilm crew on the other hand are simply employees who do what they are told, It would probably have been different if Lucas had been paid in shares instead of cash but the cash payment was another way of locking out Lucas from the future direction of the LucasFilm products. (Probably BECAUSE of the PIXAR experience)

Simply put the LucasFilm team does not have the financial weight that Docter and Lasseter do.
I guess you're right about that but I still think Disney would not dare mess this up. Star Wars fans, unlike some Disney Parks fans, aren't afraid to call crap when they see it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I guess you're right about that but I still think Disney would not dare mess this up. Star Wars fans, unlike some Disney Parks fans, aren't afraid to call crap when they see it.

You are right about SW fans not accepting crap, DW's comments about the 'Launch Bay' were largely unsuitable for a family website, The only thing she liked was the pod racer.

Trouble is Disney is focused on Wall St these days rather than the customer, So 5 years from now TFA will have been forgotten and the only thing in the Disney executive's mind will be their quarterly bonus, If maximizing their 'performance' bonus means cutting back SWL it will be done in a new york minute.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I feel confident that SWL will have TDL level theming for 2 reasons.

1. The IP's popularity demands it.
2. And Universal is bringing the heat.

Agree on both points However look at the past weekend, All parks in Orlando stepped up security. Universal did it in a professional manner which did not have much impact on guest experience (I was there for the Mannheim Steamroller concerts), Disney basically hired a goon squad with a really bad reputation, Disney HAD the money to hire the best ie Wackenhut, Wells Fargo, Securitas or Garda yet they hired the bottom of the barrel.

Disney feels they are untouchable from a business point of view and that the guests will eat up whatever crap they serve which is why my expectations are low for Disney's upcoming additions

rael ramone

I think Disney's social media bordello has more to do with those ratings than anything else, Celebration Place's social media and SEO outfits in India are cranking out glowing reviews for these sites. I wish they were more like Amazon's 'verified purchase' reviews. People in town talk about TFA but it's all along the lines of 'It's OK' as opposed to I'm seeing it again tonight', And no I have not seen TFA so I don't have an opinion either way.

Check out the Seeking Alpha comments section on any article about $DIS. Lotsa pixie dust there...

JediMasterMatt

Avatar will probably be the best indicator, If Avatar disappoints SWL will likely also.

Avatar will disappoint only in terms of the attractions on offer. Soarin 3.0 may not tickle everyone's fancy and the boat ride is going to be short unfortunately. The land itself will be the star and should blow us all away.

Fortunately, we've got a few things on our side for Star Wars Land in Florida.

Most importantly, it's a clone of what is going in Disneyland and the show quality banner is still high out west. It also is being given a budget that is allowing 2 E-ticket attractions along with the land. Both the Falcon and the Resistance/Battle/Adventure attraction should exceed the ambition of anything in Pandora.

Based on the concept art and the details that I know about the place, I'm not so sure that the land of Pandora won't end up being the better looking/more breathtaking of the two. It should be beautiful. That's not to say that Star Wars Land won't be, it just won't lend itself to being as panoramic and breathtaking as the floating mountains. Similar to Cars Land to Diagon Alley in appearance. Both at the top of their class in terms of what is possible in a theme park. One is awe inspiring in the vistas on display and the other is just as impressive in terms of the fine details (and also the vertical visual scope).

I mentioned in the Disneyland thread on this topic that I'm 100% satisfied based on what I know in the loss of what they are giving up to get what will be gained with SWL. As much as I hate losing all of Rivers of America, the opening of SWL will be well worth it.

Considering we're losing part of a parking lot and a stunt show in the swamps of Florida... it's no contest.

Also, just a reminder that NFL is just fine in its execution. It was the lack of ambition that ruined it. What we got out of it looks better than the limited scope dark ride, fancy meet-in-grope, smallish coaster, and dueling Dumbo's has any right in looking. I'd argue that the new stuff in MK looks too good for the rest of the park. It's really abrupt when you go to use the Tangled restrooms and then walk back into tent city. The "way" is still there at WDI... it's just the "will" in terms of the budget that limits the ambition.

Quinnmac000

I don't mean to sound pessimistic by any means, and you could be right about that. But i'll also mention that there are plenty of other Universal projects beyond a third Orlando park. Besides new rides/lands coming to existing Universal parks (including Nintendo), they've got a new Universal park coming to Beijing, and another apparently in Russia. So this hiring doesn't necessarily mean it's for a third Orlando park specifically.

Again I don't deny that a third park will eventually come, i'm quite sure it will be. I'm simply wondering how far ahead the project is and whether they've got a decent idea at this point of what they're building.

Turns out I was not fully right. Universal Studios Korea also is a go as of two days ago and due to open by 2020 so that's another park Universal Creative will be working on creating in addition to Russia, Beijing, additions to Japan, updates to Hollywood, updates to the Studios and IOA and development of a third park.

asianway

Cody5294

On Twitter more people are raving about it than saying it's okay. CinemaScore is done by surveyors outside the movie theatre which is the general audience and they gave it an A. Disney social media can't control that

GiveMeTheMusic

It's under WDW news and rumors. Feel free to ask the mods to recategorize to Uni though. Or general chit chat.

Spirited threads cover all aspects of Disney and the theme park industry - including Universal, which has always been fair game in this thread. Universal buying land for a third park is significant, if for no other reason than how it affects WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom