A Spirited Perfect Ten

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Yes... but since the business doesn't have a time machine... they must deal with the reality that they make decisions at one point in time.. and must deal with different conditions later. They can't 'undo' things done prior, nor redo them without consequence.

At the end of the day... they are shares that can be distributed.. and upon doing so have a market value someone can realize. I think you are taking this way too much the accountant/balance sheet way.. vs layman.

Nope. Nothing to do with the balance sheet. The only reason you think a treasury share is valuable is because it can be sold. But you don't need treasury shares to be able to sell shares to the market. The only thing that differentiates a treasury share from a never issued share is that the treasury share is on the balance sheet. It's meaningless. The reason Disney can sell shares of itself to the market for value is because the business is worth something. Treasury shares are not relevant to determining the value of the business.

I look forward to doing business with you as well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Treasury shares are not relevant to determining the value of the business.

Because no one is talking about the value of the business - only that the stock can be traded for something of value. A value that is established by market forces - not the actual company's assets.

You're 'winning' an argument no one is having.

Edit: But looking back I do see the statement you are trying to correct.. and yes, its bunk.. but like most of those flails I just ignore them. The treasure stock does not constitute the company's value... but they a placeholder that can be conveyed as value due to the market's willingness to pay for shares of the company. "value" in that sense, but not value as in creating tangible assets. But when the market price changes.. the company didn't create any new value there either, yet the company's buying power has changed due to market willingness.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Because no one is talking about the value of the business - only that the stock can be traded for something of value. A value that is established by market forces - not the actual company's assets.

You're 'winning' an argument no one is having.

Edit: But looking back I do see the statement you are trying to correct.. and yes, its bunk.. but like most of those flails I just ignore them. The treasure stock does not constitute the company's value... but they a placeholder that can be conveyed as value due to the market's willingness to pay for shares of the company. "value" in that sense, but not value as in creating tangible assets. But when the market price changes.. the company didn't create any new value there either, yet the company's buying power has changed due to market willingness.
"you're" ?

WildcatDen

getting a bit personal there dude, dial it down.
We are all friends here. Our Love for Disney binds us like a shrunken diaper. . .
Besides, it was sorta like a compliment. Vinegar and water are essential cleansing tools and the constant hammering of negativity is redundant and boring. See, like two peas in a pod.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We are all friends here. Our Love for Disney binds us like a shrunken diaper. . .
Besides, it was sorta like a compliment. Vinegar and water are essential cleansing tools and the constant hammering of negativity is redundant and boring. See, like two peas in a pod.

Yet what is there to be positive about these days at WDW, Some promised construction which has not started, continuing closures and quality cuts. Sure WDW is talking a good game these days but talk is cheap and based on past actions there is little reason to expect amazing things from WDW.

ParentsOf4

Because no one is talking about the value of the business - only that the stock can be traded for something of value.
As you note, treasury stock can be reissued to purchase something of value. For example, Disney acquired Lucasfilm in a cash and stock deal in 1Q2013. In that quarter, the amount of treasury stock carried by the company (at cost) decreased from $31.7B to $31.5B even though the company repurchased an additional $1.0B that same quarter.

I believe that's the last time the amount of treasury stock reported by Disney decreased.

Little Green Men

Yet what is there to be positive about these days at WDW, Some promised construction which has not started, continuing closures and quality cuts. Sure WDW is talking a good game these days but talk is cheap and based on past actions there is little reason to expect amazing things from WDW.

What about this?
cub1fjbxiaarzk2-jpg-large-jpe.119564

Nmoody1

Just thought I'd post here as I'm sure everyone like some shanghai chatter.

I'm here at the moment. Anyone visiting - take the Maglev - it come past the resort at 300km per hour. Roaring rapids is huge! Looks great. Castle still bulky, but better in person!

Uniqlo Magic For All is really well done and great service.

World's 'largest' disney store isn't world's largest - times sq has way more space... I'd say even Oxford St in London has more retail sq footage - they obviously include the outside gardens in their figures... but makes me wonder all this big up talk we get about disneyland... is it just spin?!

Service was terrible at the Disney store... everyone you try to take a photo a cast member jumps in front of you... then a security guard came over and quite rudely told me 'no photos'. Definitely not disney - distinctly chinese!

flyerjab

What about this?
cub1fjbxiaarzk2-jpg-large-jpe.119564

Or Rivers of Light, or Night Safaris, or the recently finished Harambe Market, or the new DAK signature restaurant, or the completely plussed Tree of Life area, or the newly expanded shopping areas...or the new Hub, or the Skipper's Cantina...or, I don't know, almost all of Disney Springs (I know people don't count that, but the money being spent still counts)...or the expansion of Soarin', or the Frozen attraction (I know, it is a travesty, but money is being spent and I still think the ride will be very good, if misplaced). Something else I like to include in this as it debuted within the last 2 years is the FoF parade in MK. Such an original parade and so much creativity, I make certain we never miss it.

@ford91exploder, next time you go to WDW - since you said your family still loves it and you own 800 DVC points - go to DAK. It is my favorite park of the 4 WDW parks. I think you will like what you see happening there. ;)

WildcatDen

It is my sincere hope that starting in 2016 and then every year for the next 3 to 5 I will be able to offer you a side order of crow while you dine on your main course of crow. And for dessert, maybe a little bit of crow.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It is my sincere hope that starting in 2016 and then every year for the next 3 to 5 I will be able to offer you a side order of crow while you dine on your main course of crow. And for dessert, maybe a little bit of crow.

If NFL is the standard, I suspect the travel authors will be mocking WDW in that timeframe, What do we have in 2016 oh yes FrozStrom, 2017 'Soarin with Blue Cat People and Maybe a boat ride' 2018 TSPL (yawn), 2019 ??, 2020??, maybe a SWL by 2022.

Of Course Iger's out in 2018 so - everything after 2018 is up in the air. I have only one rule 'Show Me'

Mike S

Since the number one complaint about the upcoming Frozen ride is placement I thought I'd ask what you all think of the latest Universal rumor I read on Orlando United. The rumor states that The Secret Life of Pets will be getting a ride in 2017. Trackless, AA's, and no mention of 3D. It will be in Islands of Adventure and will replace the Toon Lagoon theater. Apparently a revamp of Toon Lagoon as a whole would follow sometime after. So, what do you all think?
Edit: It will also be coming to USH.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Or Rivers of Light, or Night Safaris, or the recently finished Harambe Market, or the new DAK signature restaurant, or the completely plussed Tree of Life area, or the newly expanded shopping areas...or the new Hub, or the Skipper's Cantina...or, I don't know, almost all of Disney Springs (I know people don't count that, but the money being spent still counts)...or the expansion of Soarin', or the Frozen attraction (I know, it is a travesty, but money is being spent and I still think the ride will be very good, if misplaced). Something else I like to include in this as it debuted within the last 2 years is the FoF parade in MK. Such an original parade and so much creativity, I make certain we never miss it.

@ford91exploder, next time you go to WDW - since you said your family still loves it and you own 800 DVC points - go to DAK. It is my favorite park of the 4 WDW parks. I think you will like what you see happening there. ;)

Actually DAK is the resort I visit most (and have a reservation for a GV at AKL for the marathon in Jan). I visited AK the most (or did when I still had an AP) AK is the only park where someone still loves it ie. Joe Rohde.

It's been very disheartening to see the decline of WDW over the last 10 years or so, More to see so little being built and what is done is so pedestrian.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom