A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yet, Carsland - approved under Iger - and by far the crown jewel of the project. And again, we can't forget the several billion bucks that are about to be dumped into WDW - you know, the one that was made when some of the "experts" in this very thread were predicting he was only in town to "approve some new cupcake designs or something".

This is where you lose me. If you have criticisms about stock buy backs, fine - but taking it to the "only real achievement" part just makes it sound like silly ranting because clearly we have demonstrated how in fact he has had many successes that will be ensuring Disney's profitability for at least the next couple of decades.

The billions of dollars he is supposed to be putting into the park over the expected timeframe is about $400 million per year total that's barely enough to cover depreciation.

As to making Disney stronger, Disney does not even have a quarter's worth of cash in the bank, AAPL could BUY TWDC in cash and still not even miss a beat. Disney has no independent distribution channels and most of it's value is based on the huge hoard of Treasury Shares.

Of all it's comparables Disney is the weakest company in the media space.

the.dreamfinder

Yeah, once you've upgraded the attraction's core effects... something WDW cheap'd out on during the 'major' SM refurb. DL's has screens, projectors, and onboard music that can be reprogrammed for different shows.. WDW's SM.. well its not supposed to fall apart now and the solution to light leakage was to just black out everything.
Don't forget how DL tore down and rebuilt their SM track too.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Don't forget how DL tore down and rebuilt their SM track too.

Of course - but that wasn't the refurb that enabled Ghost Galaxy as a whole.. tho of course the attraction we have now stands on it's shoulders (onboard audio, some of the projection locations, etc). The comparison was really that DL got refurbs that enabled these new shows. Meanwhile, the MK refurb fell far short and didn't build this foundation to work from.

The Empress Lilly

Eh, that's because the track was most definitely failing. The attraction closed earlier than planned because the ride fell apart and was no longer safe to operate.
In a way it is almost a pity WDW didn't reach the pits of hell that DL and DLP did. Ruins in plain sight and a few casualties can forge a culture change, a real overhaul of policy. WDW meanwhile just sort of keeps hobbling along.

WildcatDen

That is one of the least intelligent things I've ever seen anybody say. You cannot have value by owning yourself. No value of any company can even possibly come from owning treasury shares.
Dude - Do not contradict the Massengill man. Don't you know he lives on Doom and Gloom Way?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That is one of the least intelligent things I've ever seen anybody say. You cannot have value by owning yourself. No value of any company can even possibly come from owning treasury shares.

Guess that the 48.2 Billion shown on the most recent balance sheet is valueless then.... And the 45 billion in physical assets are also valueless.

flynnibus

Premium Member
until you give those shares to someone... then you have given them promised value through the market value of the shares.

The company can 'bank' those shares so it can "buy" something in exchange for them without issuing more stock. The value is in the price the market is willing to pay for those shares... regardless of who is holding them.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
until you give those shares to someone... then you have given them promised value through the market value of the shares.

The company can 'bank' those shares so it can "buy" something in exchange for them without issuing more stock. The value is in the price the market is willing to pay for those shares... regardless of who is holding them.
If you can "bank" treasury shares and thereby have something of value, then you never needed to issue the shares and buy them back to have value -- you could have just authorized them, because issuing and buying back is the same thing in the end. Therefore, the value is in the business itself, not in the treasury shares you bought back.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Guess that the 48.2 Billion shown on the most recent balance sheet is valueless then.... And the 45 billion in physical assets are also valueless.
The treasury shares aren't shown as an asset. Because they aren't. That amount is shown as a reduction of equity, because it represents amounts already paid to investors. Treasury shares are shares of the company that others to own that the company bought back. Holding or retiring them is the same thing. No value added either way. The value is the business, not the treasury shares. If you don't know that, I would like to do business transactions with you, because I'd win a lot more often than I'd lose, given your lack of understanding of value and how the markets work.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you can "bank" treasury shares and thereby have something of value, then you never needed to issue the shares and buy them back to have value -- you could have just authorized them, because issuing and buying back is the same thing in the end. Therefore, the value is in the business itself, not in the treasury shares you bought back.

Yes... but since the business doesn't have a time machine... they must deal with the reality that they make decisions at one point in time.. and must deal with different conditions later. They can't 'undo' things done prior, nor redo them without consequence.

At the end of the day... they are shares that can be distributed.. and upon doing so have a market value someone can realize. I think you are taking this way too much the accountant/balance sheet way.. vs layman.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom