A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

It's just so hard to find relevant information in this thread anymore.

That's A common problem with this and other high trafficked threads - people go off on their own tangents. Everyone wants to bring their own stuff to the table.

Whether this thread has run its course, that's for @wdwmagic to say. Me? I think it's important for there to be a business related side of things in News and Rumors. These things bring relevant questions to the forefront of how Disney conducts its business and puts forth ideas that the Mouse would rather not discuss.

Unfortunately, those ideas get buried by those that simply cannot help themselves and spam these threads with nonsense.

Just another thought here, and I need someone with an accounting background here: what is with Disney Consumer Products (On the call) claiming that there is an accounting rule that says they may not count Ep7 licensing revenues Until after the movie comes out?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Lest anyone think that Ep 7 is not a toy ad, J.J. Abrams had to come out with a presser yesterday that Ep 7 'Was not about creating a certain amount of toys for a corporation'

From Yahoo News

That is the question that was foremost on filmmaker J.J. Abrams's mind as he embarked on the mammoth task of making the new Star Wars movie.

"That was really the only requirement Larry and I imposed on each other: The movie needed to be delightful," Abrams told Wired, referring to Lawrence Kasdan, the film's co-writer.

"It was not about explaining everything away, not about introducing a certain number of toys for a corporation, not about trying to appease anyone," he added in the latest issue of the monthly magazine, published Monday.

Link to the full text for however long $DIS allows this to stay up

http://news.yahoo.com/star-wars-director-says-aimed-delightful-movie-001054062.html

DisneyOutsider

Lest anyone think that Ep 7 is not a toy ad, J.J. Abrams had to come out with a presser yesterday that Ep 7 'Was not about creating a certain amount of toys for a corporation'

From Yahoo News

That is the question that was foremost on filmmaker J.J. Abrams's mind as he embarked on the mammoth task of making the new Star Wars movie.

"That was really the only requirement Larry and I imposed on each other: The movie needed to be delightful," Abrams told Wired, referring to Lawrence Kasdan, the film's co-writer.

"It was not about explaining everything away, not about introducing a certain number of toys for a corporation, not about trying to appease anyone," he added in the latest issue of the monthly magazine, published Monday.

Link to the full text for however long $DIS allows this to stay up

http://news.yahoo.com/star-wars-director-says-aimed-delightful-movie-001054062.html

Or you could.. ya know.. take his comments in context. This was an interview for a magazine... not an impromptu "presser". And the article you link isn't even the the actual interview

Here's the article: http://www.wired.com/2015/11/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-interview/

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Or you could.. ya know.. take his comments in context. This was an interview for a magazine... not an impromptu "presser". And the article you link isn't even the the actual interview

Here's the article: http://www.wired.com/2015/11/star-wars-force-awakens-jj-abrams-interview/

If it was not a 'thing' why did he even MENTION it?, He could have talked about STORY instead it came off as a denial that Disney sees this movie as a driver for merchandising rather than making a good movie!

rael ramone

I think it's important for there to be a business related side of things in News and Rumors. These things bring relevant questions to the forefront of how Disney conducts its business and puts forth ideas that the Mouse would rather not discuss.

And a lot of that carries over to the parks.

A big conglomerate that is expected to aggressively expand it's profit margins by the Street - that is seeing it's largest piece of the revenue pie (and that was considered to be it's most dependable/consistent) at risk of taking home less of the bacon - and the expectation that all the other divisions (including Parks & Resorts) is expected to make up the difference, and then some. And then what the Mouse does to the Parks to help keep the Street happy - Aggressively raise prices, trim quality & cleanliness, using data collection to keep the CM's hours low, then give the CM's extensive blackout times to take away the only activity they can afford to do when they aren't working. Results in getting less for paying more while served by CM's with lower morale.

And like just about any other business - they want a vice like command of the narrative. The more they control what is said about them the less they have to do to deliver 'pricing leverage'.

Are they doing more in the swamps now as far as additions? Of course, because that's what the Street wants them to do now. For years all the Street wanted the Mouse to do was reduce CapEx.

DisneyOutsider

If it was not a 'thing' why did he even MENTION it?, He could have talked about STORY instead it came off as a denial that Disney sees this movie as a driver for merchandising rather than making a good movie!

You're REALLY grasping at straws here. Bless your heart for trying.. but this interview is hardly the fuel for your silly conspiracy theories that you want it to be.

I'd tell you to go read the full article to gain some context (your reply indicates that you haven't), but you've shown a clear inability to be objective when it comes to this film. Your confirmation bias is off the charts.

GiveMeTheMusic

ESPN needs to get ahead of the game and essentially disrupt itself to come out on top. The problem with that is that it will anger the cable companies, which could damage present business. The navigation to the new model is going to be very tricky indeed and I don't envy whoever is tasked with it.

WildcatDen

See, he has been gone for so long now, no one knows who HE is!
Oh, we know, we know.
The thing is, from what I heard, in order to get him to appear, similar to Beetlejuice, you simply need to say his name three times. The kicker is you need to do this while sitting atop Spaceship Earth, wearing jorts, and sipping a Pina Colada. . .

"Because if I tell you, you'll tell your friends, your friends are callin' me on the horn all the time, I gotta show up at shopping centers for openings and sign autographs and like that and it makes my life a *hell*. Okay? A living hell."

truecoat

Or he's been asked this before by people and wanted it out there. It seems to me you took one line in an interview because it lined up with comments you have made and missed the big picture.

Rodan75

Having my past life in the television business, I find it wildly hilarious that there are now proclamations from the financial geniuses that cord cutting is all the sudden overblown. It's simply incredible. Their churn rates (for most providers) have slowed, but we also have an economy that is substantially healthier than it's been in several years. That's another factor. When we have our next downturn in the cycle of the economy, wait for an acceleration along with a generation that simply streams.

The numbers are incredibly misleading because several providers are throwing in television on the front-end of a broadband package at a low cost and manipulating the numbers. I guess the media wants to run with this narrative, but mark my words, it might not be next quarter, but two years from now, they'll be screaming about a growing churn rate and the millennial kids that don't want cable.

Another story where facts don't seem to matter in America. Sorry for the rant, it just annoys me. :)

I think the Cable Companies are in a lot more trouble than the media companies. They've been playing shell games for years with the costs of television service vs broadband. Their is still a ton of margin left in the video costs, and a lot less margin in keeping up with broadband speed and bandwidth needs. The more folks who cancel traditional cable service for OTT providers puts more pressure on the cable company margins. There is no need to panic now, but the dynamics are changing and 5-7 years from now the marketplace will look a lot different.

Disney will monetize their content somehow, some way. The question becomes is who pays for broadband expansion if it isn't funded by video margins.

Astro Blaster

Yes, Disney is making this movie to make money...and that is news? The funny thing is, the movie will actually make more money (from ticket sales, merchandise, other avenues) if people like it, so I'd assume they tried to make a good movie...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom