A Spirited Perfect Ten

Magenta Panther

I thought about simply ignoring @Expo_Seeker40 's post about the Walt Disney Birthplace because I, indeed, consider many folks at that site, but especially Todd and Norm, to be friends and the subject makes me a bit uncomfortable.

I have actually talked to a few individuals about the project of late, in broad terms. No, I didn't solicit donors just feelings about it. Let's be clear about that.

I got an earful, but the most resounding comment, from someone in the entertainment business, was simply ''Why is it that neither the family nor the company are willing to pony up what would be a tiny sum for either?''

I can't answer that. I do know that I had never heard the place even being mentioned until it appeared on Micechat and then Dusty/Todd going to work for the couple who bought the place.

Is it historically significant? You can certainly argue that. I tend to think it was Walt's formative years in Marceline that defined who he was and came to be. You could argue that the urinals at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank are important because 'Walt used them after buying a BLT for the Shermans while they were writing music for Mary Poppins.'

I just don't know.

Also, the sum of money they are looking for is, by real world standards, very small. All of the consultants and Imagineers are of the level whee you'd think they could easily put some of their own money where their mouths are and get the house renovated. Roy Patrick Disney has, apparently, given his support and, frankly, if your last name is Disney then you can find $500,000 in your sofa cushions. So, why do they even need fan money?

Kickstarter?

That's what you do if you are a Lifestyler and want the fan community to finance a new computer, laptop, tablet, iPhone, auto etc. Instead of getting a job or selling some of your Disney **** to finance it.

Again, it's not that anything is wrong here, but it is all about appearances.

This weekend, Micechat is celebrating its tenth anniversary and will have all sorts of Disney luminaries around the resort for the festivities. These folks can flat out afford $500,000, some likely on their own.

I also have a hard time getting past this nagging feeling that the house will wind up being a second home for its owners with tours available every second Tuesday of the month from 2 p.m. To 4 p.m. If arranged online in advance.

For my part, what the heck would the tours consist of? A peek into a bedroom and a docent intoning "Walt slept here"? Now I do think that a plaque on the house commemorating its place in Walt's life would be nice - I have relatives who live in old homes that have historical significance, and therefore have plaques - but beyond that, as a big Walt fan, I don't get what the fuss is about...

PREMiERdrum

You could argue that the urinals at Bob's Big Boy in Burbank are important because 'Walt used them after buying a BLT for the Shermans while they were writing music for Mary Poppins.'
I

You know you spend too much time on Disney fansites when you take several minutes trying to figure out what Disney acronym "BLT" is in a historic Disneyland context (certainly not Bay Lake Tower), before finally realizing it's referencing the dang sandwich.

Cheers, Spirit. Cheers.

lazyboy97o

For my part, what the heck would the tours consist of? A peek into a bedroom and a docent intoning "Walt slept here"? Now I do think that a plaque on the house commemorating its place in Walt's life would be nice - I have relatives who live in old homes that have historical significance, and therefore have plaques - but beyond that, as a big Walt fan, I don't get what the fuss is about...
A birthplace museum is under no obligation to just focus on birth and early years. Walt spent very little time when he was very young in Marceline, but the Walt Disney Hometown Museum is not just about what some five year old farm boy was doing a century ago.

ABQ

The only silver lining I see in this story, unless it's a crock, is that the work is being moved to Orlando and not offshore. After touring the costuming dept located @ the Hollywood Studios last November, I can't say enough about how amazing a job they do there, though I'm sure the facility they speak of is not that specific one as it's a bit too small, I would imagine.

Lee

Adventurer
I also have a hard time getting past this nagging feeling that the house will wind up being a second home for its owners with tours available every second Tuesday of the month from 2 p.m. To 4 p.m. If arranged online in advance.
Maybe that's what is giving me pause about the whole thing. Not knowing for sure what it will be used for. If i gave money to help refurb it only to find out it isn't open to the public...I would certainly feel as though I was conned into paying to remodel someone's (slightly) significant house.

I also agree that if that house was important, why didn't the company foot the bill for it? Or a family member who probably has the funds rattling around with the lint in their front pocket?

Just feels....off.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And frankly, I don't get why it's going to cost so much to "restore" it. It's not that big a house and not in that bad of a shape, from the pictures I've seen. There's a lady on HGTV called "Rehab Addict" who restores old homes "back to their former glory". Maybe Dina, Brent and Dusty ought to contact her. Heck, it'd make a great episode for her show...

1) rehabbing a house for living conditions is night and day from building something out for commercial use
2) By making it a commercial space, you have to deal with all the additional things they need that a place you just live in does not
3) you have no idea what the condition of the starting point is

Goofyernmost

Hey, in Prince Edward Island, Canada they have tours of the house of Green Gables where they show you Anne's bedroom. The kicker is that Anne is a fictional character. So you pay for a tour of a place where this fictional person never lived, but, would have had she actually existed. It was my wife and daughters that talked me into that trip. I, being testosterone laden, had never read the Anne of Green Gables books, so imagine my surprise when I drove 1000 miles, paid to ferry across to the Island, stayed in a hotel that didn't have air conditioning in mid August and paid for a tour of a place that a fictional character didn't live in. Never trusted any of them again.

OSUgirl77

Hey, in Prince Edward Island, Canada they have tours of the house of Green Gables where they show you Anne's bedroom. The kicker is that Anne is a fictional character. So you pay for a tour of a place where this fictional person never lived, but, would have had she actually existed. It was my wife and daughters that talked me into that trip. I, being testosterone laden, had never read the Anne of Green Gables books, so imagine my surprise when I drove 1000 miles, paid to ferry across to the Island, stayed in a hotel that didn't have air conditioning in mid August and paid for a tour of a place that a fictional character didn't live in. Never trusted any of them again.
Sounds like your wife and daughters and I would be kindred spirits. :)

justavoice

[/QUOTE]

I'm staying away from the buybacks topic as I think no one here has a better understanding or grasp on it than MAGICal CFO @ParentsOf4 ...

I will agree that, providing we don't start another war or have a major economic disaster, Iger probably will keep looking great ... Or as great as a Teflon robot can.

As to the Street and reinvestment, you need to get a fundamental issue: it hates the theme park business and with a passion. All it sees is risk ...what if an earthquake sucks up New Orleans Square? What if a crazy guy blows himself up in Hogsmeade? What if a Category 5 hurricane nails Central Florida? Etc etc ...

Wall Street would much rather Disney and UNI license their parks, than own and operate them.

So, as to what they thought about DCA 2.0, well, they are happy because it worked (to quote dead Blondie on Lost). And analysts are constantly questioning Disney (not simply on earnings calls) on the two billion dollar plus boondoggle that is NGE.

They want as little investment in parks as possible. Period.[/QUOTE]

Iger is creating a situation that a high School AD I know created. The AD stopped allowing a girls youth travel team to use his High School field. Short term no issues. But, instead of receiving $1,000.00 and the youth team upkeeping the field, he now pays $6,500.00 each year to get the field ready for high school usage for 3 months of the year. He does not have money to upkeep the rest of the year and lets it go back to seed. And spin, rinse and do it again next year. Only difference is that Iger will not be around to reap his rewards it will be some future schmock, I mean CFO and CEO.

Iger has assembled items like Marvel's The Collector. No cultivation of any talent from the lowest of low rank managers up to his trusted lieutenants. While these purchases may be good for the company they mask the creative and provocative shortcomings of the companies on workforce. When was the last time we saw a provocative new concept ride? A non-animated movie franchise created? The creative financing for movies of Silver Screen Investments back in the late 80'2 & 90's? Quality inexpensive movies that are not tent poles but family friendly and make money? (freaky Friday, Apple Dumpling Gang, my fav- Gus) Service as a guest where everything is customer first? The feeling of value from you interaction with Disney? The adage only as strong as the weakest link does not play on Wall Street today, but in the very near future I bet it will. And Iger has maybe underfunded some areas of Disney, but the talent level of the employees is the greatest loss.

Rodan75

Thanks, Interesting that DIS kept them as treasury shares

Agreed. Outside of gearing up for another acquisition it doesn't make a ton of sense to keep it on the books.

The companies I've worked for/with only kept the stock on the books if they had a pending liability they could cover by re-issuing the stock or if they were gearing up for M&A. It is a bit of an accounting nightmare to keep them long term.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom