A Spirited Perfect Ten

Phil12

I still imagine him a DCL cruise with a margarita.. hawaian shirt and open sandals while laying down in the bar area of the ship.
I imagine him sweltering in the South Florida heat and wishing he was elsewhere. I too did the family obligations watch for six years in Miami. When I left, I was very happy about seeing that real estate in my rear view mirror for the last time. Been there, done that.

I seriously think they are playing around with whats actually available for resort rooms.

I tried to book a room within hours of the AP rates being released online and was told that BC, YC, BW and AKL had all been booked. The funny thing was that the website was down for a majority of the night. I sent a polite email expressing my concern as an AP holder and I actually got a call back within 2 hours. The rep who called told me she was able to book me a room if I wanted. Shocker, considering that the 3 CM's I spoke with told me that the resorts were booked solid and there was NO way I could get a room.

We've been discussing the same issue here at my house. We have two nights at Art of Animation and need a third night. I check daily and nothing. Did you just send the email to guest services?? Thanks

hopemax

I like to consider the "domino" effects. So because of the "bad relationship" analogy I like to use, I think many people won't actually give up traveling to WDW. Since most people don't really have anymore money, either the credit card howls in pain or there should be

Changes in length of stay
Level of accommodations (value vs deluxe; onsite vs off)
Choices in restaurants (expensive table vs counter service vs bringing food/eating in room)
and merchandise
ability to pay for "upcharge events"
etc.

Do we have any good methods to track those?

PhotoDave219

I like to consider the "domino" effects. So because of the "bad relationship" analogy I like to use, I think many people won't actually give up traveling to WDW. Since most people don't really have anymore money, either the credit card howls in pain or there should be

Choices in restaurants (expensive table vs counter service vs bringing food/eating in room)
and merchandise
etc.

Nope.

PhotoDave219

Okay, some numbers breakdown from the Final Quarter, Crowd level wise.

The summertime trend held. There was no real dead period this September outside of 8/31-9/4 & 9/8-9/11. Crowds aren't back at the bedlam that was the rest of the summer, but they're above average as compared to the previous two years.

The summer? Akin to a Mickey Ward fight - absolutely brutal as a whole.

More to the point, expect more record crowds announced and record profits. Iger already said on the last conference call from last quarter that attendance was up domestically 4% over last year. I would expect that to hold.

Studios showed a weird trend in September: Every Monday pulled a 7+ crowd. (Monday is an EMH evening day but still, weird). MK is still running at pulling peak crowds 35% of this entire year. Studios has completely turned it around from a year ago, which surprises me. All the parks are pulling a 6+ crowd more often than a 5- crowd, meaning its above average more than 50% of this year so far.

So looking at what has happened in the past 2-3 years, from 2013-2014, the off-peak days pushed up and became average in 2014. (32% off peak / 53% avg / 15% peak in 2013 to 20%/68%/12% in 2014) The change from last year to this year is those average crowds have pushed up to peak levels. (23% Off/ 51% Avg / 26% Peak in 2015 as of the 10/3).

I can't tell you why this has happened, I can just point out the trends. And the trend is that there are some seriously long waits that weren't this frequent a few years ago.

Will this likely result in higher gate prices within the next six months in order to drive attendance back down to a more reasonable level while maintaining egregious profit margins? I'd predict yes, especially after today's AP changes.

As always, data pulled from the actual observations by @lentesta's Touring Plan's Crew.

HauntedMansionFLA

You mean like 9/21 when MK pulled an 8 and DHS pulled a 9? I'm still scratching my head too.
Thanks for the number updates - very interesting to see the trends and try to figure how DHS is doing it. We are thinking of going next year right after Thanksgiving. I'll have my eye out for your reports. I saw what your said about trips to WDW. We won't be going for quite awhile after next year. If we do, it would be a very short trip to see AvatarLand in 2017/2018 - then wait for Star Wars Land.

hopemax

Studios showed a weird trend in September: Every Monday pulled a 7+ crowd. (Monday is an EMH evening day but still, weird). MK is still running at pulling peak crowds 35% of this entire year. Studios has completely turned it around from a year ago, which surprises me. All the parks are pulling a 6+ crowd more often than a 5- crowd, meaning its above average more than 50% of this year so far.

Since the TouringPlans data is based on wait times, some bump would be explained by the closed attractions, right? If you have 30,000 people and 10 things, you should have shorter wait times than 30,000 people and 5 things. Idol closed end of August 2014, Backlot Tour end of Sept 2014, and Animation in July, whatever people those things attracted had to go somewhere else now, and that somewhere else didn't increase capacity.

danv3

Will this likely result in higher gate prices within the next six months in order to drive attendance back down to a more reasonable level while maintaining egregious profit margins? I'd predict yes, especially after today's AP changes.

Why would they wait six months to raise prices though? I'd expect the increases before the Christmas season starts.

PhotoDave219

Since the TouringPlans data is based on wait times, some bump would be explained by the closed attractions, right? If you have 30,000 people and 10 things, you should have shorter wait times than 30,000 people and 5 things. Idol closed end of August 2014, Backlot Tour end of Sept 2014, and Animation in July, whatever people those things attracted had to go somewhere else now, and that somewhere else didn't increase capacity.

You can direct all your questions about methodology to @lentesta

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

and merchandise
etc.

No way to directly track but forum members can observe and report on the trends they see, i.e. how much are people buying, are the restaurants full etc. I was disappointed but not surprised by the announcement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom