A Spirited Perfect Ten

Next Big Thing

Muppets was MUCH better this week than last week, nice to already see an improvement. Agents of SHIELD continued to impress as well and now seems to be a true Super-Hero show. The NCIS shtick seems long gone at this point and character progression has been great over the past season and a half. It may not be Daredevil, but it's the best show of it's kind on network TV by a good ways imo.

dhall

How is Marvel inappropriate for DCA? Marvel comics take place in the "real" world and making it an extension of Hollywood Land is thematically harmless in a park that is hopelessly jumbled as it is. It's better placement than anywhere in DL, that's for sure.
The majority of Marvel's earthbound characters are based in New York City. They could do West Coast Avengers & Tony Stark's Malibu place, and not much of any note else.

parker4fm

I am saddened by the suggested loss of the Fantasyland Theatre in Disneyland. Mickey and the Magical Map is one of the best Disney shows I've seen! They would do a better job routing the train track a bit further into Toon Town. There's a few things behind it that aren't even used anymore. Or, better yet, discontinue the Toon Town station.

the.dreamfinder

http://www.waltdisney.org/blog/walt-disneys-tom-sawyer-island
Tom Sawyer Island is the only part of Disneyland that Walt single-handedly designed himself.
image.jpeg

(Thanks to @DLThings for bringing this to my attention)

FigmentForver96

http://www.waltdisney.org/blog/walt-disneys-tom-sawyer-island
Tom Sawyer Island is the only part of Disneyland that Walt single-handedly designed himself.
View attachment 112813
(Thanks to @DLThings for bringing this to my attention)
Like I understand the historic value of Disneyland and the effort Walt put into it, but it is going to take more then slightly "enhancing" dark rides to keep people coming. This plan as of now wants to take a small section of the river. I say do it for the sake of future growth and expansion. Walt built an amazing place, and the last thing I think we should ever do is turn it into a muesuem.

GiveMeTheMusic

Like I understand the historic value of Disneyland and the effort Walt put into it, but it is going to take more then slightly "enhancing" dark rides to keep people coming. This plan as of now wants to take a small section of the river. I say do it for the sake of future growth and expansion. Walt built an amazing place, and the last thing I think we should ever do is turn it into a muesuem.

First of all, Disneyland is setting attendance records as we speak. Obviously not adding a major attraction in 20 years hasn't hurt the park one bit.

The plan is to take half of the river.

And while Disneyland is not a museum, there are pieces of it that should be preserved and handled with care. If they announced tomorrow that Sleeping Beauty Castle would be replaced by Elsa's Ice Palace, would the same old line about Disneyland not being a museum be trotted out? Where's the line? And more importantly, why does one have to be drawn in the first place? Can't there be a balance of preserving what makes the park great and adding new things for new generations of guests?

Is shoving Star Wars Land behind Frontierland the best way to exploit the Star Wars property? Or is it just the quickest? The same question can be asked about Frozenstrom. Is that the best way to take advantage of Frozen? By shoving it onto a low capacity attraction?

FigmentForver96

First of all, Disneyland is setting attendance records as we speak. Obviously not adding a major attraction in 20 years hasn't hurt the park one bit.

And while Disneyland is not a museum, there are pieces of it that should be preserved and handled with care. If they announced tomorrow that Sleeping Beauty Castle would be replaced by Elsa's Ice Palace, would the same old line about Disneyland not being a museum be trotted out? Where's the line? And more importantly, why does one have to be drawn in the first place? Can't there be a balance of preserving what makes the park great and adding new things for new generations of guests?

Is shoving Star Wars Land behind Frontierland the best way to exploit the Star Wars property? Or is it just the quickest? The same question can be asked about Frozenstrom. Is that the best way to take advantage of Frozen? By shoving it onto a low capacity attraction?
I agree, and I didn't say anything about not preserving anything in the park. Yes certain things should be preserved I totally agree. I also look forward to watching Disneyland change and grow in new ways. Cutting out a portion of the river wouldn't be my first choice but if it adds park capacity, possibly connect dead ends then I am for it.

As the project goes on I will keep watch and see how they handle it. FOR NOW I am in the boat of looking forward to change as long as they don't botch the entire thing.
The final point I would make is that just because the park is setting attendance records does give them an excuse to not raise the bar change and grow. Epcot isn't hurting attendance wise, but that isn't an excuse to leave the park in the condition it is.

the.dreamfinder

To be clear, this plan will eat up half of TSI. I know that for a fact.

However there has been additional talk, which I cannot confirm, that what would remain of TSI will not reopen to guests in 2017.

Nmoody1

I absolutely hate these shoe horned in attractions. I don't think star wars will be so ill thought out as Frozen in Norway was... I'm sure heads will roll sometime around June/July when the whole left side of World Showcase is jam packed solid and nobody can get to Guest Relations because of angry parents not able to meet Anna and Elsa, get a fast pass or standby entry to the ride or probably even get near merchandise. I also hope it's a nasty lesson to the parks people high up that these things need serious consideration and need to be done right.

I think the main problem is its been so long since any major addition has been made to either DL or WDW (stand alone attractions I mean) that people have actually forgotten how to go about things. Of course, one could argue that big projects have been completed. .. Walt Disney Studios Paris, California Adventure 1.0, Animal Kingdom... gee, you'd think there would have been enough lessons and mistakes learned from there!

But, Disneyland is not a museum. It shouldn't stay stagnant - Walt Disney said that himself... He so learnt from DL's space limitations... If only that 'blessing of size' was utilised more in Florida (again, see Frozen). I'm all for additions and changing things up... I just wonder how you transition from the Wild West to some distant galaxy... I feel there may be some jarring of themes as you transition from any of the obvious entrances to Star Wars land.

I also hope the rumours of the Fantasyland Theatre aren't true. I love the fact that DL can put on a theatre show... I wish they'd do the same in the Magic Kingdom - a theatre with seats and shade! I love Mickey and the Magical Map - again, I wouldn't be adverse to the show being updated or replaced, as long as quality is maintained.

Finally... The one hope we can have for all of this is a massive overhaul of Fantasmic! Imagine the changes that could be implemented in 15 month of downtime... New sections, new characters, new everything... let them spend the money and then hope and pray and hope and pray and hope and pray (and then some) that WDW sees sense and makes a few changes! (Ha, a boy can dream)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom