A Spirited Perfect Ten

Next Big Thing

To weigh in on The Muppets, I didn't fully love it, but I didn't hate it. It was actually fairly good and really funny at parts. I just think a big reason for the mild response to it is that it feels like a 30 rock rip off (in reality, The original Muppet show was similar in that it was a backstage look). Where people are really feeling a disconnect though I think is the dialogue given to the characters. People aren't used to the beloved muppets shown in such a risque light.

People aren't used to Miss Piggy broken hearted (she's always been seen as annoying, but in the end you liked her bc she was with Kermit). People aren't used to Fozzy having a love life that apparently started off of Tinder or something of the sort (that joke was hilarous btw "passionate bear looking for love"). People aren't used to a lot of things, it's just a more risque show, i'd advise the kids don't watch. I'll give it 3-4 more episodes at least, see if anything grows as as far as the plot goes. I still have hope for it.

If anything is for sure, it's that Kermit's new girlfriend (in the limited time we saw her), is really annoying. It seemed like they were trying to imply he was just with her because she satisfies his needs if you get what i'm saying...

Last edited:

Iwerks64

To way in on The Muppets, I didn't fully love it, but I didn't hate it. It was actually fairly good and really funny at parts. I just think a big reason for the mild response to it is that it feels like a 30 rock rip off (in reality, The original Muppet show was similar in that it was a backstage look). Where people are really feeling a disconnect though I think is the dialogue given to the characters. People aren't used to the beloved muppets shown in such a risque light.

People aren't used to Miss Piggy broken hearted (she's always been seen as annoying, but in the end you liked her bc she was with Kermit). People aren't used to Fozzy having a love life that apparently started off of Tinder or something of the sort (that joke was hilarous btw "passionate bear looking for love"). People aren't used to a lot of things, it's just a more risque show, i'd advise the kids don't watch. I'll give it 3-4 more episodes at least, see if anything grows as as far as the plot goes. I still have hope for it.

If anything is for sure, it's that Kermit's new girlfriend (in the limited time we saw her), is really annoying. It seemed like they were trying to imply he was just with her because she satisfies his needs if you get what i'm saying...

I watched it from DVR last night. I found parts of it to be fairly amusing and entertaining. Some parts were a bit uncomfortable. Too many "The Office" rip offs. It makes me wonder who they are really trying to target as an audience. It sure isn't die-hard muppet fans. My 14 year old son loved it, if that's who they're going after.

Next Big Thing

I watched it from DVR last night. I found parts of it to be fairly amusing and entertaining. Some parts were a bit uncomfortable. Too many "The Office" rip offs. It makes me wonder who they are really trying to target as an audience. It sure isn't die-hard muppet fans. My 14 year old son loved it, if that's who they're going after.
I think that may be who they are targeting... a younger audience (not necessarily too young as many jokes are dirty) to help boost this franchise back into the pop culture lime-light.

NearTheEars

To way in on The Muppets, I didn't fully love it, but I didn't hate it. It was actually fairly good and really funny at parts. I just think a big reason for the mild response to it is that it feels like a 30 rock rip off (in reality, The original Muppet show was similar in that it was a backstage look). Where people are really feeling a disconnect though I think is the dialogue given to the characters. People aren't used to the beloved muppets shown in such a risque light.

Yeah she was my least favorite thing. But like I said earlier I thought it was overall OK.

Cesar R M

As wrong as it sounds, this is the only way for ESPN to survive until the launch or become part of a streaming service which who knows... may or may not work. Gotta do what you gotta do...
funny thing you mean that. Most local tv networks (in Mexico) offers the sports and some channels (like fox+) for free for remote users.

Cesar R M

One final "In the Spirit of the Spirit" for today.

President Xi of China addressed a group of Elite Chinese and American company heads and assured them more law based government protection of Intellectual Property Rights (IPR). He promised a wider opening for international investment and sees $1.25 trillion in foreign investment in the next 10 years. As usual, link below.

https://en-maktoob.news.yahoo.com/x...fair-deal-voted-disney-221039158--sector.html

*1023*
but..but.. trump says they're all bad! even if they make his clothes!

tribbleorlfl

I think that may be who they are targeting... a younger audience (not necessarily too young as many jokes are dirty) to help boost this franchise back into the pop culture lime-light.
I disagree. I actually think the new show is geared towards the 30-something set as the 80 and 90's wave of nostalgia continues to sell.

Between the format (Office/Modern Family parody) and more mature-skewed humor and situations, I think it's clear they've abandoned marketing the Muppets to kids. They already tried with the web shorts, the 2009 movie and Most Wanted and failed to catch on with the younger generation. Which is a shame, because some of those viral shorts are as good as the Muppets ever were and my family super-enjoyed the Jason Segal film.

Next Big Thing

I disagree. I actually think the new show is geared towards the 30-something set as the 80 and 90's wave of nostalgia continues to sell.

Between the format (Office/Modern Family parody) and more mature-skewed humor and situations, I think it's clear they've abandoned marketing the Muppets to kids. They already tried with the web shorts, the 2009 movie and Most Wanted and failed to catch on with the younger generation. Which is a shame, because some of those viral shorts are as good as the Muppets ever were and my family super-enjoyed the Jason Segal film.
I wasn't clear... What I meant by younger crowd was twenty-somethings and on-wards. But they really want that twenty something audience... a lucrative market.

AEfx

Where people are really feeling a disconnect though I think is the dialogue given to the characters. People aren't used to the beloved muppets shown in such a risque light.

That's actually one of the things the show did so well. The Muppets were originally more subversive/"risque" (in fact, one of the original Muppet Show pilots was called "Sex and Violence"), and they were part of the first season of SNL.

The big mistake Disney had made with them previously was making them too squeaky clean and removing their personalities to make them "Disney Characters".

The show did well, particularly against the two juggernauts it was scheduled at the same time as (NCIS, The Voice). I really enjoyed it - the only complaint I had was that I wish it had been an hour show as opposed to only 1/2. I really loved the premise (I was lukewarm before seeing it, didn't even know that Piggy was the star of the show which I adored), and I can't wait to see more of the Muppets as they should be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom