A Spirited Perfect Ten

Rodan75

I think the writing is horrible. They're taking the characters in directions that just don't make any sense, kermit specifically. This is not the Kermit I grew up with. The Muppets I grew up with had a heart and had a soul… I didn't see any of that last night. All I saw was a bad rip off of 30 rock.

So needless to say go ahead, warm up the bulldozers…

It was 1 episode. I think it was 'ok'. But comedies tend to take a couple of episodes to find their groove, so I hope folks give The Muppets a couple of episodes to work out the kinks, if it isn't much better by mid-October than I'm jumping on your bandwagon.

michmousefan

That's exactly it. They tried way too hard. They are trying to force them to be something that they are not.

Gonzo was right… This trope where they have the cutaways to the interviews? Looking right at the cameras? That's over Done and I blame MTV's the real world for that becoming a thing. It would be one thing if it was brilliant satire? But it's not.
I didn't like it either; they are trying to have it both ways and failing both ways - but it's high art compared to that Neil Patrick Harris train wreck a couple hours later on NBC...

gmajew

Premium Member
I'm willing to give Muppets a few more views. It wasn't terrible, but I was hoping for something that transcended the shows from which it draws inspiration. The problem as I see it is that the characters in "The Office" were such caricatures of themselves that replacing them with muppets doesn't actually make the characters (and dynamics between them) any more or less outlandish. Then again, I really enjoyed "The Office".

ABC has a wonderful track record for comedy sitcoms in our family. Our favorite shows, in no particular order, are Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, The Goldbergs, The Middle, and Last Man Standing. No competing station comes close for family-friendly comedy.

I am afraid to watch it now... I had such high hopes my kids had soccer and homework and it is sitting on the DVR....

Nmoody1

When will Spirit be back??? We need some juicy morsels!! I feel like there has to be some exciting discoveries in his time away!!

Speaking of which... heard a small morsel that Shanghai will soft open in the spring with a formal opening next October... has anyone else heard similar rumblings?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Many of us have, and many of us disagree.

Personally, I think the general direction of park improvement and management have changed for the better in the last 10 years, to the point to where a general positive outlook is the most logical one. Regardless, exclusively focusing on the negatives is each individual Disney fan's prerogative, but in the face of the general turnaround I find it tiresome.

What imaginary turnaround are you talking about last time I checked WDW is still closing things with no replacement and cheapening the experience while raising prices

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Is that what you think you are doing here?

Perhaps if you had an established track record of truthful post, your opinion would carry a bit more gravitas. Alas, you've been willfully dishonest so many times, and caught in those lies so many times, your shtick is nothing more than tired performance art.

Pointing out things you don't want to hear is not lying. And I do afflict you you seem to follow every one of my posts. Yet for the most part I simply don't care what you have to say or that of your echo chamber on the PML

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Again, in the Spirit of this thread's Standard Bearer, I give you this story which may also have passed unseen by many.

Disney has recently agreed to invest $65m in a VR camera company. Jaunt, a based in California, makes the hardware and software for cameras shooting in 360 degrees. This investment for Disney helps move them further along the delivery timeline of cinematic VR releases.

Personally, I would love to walk through the movie or just spin my chair in the world of Pandora. But hey, I am a bit dizzy anyway... Many other companies are pushing hard at this tech and investing in similar start ups or their own tech. Links to the story below.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2015-09-21/disney-leads-65m-investment-in-jaunt-virtual-reality
http://en.miui.com/thread-163509-1-1.html#pid3091179

*1023*

jakeman

Pointing out things you don't want to hear is not lying. And I do afflict you you seem to follow every one of my posts. Yet for the most part I simply don't care what you have to say or that of your echo chamber on the PML
You're consistently and willfully dishonest. See the link below for a sample.

PHOTOS - Disney reveals new lobby design and Trader Sam's lounge for the Polynesian

It really has nothing to do with the PML, but I appreciate your spirited deflection.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Another thing that would normally make it's way onto Spirited post:

ESPN is preparing to layoff 200 to 300 people. If I missed this story listed here I am sorry. These layoffs are predictable and should have been expected after the reports of losses in this area. Mr. Skipper has been trying to protect his hide and others but it seems the writing is on the wall. The links to this story below.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/09/21/layoffs-are-coming-to-espn/
http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/191112/disney-dis-falls-on-news-of-espns-workforce-reduction

*1023*

PhotoDave219

ESPN is preparing to layoff 200 to 300 people. If I missed this story listed here I am sorry. These layoffs are predictable and should have been expected after the reports of losses in this area. Mr. Skipper has been trying to protect his hide and others but it seems the writing is on the wall. The links to this story below.

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/191112/disney-dis-falls-on-news-of-espns-workforce-reduction

*1023*

Absolutely horrible.

ESPN isnt the magical sports place to work much in the same way that WDW isn't the magical place to work either. You're just a cog in a machine.

jakeman

Look, I actually like both your posts.... Both present polar opposite opinions.

Can you take the argument to PMs? Thanks.
Oh I like his post too. Low hanging fruit and all that.

Sometimes, the guy on the street corner yelling is fun to watch. Occasionally, it's fun to yell back.

I guess the danger there is you become the other guy on the other street corner. :oops: :D

jakeman

*1023*
They really missed the boat how ever many years back (may have been before Disney ever got involved) in regional sports channels like Fox has.

PhotoDave219

They really missed the boat how ever many years back (may have been before Disney ever got involved) in regional sports channels like Fox has.

Or even Comcast. Comcast Sportsnet (CSN) started in Philly as PRISM with the Phillies and the Flyers in the early 80s and grew into the network it is. As Comcast got bigger, they started doing that in other cities. Fantastic idea Imo.

ABQ

That's one possible thing they could or should have done, though those channels are typically terrible. I'd put up a NESN against FoxSportsArizona any day. However, I think what their real pressure is, in terms of what prompts layoffs, is, though it's sports, it operates like any other news outlet. All such operations are shrinking. With far more technology providing more and more ways to collect and disseminate data, less human capital is necessary.
I'm sure @PhotoDave219 will swiftly correct any wrong assumptions I have made, but may also be able to corroborate, based on his proximity to such things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom