A Spirited Perfect Ten

WDWFanDave

I figured I'd put this here, sorry if it's off topic (is there one?). I just got home from a week at WDW. I've been going since 1978, and have been there in the good times, the great times, the bad times, and the really bad times. Not saying that we're back to the great times, but I will say that this was the best trip we've had in recent years. We met some absolutely amazing CMs along the way, had some great conversations, and even enjoyed the food this year (TS and QS). Of course, I'm excited for what's coming, but I left this time really anxious to contemplate our next visit...and not because the kiddo really really wants to go, but because I do too. So, to those who are turning the ship around...thank you. We noticed, and we'll be back. Gotta run for now, I'm exhausted, but I will check in over the next few days and share some experiences in the appropriate threads.

the.dreamfinder

In important Disney news, no Jock's booze hanger is not a big deal, the company has appointed Maria Elena Lagomasino to the BoD as an independent director. She comes from a financial background having served as Chase Manhattan Bank's Chairman and CEO in the 90's before its merger with JP Morgan. It remains to be seen if she will be a truly independent director or another one of Bob's rubber stamps. With Bob as both CEO and Chairman of the Board, the individuals who are appointed to the board should have additional scrutiny because someone like Bob, as Michael Eisner did, can co opt the board so it makes decisions in the executive's interests instead of serving as the shareholder's check against them. CALstrs, one of Disney's largest shareholders, has been vocal on the subject since the weatherman combined the positions three years ago.
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/maria-elena-lagomasino-disney-board-1201600028/

Bairstow

I don't know, it might take with a new audience. Us old timers will take some time to adjust to the different personalities and story lines. When you come right down to it, what else does ABC have. They might as well give it a run and see if it can find its audience.

I thought it was pretty good, though it kept reminding me of Meet the Feebles.

Next Big Thing

I don't know, it might take with a new audience. Us old timers will take some time to adjust to the different personalities and story lines. When you come right down to it, what else does ABC have. They might as well give it a run and see if it can find its audience.
Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder for starters... two award winning shows. Plus shows targeted at very specific audiences like Once Upon A Time and Agents of Shield. Not to mention their hold on reality in Dancing with the Stars and The Bachelor. Their comedy block is pretty solid too (Black-ish and Modern Family specifically).

All of the shows mentioned get great ratings whether it be live or after DVR is included. ABC is thriving now more than it has in a long, long time.

Goofyernmost

Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder for starters... two award winning shows. Plus shows targeted at very specific audiences like Once Upon A Time and Agents of Shield. Not to mention their hold on reality in Dancing with the Stars and The Bachelor. Their comedy block is pretty solid too (Black-ish and Modern Family specifically).

All of the shows mentioned get great ratings whether it be live or after DVR is included. ABC is thriving now more than it has in a long, long time.
I'll take your word for that. I hardly watch any TV anymore other then a couple of cable channels. I can get 193 channels and with all that choice can find almost nothing that doesn't bore me to tears. I watch a little golf and like history, etc. but not much else. I'm not a TV snob, if they would put something on that I like, I would watch it.

Another problem I find is that back in the day when you could just look at your TV guide magazine and see what was coming on it was easier to spot something that might be of interest. Now even though it is push button easy, it still requires a lot of time to scan what is on and what you might like to see. Especially for someone, like myself, that really hasn't kept up with it.

PhotoDave219

I am willing to give it some more time. Best line of the night belonged to Animal, IMO. "Too many women, too many towns". I think the time slot is a kick in the Beaker. Up against The Voice and NCIS? Ouch.

I think the writing is horrible. They're taking the characters in directions that just don't make any sense, kermit specifically. This is not the Kermit I grew up with. The Muppets I grew up with had a heart and had a soul… I didn't see any of that last night. All I saw was a bad rip off of 30 rock.

So needless to say go ahead, warm up the bulldozers…

WildcatDen

I think the writing is horrible. They're taking the characters in directions that just don't make any sense, kermit specifically. This is not the Kermit I grew up with. The Muppets I grew up with had a heart and had a soul… I didn't see any of that last night. All I saw was a bad rip off of 30 rock.

So needless to say go ahead, warm up the bulldozers…
I respect that Dave. I really do, and I do not necessarily disagree. But then again, I think my daughter summed it up, "Sassy Kermit, Sassy". Still, I am willing to give it a few episodes. I think part of the problem is, with that many characters, they try to make every frame a 'bit' of some kind. Like they were trying too hard.

PhotoDave219

I respect that Dave. I really do, and I do not necessarily disagree. But then again, I think my daughter summed it up, "Sassy Kermit, Sassy". Still, I am willing to give it a few episodes. I think part of the problem is, with that many characters, they try to make every frame a 'bit' of some kind. Like they were trying too hard.

That's exactly it. They tried way too hard. They are trying to force them to be something that they are not.

Gonzo was right… This trope where they have the cutaways to the interviews? Looking right at the cameras? That's over Done and I blame MTV's the real world for that becoming a thing. It would be one thing if it was brilliant satire? But it's not.

stretchsje

I'm willing to give Muppets a few more views. It wasn't terrible, but I was hoping for something that transcended the shows from which it draws inspiration. The problem as I see it is that the characters in "The Office" were such caricatures of themselves that replacing them with muppets doesn't actually make the characters (and dynamics between them) any more or less outlandish. Then again, I really enjoyed "The Office".

ABC has a wonderful track record for comedy sitcoms in our family. Our favorite shows, in no particular order, are Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, The Goldbergs, The Middle, and Last Man Standing. No competing station comes close for family-friendly comedy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom