A Spirited Perfect Ten

cdd89

A few observations from a recent 5 day trip.

Negative:
  • Unconvinced on the replaced sign above the launch track on RnRC... the one designed to look like a freeway message board sign. Or more accurately, the one formerly designed to look like a freeway message board sign but now looks like a cheap LED screen with standard fonts.
  • What is going on with the constant bubble-blowing (at all four parks)? I'm sure Disney would like to present this as their way of 'plussing' the guest experience, but it feels more like a cheap substitute for dedicated guest entertainment.
  • The Magic Kingdom's hub makes the place feel more crowded, not less, due to the huge expanse with nothing but guests occupying it.
  • I spent a very long time looking for (and asking CMs after) the $1 locker rentals outside the park at Epcot, referenced on this live page... without success. It looks like they have been quietly removed. I ended up paying $8 for an in-park locker with associated annoyances (mainly joining the With Bags line at security). If I'm wrong and they're there after all, I'll take back this particular comment... but only partially!

Positive:
  • WDW's California Grill has to be one of the best table service Disney restaurants in the world. It actually left me feeling warm toward the Magic Kingdom, which is a tough sell these days! That said, the rest of the Contemporary is looking a little ropey, and not befitting its rates: I completely understand why people pay what they do to stay there, and I agree that a multi-million dollar modernization program wouldn't increase room rates commensurately, but it's sad Disney has taken that decision.
  • The permanent stage that has replaced the hat in DHS actually looks pretty good - tasteful, doesn't look out of place when not in use, and pretty great generally.

Bairstow

• What is going on with the constant bubble-blowing (at all four parks)? I'm sure Disney would like to present this as their way of 'plussing' the guest experience, but it feels more like a cheap substitute for dedicated guest entertainment.
Is this with old-fashioned bubble wands, or is it with those battery-powered fan blowers they're always trying to sell?

A few observations from a recent 5 day trip.

Negative:
  • I spent a very long time looking for (and asking CMs after) the $1 locker rentals outside the park at Epcot, referenced on this live page... without success. It looks like they have been quietly removed. I ended up paying $8 for an in-park locker with associated annoyances (mainly joining the With Bags line at security). If I'm wrong and they're there after all, I'll take back this particular comment... but only partially!

Where were you looking? We last used one of these things in 2012, and they were in a covered building all the way out at the resort bus stop areas, quite a distance from the main gate.

Next Big Thing

• The Magic Kingdom's hub makes the place feel more crowded, not less, due to the huge expanse with nothing but guests occupying it.
You were using it wrong then. The new hub is designed specifically for the purpose to hold more guests. Never was it designed to make you feel like it's less crowded while you are IN the hub. The main function of the improvement is making it larger for the outer ring, which is what the project really was aimed at. A crowd can be gathered watching FoF, Wishes, etc, but you can still walk right by it with ease. I did it on July 4th, i'm pretty sure there should be no problem in September.

Brewmaster

You were using it wrong then. The new hub is designed specifically for the purpose to hold more guests. Never was it designed to make you feel like it's less crowded while you are IN the hub. The main function of the improvement is making it larger for the outer ring, which is what the project really was aimed at. A crowd can be gathered watching FoF, Wishes, etc, but you can still walk right by it with ease. I did it on July 4th, i'm pretty sure there should be no problem in September.
image.jpg

TalkingHead

Question about Jock Whatever's: at what point does theming simply become clutter? Because in the clutter department, this place looks like it gives my local Cracker Barrel a run for its money.

Another thing. Since WDI is all about authenticity, why hang a picture with what's obviously a bunch of people in 2015 playing 1930s dress up? It looks nothing like a real vintage photograph.

Yeah, it's picking nits, but that's s'pposedly what WDI is all about. Or maybe it's all a ruse to sell more tacky souvenir glasses.

Haymarket2008

Question about Jock Whatever's: at what point does theming simply become clutter? Because in the clutter department, this place looks like it gives my local Cracker Barrel a run for its money.

Another thing. Since WDI is all about authenticity, why hang a picture with what's obviously a bunch of people in 2015 playing 1930s dress up? It looks nothing like a real vintage photograph.

Yeah, it's picking nits, but that's s'pposedly what WDI is all about. Or maybe it's all a ruse to sell more tacky souvenir glasses.

If you think Jock's is clutter, check out the retired Adventurer's Club. I think that the clutter you speak of is justified in this setting. It's a an old hanger so there is bound to be interesting things hanging around. This level of detail (a la Adventurer's Club, Trader Sam's, etc.) is totally okay by me. It looks amazing.

bhg469

Ill have to see it for myself but it definitely looks a little claustrophobic. I do like the look of the place, its just really cramped looking in the videos. When its full, I can't imagine what it will look like in there.

lazyboy97o

It seems to be from the larger confusion over the nature of detail; confusing elements that build a plausible world with ornament, self-reference and clutter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom