A Spirited Perfect Ten

Next Big Thing

Neither Walt Disney or Bob Iger were/are particularly concerned about their employees. I would not want either as a boss.

However, one significant difference is that Disney was primarily concerned about what his paying customers thought.

Iger is primarily concerned about what his shareholders think.

As a shareholder, I'd rather have Iger running the company.

As a customer, I'd rather have Disney running the company.
While I totally agree, the one thing I would add is that this is a company Walt created from the ground up. He wasn't going to let other people tell him how he should run his business (besides Roy of course). This was his baby.

In Iger's case, he was "acquired" in the purchase of ABC by Eisner and worked his way up to CEO. The company was 82 years old when he took over and he basically came in from outside being from ABC. He was chosen to be the next CEO because he was able to prove that he is good at what he does (as he's proven over the course of his tenure). He doesn't have nearly the personal connection to the company that Walt did, this is just a job for him. A very, very, very well paying job at that.

Wikkler

If you are not a popcorn gourmet skip this. Disney is making Pop Secret brand the official popcorn of Disney in the US. Pop Secret will become the title sponsor of Fantasmic. How about that, something new at the Studios. :joyfull: The things you find when researching a food company.
527.gif

truecoat

Missed her Sound of Music performance?

She's actually the only singer I can think of who can come close to Andrews' vocal range. It's doubtful she'd be cast but it wouldn't be unwarranted.

Anne Hathaway would be a good choice. Previous Disney work, can sing and does a pretty good impression of Julie Andrews...oh and she played Mary Poppins already.

FigmentJedi

I feel like they could have used a couple more hours. The World's Fair, Animatronics, 20,000 Leagues, a little more on the Good Neighbors program that was Walt's reason for going south of the border during the strike...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ah, you really are a one hit wonder aren't you?

I remember back when you would get 15-20 likes on posts like this, saying the same thing over and over. Now that we actually have a future and a plan unveiled for the parks, your shtick is getting incredibly dull and boring. You should have a writing session to come up with some new material.

Why - I did not bother to renew my annual pass for the first time in 20 years, And I DON'T believe that the plan will get executed

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You didn't think Avatar would happen either... (I can already hear the "Iger Vanity Project" response being typed).

Until it actually opens it has not 'happened',

Sorry I live in the world of reality and the reality is TWDC wants drug dealer profit levels while delivering the absolute minimum level of service to the guest, Not like the old days where the guest experience was paramount which is manifestly no longer the case.

I've gotten to the point where Disney is no longer a good value for money, Prices keep going up while service levels decline and nowhere is this more true than at DVC, Keep getting dirty rooms and broken appliances while the housekeeping fees increase by double digit percentages.

Next Big Thing

Until it actually opens it has not 'happened',

Sorry I live in the world of reality and the reality is TWDC wants drug dealer profit levels while delivering the absolute minimum level of service to the guest, Not like the old days where the guest experience was paramount which is manifestly no longer the case.

I've gotten to the point where Disney is no longer a good value for money, Prices keep going up while service levels decline and nowhere is this more true than at DVC, Keep getting dirty rooms and broken appliances while the housekeeping fees increase by double digit percentages.
Posted by @Disneyhead'71 over at OU:

"Pandora is going to be jaw dropping impressive. Visually, it's going to blow both Diagon Alley and Carsland out of the water. It will be the new bar in themed entertainment. Real TDS level theming right here in Otown.

This and Vocano Bay are going to make 2017 an impressive year."

This from someone who actually has a grasp of what is going on, unlike you. Diagon Alley is the best themed land in the country at the very least, potentially all of the world. If Pandora can top that, then I think they just might be on to something...

Bairstow

Posted by @Disneyhead'71 over at OU:

"Pandora is going to be jaw dropping impressive. Visually, it's going to blow both Diagon Alley and Carsland out of the water. It will be the new bar in themed entertainment. Real TDS level theming right here in Otown.

This and Vocano Bay are going to make 2017 an impressive year."

This from someone who actually has a grasp of what is going on, unlike you. Diagon Alley is the best themed land in the country at the very least, potentially all of the world. If Pandora can top that, then I think they just might be on to something...

You're both right to some extent.
Universal has been setting some high bars since 2012 that Disney has not yet been able to meet.
While advance word on Avatar is positive, the jury isn't just still out, it hasn't even been selected yet.

Next Big Thing

You're both right to some extent.
Universal has been setting some high bars since 2012 that Disney has not yet been able to meet.
While advance word on Avatar is positive, the jury isn't just still out, it hasn't even been selected yet.
The point is, WDW isn't burning in a dumpster fire as @ford91exploder seems to make it out to be all the time. There's actually a lot going on. But the narrative never changes. He always goes back to talking about cuts and making it seem like it's the beginning of the end. It's a theme park, it's not that big of a deal. Plus, the "cuts" are actually being made so improvements can come to the parks. Would you believe that...

While he has some valid points, he simply can't be reasoned with so I won't even bother trying anymore.

Goofyernmost

Tom Sito states that Walt made 100X more than his lowest paid workers (Ink and Painters) during a time when the studio was in deep financial straights and is vilanised to the point of caricature for this fact. Yet today we have a tremendously profitable modern Disney Company in which Bob Iger makes 2,238X more than his median worker[1]. TWDC's workforce is predominately theme park Cast Members who are effectively part of America's working poor. How can you enrich oneself so throughly whilst allowing those who generate such wealth to live in poverty? Who is the true villain?

[1]
http://nytimes.com/2015/04/12/busin...er-pay-gap-data-remains-hidden.html?referrer=
The company with the widest pay gap on the list Twas Walt Disney, whose chief executive, Robert Iger, received $43.7 million last year. Given Mr. Baker’s estimate that Disney’s median worker received $19,530 last year, that translates to a C.E.O. multiple of 2,238 to one.
And if you wanted to put that all in some sort of perspective... Walt Disney created that business. If anyone should be able to profit from it shouldn't it be the one that imagined, created, took the risks and drove it to success? It seem like he contributed a hundred times more to the success then they did just by establishing it to begin with. Now, if you want a contrast think Iger. What the hell did he ever do to model and create the business? What did he ever risk? Considering what I will assume is a "golden parachute" attached to his contract that amounts to more money then the rest of us will ever see in our lives, I'd say that the villain is the modern one, not the guy that made it all possible.

Phil12

I'm a vindictive jerk....but I have good hair....

*1023*
But do you engage in illegal and unethical business practices as did Walt Disney? Do you hire known organized crime enforcers to engage in extortion on your behalf as did Walt Disney during the 1941 strike?

UpAllNight

The point is, WDW isn't burning in a dumpster fire as @ford91exploder seems to make it out to be all the time. There's actually a lot going on. But the narrative never changes. He always goes back to talking about cuts and making it seem like it's the beginning of the end. It's a theme park, it's not that big of a deal. Plus, the "cuts" are actually being made so improvements can come to the parks. Would you believe that...

While he has some valid points, he simply can't be reasoned with so I won't even bother trying anymore.

Was critical of WDW myself after my recent visit but I feel much better about it now knowing that there's new things on the way. Projects like Frozen suddenly become 'something else new to do"' rather than 'is that all they're doing??'. I think Avatar is shaping up magnificently and we all know it'll set the benchmark that Disney will simply have to exceed for Star Wars.

It's suddenly exciting times which I didn't feel just 2 months back. Still, let's be realistic there's still a heck of a lot of work to be done. Magic Kingdom hasn't had an E-ticket in how long? Tomorrowland's a mess as is Future World at Epcot. Animal Kingdom still needs new additions.

If they're building though, I'm happy. Let's just hope it continues across all parks up to and beyond the 50th.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom