A Spirited Perfect Ten

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour

Thanks for the link. I am not sure what illegal action exists from this February 2010 article. This small union chose to hold a hunger strike to highlight that they were not getting 100% paid healthcare. It also states that 30 of the 31 unions where then on that "signature plan" and that local 11 was the only one that balked.

I support their right to protest in a constructive and peaceful way. I would have to assume since I have not witnessed this protest and have stayed at the Grand Californian many times since February 2010 this dispute was settled.

This is one time you have confused me my friend.

*1023*

gmajew

That maybe why it happens, but, it doesn't even close to justify it. Disney was public for awhile when Walt was in charge as well. One has nothing to do with the other. It has to do with compensation. For example, everything including the jobs of ALL of Walt's employee's hinged on the success of Snow White. Walt's very being was at risk, his reputation, his dreams, etc. The employee's only had their jobs on the line with no real responsibility for debt or anything other then a job that can be replaced easily. No, it was Walt (and Roy) that were taking all those risks. He had 100 times more to lose then the employees. He had to make the decisions that would affect not only himself, but, every single one of the employees.

Somehow that translates into "it isn't fair", he makes a lot more then us. He had a lot more invested then all of them. Why shouldn't there be a discrepancy, and a big one. I know if I built a business took all the risks, spent years in an up and down situation. One day doing well, the next eating out of cans, I would have felt that I earned that extra and would have taken it. I also believe that any of the people that say they wouldn't are just kidding themselves.

On the other end we have Iger. Nothing to lose other then reputation, Iger. A man who has enough money already to leave tomorrow with millions in the bank, no responsibility for the debt of the corporation. Never an original thought, never a risky venture that might blow up and cost him personally. Just a nice office, a big title and security for the rest of his life. He and others like him are just pure greed. Walt after the union, took actions to protect himself and his family. The exact same thing that anyone of us would have done in a similar situation.

Unless one has owned a business and built it from nothing, we can not have an opinion on how the owner operates it. If Walt hadn't known what he was doing, there would be no Disney Company today, seventy plus years later. He is a person that happens once in a hundred years. Many have talent, only a few can take that talent to its maximum and benefit millions in one form or the other. Walt's compensation should have been a thousand times over the others for what he created and the impact that his actions had on the world and all of us that were lucky enough to be here during some of the same years we were is priceless.

We are in agreement completely... I take my risk in my business it is my money I invest etc... But when I go public I have cashed out at some portion of my ownership and then I report to more then just me.

We are in agreement completely.

gmajew

So you're saying it is ok to commit a crime? To illegally fire people? Is that what you're saying? It's ok for Disney to make money but not the people who actually do the work that makes him the money?

There are legal ways to get around that law and yes I have done them in the past. It is called layoffs and the union supporters are part of it.

But again at this time Unions were not 100% ethical in their practices and how they went about things as well. It was a vastly different time and a different way the world worked. My grandfather was beaten for not joining his union don't think that is the way it was suppose to go either.

Goofyernmost

We are in agreement completely... I take my risk in my business it is my money I invest etc... But when I go public I have cashed out at some portion of my ownership and then I report to more then just me.

We are in agreement completely.
True, and when you go public you are incorporated and your personal liability becomes a lot smaller plus you are using someone else's money, right? Then you are just in it because it's a job that pays you and you have to keep your stockholders happy, they are for all purposes, the boss. So, yes we do agree.

the.dreamfinder

The Walt Disney Family Museum responds to "American Experience:Walt Disney"
http://www.waltdisney.org/blog/american-experience-walt-disney
American Experience: Walt Disney
WGBH’s American Experience: Walt Disney, which aired on PBS this week,was created independently of The Walt Disney Family Museum. The museum promotes the examination of Walt Disney’s life and legacy and is encouraged at the ongoing interest in this incredible icon of the 20th century. However, the museum only supports examinations of Walt’s life that are based on fact, not on extrapolation, interpretation, or ex post factopsychologizing, and further which take into account, as all reputable and responsible biographical reviews do, historical context.

The American Experience program reminds us that part of the impetus for Diane Disney Miller's founding of The Walt Disney Family Museum was to respond to biographers and historians more eager to interpret Walt than to discover him. Her goal was to open the personal story of her father's life for the global community to read and experience--so that we can all find answers to questions about the man through the wealth of personal artifacts and primary sources on display. Diane said the museum was her book, and it is clearly as relevant and necessary a book today as it was when she founded it six years ago.

One of the museum's early blogs was entitled, In Defense of Walt, and it seems an appropriate time to make this available once more: http://www.waltdisney.org/blog/defense-walt-disney

We welcome you to visit The Walt Disney Family Museum to learn more about Walt, the man. And through his story, we hope you will feel inspired to heed your own imagination and persevere in pursuing your goals.

If you have watched American Experience: Walt Disney, we’d love to hear what YOU think. #WaltDisneyPBS

HMF

The difference is once a company goes public then the have others to report to. Prior to the company being public anything can and should be allowed. Sucks but once you sell to the public you may be the majority owner but you still have others you must report to.
This is why I wish it had never gone public. Walt's biggest mistake in my opinion was blowing his Snow White earnings on the Burbank Studios. If he had just waited a few years until the end of World War II he probably would not have had the financial problems which would force him to take it public.

GiveMeTheMusic

I thought it was a fair portrait of the man. I know it wasn't 100% positive but it was not in any way unfair.

I haven't done much research on the topic as I don't really care about his book, but I do know there are several people who have noted Gabler's book to be riddled with factual inaccuracies. Miller apparently spoke with him against her better judgment and wasn't pleased with the result. I'd Google it now, but Trump is gonna be on soon or something

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom