A Spirited Perfect Ten

gmajew

Best part of the doc was when they said he grabbed a mask and helped paint back drops to get Disneyland open on time the night before.

That is he type of leader you respect and I strive to be for my companies. Why he is a idol of mine.

Tigger1988

Best part of the doc was when they said he grabbed a mask and helped paint back drops to get Disneyland open on time the night before.

That is he type of leader you respect and I strive to be for my companies. Why he is a idol of mine.
Not sure that outweighs the naming names and accusing his workers of being communists to me lol

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'd say that was more true of the first half than the second. To me the only real shock was Song of the South. Everything else has pretty much been covered even in Disney published material.
I probably should break down and watch it...but I'm holding off to the weekend...

I'll cook myself a nice steak and potato, pour me a beer, and enjoy the show...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Considering his only "evidence" was the fact that they decided to strike. Likely not.
Considering what led to strikes for workers paid to do what they did during the economy at the time, he had every right to feel slighted, imho. And, without a doubt, labor organizers targeted captains of industry and culture, as he was both...to tear down their organizations from within.

gmajew

Not sure that outweighs the naming names and accusing his workers of being communists to me lol

Hate to say it we all call our employees names at times. Sometimes the passion you have for what you do is so great you forget what is right and say thing in the heat of passion. It is not right but we have all did when you are passionate about what you create.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
He named names and accused people with no actual proof. Only his own paranoia. To put it kindest terms possible...that was a d*ck move.
He was a far cry from McCarthy. But, I will grant you that. He did get paranoid. Thank god he took that vacation or the whole mess would have torn him apart, but I doubt his concerns were without reason. It's just that it's far more nuanced.

Tigger1988

Hate to say it we all call our employees names at times. Sometimes the passion you have for what you do is so great you forget what is right and say thing in the heat of passion. It is not right but we have all did when you are passionate about what you create.
You've testified against your former employees? Talking about someone behind closed doors isn't the same as what Walt did.

He said what he did 6 years after the strike. He was holding onto that passion for half a decade?

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Considering his only "evidence" was the fact that they decided to strike. Likely not.

While I know Walt was no saint and disdain the idea of cannonizing him, let's at least have a fact or two/

Copy of the LA Times obit in 2007:

David Hilberman, whose union activities at Walt Disney Studios and brief membership in the Communist Party led to his blacklisting and shadowed a long career that included founding the innovative United Productions of America studio, has died. He was 95.

<snip>
Although Hilberman had spent six months working at the Leningrad State People's Theater and attending the Leningrad Academy of Fine Art in 1932, he frequently denied ever having been a communist.

But in 1979 he told Canemaker, "Up to the war, for about three years, I was a communist. Once the war came along, everybody plunged into the war effort, everybody's on the same side.... The strike itself was not communist-led. I was floored when some obviously communist-inspired material was put up on the bulletin board."
</snip>

*1023*

Link: http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jul/21/local/me-hilberman21

gmajew

You've testified against your former employees? Talking about someone behind closed doors isn't the same as what Walt did.

He said what he did 6 years after the strike. He was holding onto that passion for half a decade?

Different bully pulpit... but same principals. I am not defending him it was wrong and things I have done have been as well. Just saying it happens and we do it leaders are not perfect men or woman.

Tigger1988

While I know Walt was no saint and disdain the idea of cannonizing him, let's at least have a fact or two/

Copy of the LA Times obit in 2007:

David Hilberman, whose union activities at Walt Disney Studios and brief membership in the Communist Party led to his blacklisting and shadowed a long career that included founding the innovative United Productions of America studio, has died. He was 95.

<snip>
Although Hilberman had spent six months working at the Leningrad State People's Theater and attending the Leningrad Academy of Fine Art in 1932, he frequently denied ever having been a communist.

But in 1979 he told Canemaker, "Up to the war, for about three years, I was a communist. Once the war came along, everybody plunged into the war effort, everybody's on the same side.... The strike itself was not communist-led. I was floored when some obviously communist-inspired material was put up on the bulletin board."
</snip>

*1023*

Link: http://articles.latimes.com/2007/jul/21/local/me-hilberman21
Walt named many people. Most of whom had no reason to be. Just a sampling from Jim Korkis:

"As you read Walt Disney's testimony for the HUAC, let's put some of the cast of characters whom Walt mentions into better perspective:

Herbert Sorrell was definitely hated by Walt but there is no reason to believe he was a Communist. Other friendly witnesses failed to identify Sorrell as a Communist even though they had plenty of opportunity to do so. Sorrell was the leader and negotiator for the Screen Cartoonists Guild and was known for playing tough. There is evidence that Walt didn't care for Sorrell personally as well as professionally.

William Pomerance was hired by the union after the strike and had nothing to do with it."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom