A Spirited Perfect Ten

Next Big Thing

Of course I don't understand I've only been supporting e-commerce and content distribution networks on the 'Net since the '90's I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to make money on the internet. YouTube makes money for GOOGLE and throws some small change to the creators (who otherwise would not have a online presence). Otherwise they would need to pay for hosting and transit on the internet so it's a fair exchange.
You seem to be missing the fact that Maker Studios is a completely separate company from Google/YouTube. The creators that get picked for Maker are contracted and given incentives to work towards to make more money. In Makers case, Youtube isn't really paying them, Maker is.

FigmentJedi

No kidding. It's a tired and predictable criticism that could be applied to many commercially successful American products from 1948 to 1962, not just Walt Disney and his little theme park in Anaheim.

I'm surprised PBS can still find an old college professor like Ms. Douglas who had kept her syllabus from her class on Media History 201, Fall Semester 1986. I stopped watching PBS over a decade ago. I'm now reminded why.
At least most of the other clips look like that sorta thinking is outnumbered. And they even had that article straight up saying they aren't even gonna acknowledge the anti-semite rumor crap.

Lee

Adventurer
But why though? Youtube is just an evolution of Television...except the viewer is the one making it. Sure there's a bunch of cat videos and stuff on there, but there's also a lot of real content. Just because they didn't start out in LA and audition means they can't be accepted as real media? Grace Helbig actually got her own show on E! from her YouTube success. Does that make her anymore relevant? Because she was on a channel no one watches but yet it's still TV so she's somehow more credible?

Please remind me what there was before Television? Radio, correct? Everything evolves.
Eh...it's just my opinion. I'm old school in that way.

For me, YouTube is for watching clips of TV shows, concerts, etc. I have no interest in watching original content there at all.

It's just unappealing to me. (Even that name, Pewdiepie or whatever, repells me. Just has a hipster, millennial vibe that annoys me.)

Grace Helbig? No idea who that is. (I dislike E! in general) I don't care where someone gets their start. They become relevant (if at all) to me when they hit TV or the theater.
Otherwise....I'll pass.

Mouse Trap

BTW the average payout to the creator per page view on YouTube is $0.000065. So you will need about a million page views to make $65 bucks.

Celebrities appear on YouTube as a form of 'free' publicity for them, not with any reasonable intent of profiting from their appearance.

You've got a lonnnnngggg way to go before understanding this industry if you think Maker is only making a couple hundred bucks per video. The way you're talking I wouldn't be surprised if you're still cutting checks to AOL for internet connection.

http://socialblade.com/youtube/youtube-money-calculator

Put in some channels under Maker in there, then we can talk $$$. There's plenty of tools which will give you an idea how much a YouTube channel makes.

If Maker.tv has a successful transition from YouTube (which will take 2-3 years) they are going to be worth A LOT more than a billion. 5.5 billion combined daily views is no joke if they pull away.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Eh...it's just my opinion. I'm old school in that way.

For me, YouTube is for watching clips of TV shows, concerts, etc. I have no interest in watching original content there at all.

It's just unappealing to me. (Even that name, Pewdiepie or whatever, repells me. Just has a hipster, millennial vibe that annoys me.)

Grace Helbig? No idea who that is. (I dislike E! in general) I don't care where someone gets their start. They become relevant (if at all) to me when they hit TV or the theater.
Otherwise....I'll pass.
I definitely get it from your perspective.

That was my point about Grace though... what's the difference in being on E! (I dislike it too, but that's part of my point) from having a daily show on Youtube that gets millions of views? I get that YOU aren't watching either way (lol), but I don't see why TV matters all that much if you are pulling the numbers.

lazyboy97o

Of course I don't understand I've only been supporting e-commerce and content distribution networks on the 'Net since the '90's I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to make money on the internet. YouTube makes money for GOOGLE and throws some small change to the creators (who otherwise would not have a online presence). Otherwise they would need to pay for hosting and transit on the internet so it's a fair exchange.
Why do you always insist on just making stuff up? YouTube doesn't make money for Google.

Nubs70

BTW the average payout to the creator per page view on YouTube is $0.000065. So you will need about a million page views to make $65 bucks.

Celebrities appear on YouTube as a form of 'free' publicity for them, not with any reasonable intent of profiting from their appearance.
So breakeven for this investment would take 7.7 trillion page views?

Cosmic Commando

A load of pretentious nonsense. Not unlike Banksy's latest ridiculous stunt that got a lot of coverage here in the UK.

A Disney theme park is meant to be an escapist experience, the whole point of them is to make you forget the real world and just have some fun. Why is that a bad thing? Why do supposedly intelligent people have such an issue grasping that concept? Its something that bothers me more than it should, when people twist and distort reality in order to depict Walt Disney as some sot of con man and apply an utterly pointless intellectual critique to something that is gloriously simple.
And if Disney built Disney's America with the Underground Railroad experience, those same people would have said that it was too complex of an issue for a theme park setting, and that Disney was trivializing the whole thing by turning it into an entertainment experience.

PhotoDave219

Just for as an example of the power of youtube...

PewDiePie (signed under Maker) is worth $12M. Ariana Grande, even with all her success and donut-licking, is only worth slightly more at $16M.

PewDiePie has over 36 Million subscribers and 8.4 BILLION lifetime views. He's uploaded 2,449 videos. So break that down to simple math and you get:

8,400,000,000/2,449 = 3,429,971... so basically, he averages more than many TV shows get and since he's on youtube and the style of his show, almost all of his audience is within the 18-34 demo, so his 18-34 stat would be extremely high and rank incredibly well, possibly even better than some of the highest rated shows on TV right now.

I don't expect you to understand all of these facts though, @ford91exploder

He may have subscribers but he's annoying as spit.

PhotoDave219

Never mind the media...I refuse to accept YouTube "stars."
The very notion of it is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

That. That right there.

Maybe it's my day. Maybe it was the senseless murders earlier. Maybe it was covering the end of the chase, jumping over barbed wire fences and traipsing through the woods. Maybe it was getting yelled at by the police just trying to get a photo of a car.

But the hell with YouTube stars and the faux celebrity culture that Comes with it. They don't do anything beyond feeding into everything that is wrong with this world.

lazyboy97o

A load of pretentious nonsense. Not unlike Banksy's latest ridiculous stunt that got a lot of coverage here in the UK.

A Disney theme park is meant to be an escapist experience, the whole point of them is to make you forget the real world and just have some fun. Why is that a bad thing? Why do supposedly intelligent people have such an issue grasping that concept? Its something that bothers me more than it should, when people twist and distort reality in order to depict Walt Disney as some sot of con man and apply an utterly pointless intellectual critique to something that is gloriously simple.
Escapism is the critique. This is why Hench denied the notion of escapism and instead said that the parks offer reassurance. Escapism is inherently negative and pessimistic; that things are bad, you know they are bad but would rather be selfish and only make yourself feel better. It is disconnected, cut off like a doped up drug addict only looking for that next fix. Reassurance is positive. It doesn't push away the outside, but reframes and excites notions of doing more, of doing better.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That. That right there.

Maybe it's my day. Maybe it was the senseless murders earlier. Maybe it was covering the end of the chase, jumping over barbed wire fences and traipsing through the woods. Maybe it was getting yelled at by the police just trying to get a photo of a car.

But the hell with YouTube stars and the faux celebrity culture that Comes with it. They don't do anything beyond feeding into everything that is wrong with this world.

Yes exactly so, What I use YouTube for is instructional videos of which there are many describing everything from how to fix a tractor to playing a musical instrument, These are the embodiment of what makes the internet fun the sharing of knowledge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom