A Spirited Perfect Ten

FigmentJedi

I'm more surprised by that trailer because it is a line of criticism that seems to have surged in the mid-80s and flamed out by the early 1990s.
I can tell you right now that never went away in academia. Had a professor spouting the same crap in some history class my last year of college and was super dismissive of things that went against his narrative.

TP2000

I'm more surprised by that trailer because it is a line of criticism that seems to have surged in the mid-80s and flamed out by the early 1990s.

No kidding. It's a tired and predictable criticism that could be applied to many commercially successful American products from 1948 to 1962, not just Walt Disney and his little theme park in Anaheim.

I'm surprised PBS can still find an old college professor like Ms. Douglas who had kept her syllabus from her class on Media History 201, Fall Semester 1986. I stopped watching PBS over a decade ago. I'm now reminded why.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

I think @ford91exploder and anyone else who dismisses Maker Studios needs to watch this video... it pretty much sums things up. The online stars have HUGE audiences but the supposed "real" media still refuses to accept or respect them.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I think @ford91exploder and anyone else who dismisses Maker Studios needs to watch this video... it pretty much sums things up. The online stars have HUGE audiences but the supposed "real" media still refuses to accept or respect them.

What kind of cheese goes along with the whining, 'Nobody thinks we are special' Rest assured if the 'real' media thought they were worth money they would be picked up by the 'real' media.

Right now GOOG is laughing all the way to the bank while these would be celebrities whine, YouTube is like a self published book, On average hosting your video on YouTube means your audience is too small for the mainstream to be interested. GOOG is collecting a few mils each page view so they don't care about the size of the audience for an individual video they make money on the aggregate of all videos viewed.

Next Big Thing

What kind of cheese goes along with the whining, 'Nobody thinks we are special' Rest assured if the 'real' media thought they were worth money they would be picked up by the 'real' media.

Right now GOOG is laughing all the way to the bank while these would be celebrities whine, YouTube is like a self published book, On average hosting your video on YouTube means your audience is too small for the mainstream to be interested. GOOG is collecting a few mils each page view so they don't care about the size of the audience for an individual video they make money on the aggregate of all videos viewed.
Just because your audience is on youtube doesn't mean you don't get paid more than many Hollywood types and it also doesn't mean Celebs don't appear on certain YouTube channels if they know the audience is large enough.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Right. He clearly just does not get it. It's about POTENTIAL here, not the present. Look where ad dollars have been moving to the passed 10 years and at what rate, Disney made a strategic move to diversify their media holdings. Comparing it the .go move makes no sense, because it's not the same idea.

Right, All the AD dollars in this case are flowing to GOOGLE, Yeah that's a great investment spend $500,000,000 to get so called 'content' and all the revenue goes to a competitor. Yeah I'd say Disney STILL does not 'GET' the internet. But they are buzzword compliant... Till the NEXT big thing which they will be left out of.

I expect Burbank is the kind of place where admin assistants print out e-mails and web pages for the executives and type the replies because 'keyboards are for clerical staff'.

It's not like $DIS does not have the money to HIRE people who could give $DIS a meaningful stake in the digital world the anti-creative mindset in Burbank will not allow it to happen this is especially pathetic as the hub of the digital world is 2 hours by plane from Disney's HQ.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just because your audience is on youtube doesn't mean you don't get paid more than many Hollywood types and it also doesn't mean Celebs don't appear on certain YouTube channels if they know the audience is large enough.

BTW the average payout to the creator per page view on YouTube is $0.000065. So you will need about a million page views to make $65 bucks.

Celebrities appear on YouTube as a form of 'free' publicity for them, not with any reasonable intent of profiting from their appearance.

Next Big Thing

Just for as an example of the power of youtube...

PewDiePie (signed under Maker) is worth $12M. Ariana Grande, even with all her success and donut-licking, is only worth slightly more at $16M.

PewDiePie has over 36 Million subscribers and 8.4 BILLION lifetime views. He's uploaded 2,449 videos. So break that down to simple math and you get:

8,400,000,000/2,449 = 3,429,971... so basically, he averages more than many TV shows get and since he's on youtube and the style of his show, almost all of his audience is within the 18-34 demo, so his 18-34 stat would be extremely high and rank incredibly well, possibly even better than some of the highest rated shows on TV right now.

I don't expect you to understand all of these facts though, @ford91exploder

Next Big Thing

BTW the average payout to the creator per page view on YouTube is $0.000065. So you will need about a million page views to make $65 bucks.

Celebrities appear on YouTube as a form of 'free' publicity for them, not with any reasonable intent of profiting from their appearance.
There's A LOT of people on YouTube and ANYONE can be a part of the AdSense program. You can't compare.

And any celeb that appears on a Youtube channel is being paid, make no mistake about that. There are real businesses that make real money and put a real product together.

But again, I don't expect you to understand. You just take the bare minimum stat and lump it together with everything.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's not worth trying to argue this with you because you will always find a way to say that Maker was a terrible waste of money, never even trying to come to a middle ground.

You just aren't worth my time.

Buying something where the majority of the revenue AFTER purchase goes to a major competitor IS a waste of money, A half billion would have purchased one of the smaller content creation and distribution networks and ALL of the money would have been Disney's.

But IgerCo was so desperate for a 'Known IP' it went out and bought one wherupon the key properties and people all jumped ship immediately after the sale was announced.

Disney seems to deal with the Internet the way the old joke goes 'We'll lose money on every sale, but we'll make it up in volume'.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's A LOT of people on YouTube and ANYONE can be a part of the AdSense program. You can't compare.

And any celeb that appears on a Youtube channel is being paid, make no mistake about that. There are real businesses that make real money and put a real product together.

But again, I don't expect you to understand. You just take the bare minimum stat and lump it together with everything.

Of course I don't understand I've only been supporting e-commerce and content distribution networks on the 'Net since the '90's I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to make money on the internet. YouTube makes money for GOOGLE and throws some small change to the creators (who otherwise would not have a online presence). Otherwise they would need to pay for hosting and transit on the internet so it's a fair exchange.

Next Big Thing

Never mind the media...I refuse to accept YouTube "stars."
The very notion of it is like nails on a chalkboard to me.
But why though? Youtube is just an evolution of Television...except the viewer is the one making it. Sure there's a bunch of cat videos and stuff on there, but there's also a lot of real content. Just because they didn't start out in LA and audition means they can't be accepted as real media? Grace Helbig actually got her own show on E! from her YouTube success. Does that make her anymore relevant? Because she was on a channel no one watches but yet it's still TV so she's somehow more credible?

Please remind me what there was before Television? Radio, correct? Everything evolves.

FrankLapidus

Quite the trailer for the upcoming Walt Disney documentary on PBS

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xphNB8rwIyo

A load of pretentious nonsense. Not unlike Banksy's latest ridiculous stunt that got a lot of coverage here in the UK.

A Disney theme park is meant to be an escapist experience, the whole point of them is to make you forget the real world and just have some fun. Why is that a bad thing? Why do supposedly intelligent people have such an issue grasping that concept? Its something that bothers me more than it should, when people twist and distort reality in order to depict Walt Disney as some sot of con man and apply an utterly pointless intellectual critique to something that is gloriously simple.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom