A Spirited Perfect Ten

Disneyhead'71

Eh...it's just my opinion. I'm old school in that way.

For me, YouTube is for watching clips of TV shows, concerts, etc. I have no interest in watching original content there at all.

It's just unappealing to me. (Even that name, Pewdiepie or whatever, repells me. Just has a hipster, millennial vibe that annoys me.)

Grace Helbig? No idea who that is. (I dislike E! in general) I don't care where someone gets their start. They become relevant (if at all) to me when they hit TV or the theater.
Otherwise....I'll pass.
YouTube is great for short format original content. If PIXAR were getting their start today, YouTube would be a vital cog in their distribution network.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So breakeven for this investment would take 7.7 trillion page views?

At the average CPM yes, yes it would. Now to be fair there are premium CPM's usually associated with sponsorship of a channel which have much higher payouts per view - these also tend to have the annoying popup ad as part of the 'experience'.

Interestingly enough mobile impressions don't count for ad sense revenue in most cases.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You seem to be missing the fact that Maker Studios is a completely separate company from Google/YouTube. The creators that get picked for Maker are contracted and given incentives to work towards to make more money. In Makers case, Youtube isn't really paying them, Maker is.

If you actually read the press $DIS bought Maker Studios specifically for their YouTube channel.

zooey

I work with a vine star that got an agent. The agent told him he needs to turn his vine following into a YouTube following because there is no revenue in vine for newer users. Top viners is a different story but they were early adopters and created lots of content. There is definitely money to be made in advertisements and product appearance deals on both YouTube and vine.
Top viners can make thousands for 7 seconds of video if they mention or use a product in the video. It's definitely a brave new world in that regard. You also have to remember the demographic for new media stars, where their followers are typically 12-15, prime age for advertising. I'm not against new content makers but it feels like the entire goal is to get in bed with corporations for subtle advertising and feels less than pure for that very reason.

NearTheEars

No kidding. It's a tired and predictable criticism that could be applied to many commercially successful American products from 1948 to 1962, not just Walt Disney and his little theme park in Anaheim.

I'm surprised PBS can still find an old college professor like Ms. Douglas who had kept her syllabus from her class on Media History 201, Fall Semester 1986. I stopped watching PBS over a decade ago. I'm now reminded why.

My wife and I signed up to go to screening at UCF next week with the filmmakers and everybody's favorite Lovable Lou as a panel moderator. I didn't expect the tone of the doc to be this, but maybe this represents a small part of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom