A Spirited Perfect Ten

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ha! I bet there was more to it than that, but she certainly wasn't being kind or courteous on the exhibit floor of D23 Expo earlier this month. She seemed like the type of woman you wouldn't want to be stuck in an elevator with.

Again, she had the West LA hipper-and-better-than-thou attitude down so well that it oozed from her pores. So much that I noticed it, and her, from 15 feet away and made a note of figuring out who the heck "Maker" was and why anyone at D23 Expo should care about them.

I'm still not sure why we shoud care about Maker, but at least Erin McPherson is no longer on Disney's payroll. Good luck to her, and her attitude.

Because about a year ago TWDC blew $500,000,000 on a YouTube channel called "Maker Studios" which as of now is virtually shut down.

TP2000

Pretty sure the judge won't be amused. Federal judges aren't known to put up with BS excuses.

I'm not sure that it's BS. Rather, it's quite notable that what the argument basically says is "Tom Staggs didn't know much about this, he wasn't involved in the operation of the actual parks nor did he care about it, and he let underlings in Orlando and Anaheim worry about this kind of theme park stuff. This type of minor operational headache is beneath him."

I'm paraphrasing, of course. :)

zooey

I do not, do not, do not want to start a Uni vs. Disney debate. Don't try it! Keep Disney out of it.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/fast-furious-ride/

Many of you have likely not seen this yet or won't be venturing to the Uni forum on a frequent basis to see it.

I post this here because it's a blog announcement at 5PM EST on a Tuesday night, almost making it seem like its trying to be dumped out of the news cycle. Perhaps warranted if some people are to be believed that this ride is very similar to the USH Tram Tour ending.

The other reason I want to highlight it in this thread is @WDW1974 mentioned a while ago that Universal Creative was an absolute out-and-out hot mess with pretty much everything beyond Kong. For how absolutely stellar Potter has been, one wonders if that really was in spite of Universal Creative as Spirit has implied. If they don't have Warner production stage designers holding their hand and JK Rowling hovering, are they actually capable of a stellar theme park product with their own in-house IP?

I can forgive the mediocrity if its attached to the Tram Tour, but not as a standalone.
The test as I see it is how they handle Nintendo. That is a tough IP to implement well. Marios world, while awesome and beautiful on the screen, could look very boring and one dimensional in reality. Zelda could be great but less iconic. I see all the Nintendo stuff as a real challenge. As always I'm hoping they knock it out of the park but we shall see how they meet the difficulties of interpreting all that IP into a cohesive immersive environment.

Next Big Thing

Because about a year ago TWDC blew $500,000,000 on a YouTube channel called "Maker Studios" which as of now is virtually shut down.
Maker Studios is FAR from shut down and you do realize that celebrities like Robert de Niro, Snoop Dogg, and Kevin Smith all have contracts with the Studio. The #1 subscribed youtuber, PewDiePie (who make's close to $10M a year playing video games - much of that from sponsorships), is also signed under the Maker label. There's a reason the studio went for so much. The popular Epic Rap Battles of History is also a part of Maker, among many cover artists like Mike Thompkins, Timothy DeLaghetto, etc.

And Then there's KassemG who interviews prnstars...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Maker Studios is FAR from shut down and you do realize that celebrities like Robert de Niro, Snoop Dogg, and Kevin Smith all have contracts with the Studio. The #1 subscribed youtuber, PewDiePie (who make's close to $10M a year playing video games - much of that from sponsorships), is also signed under the Maker label. There's a reason the studio went for so much. The popular Epic Rap Battles of History is also a part of Maker, among many cover artists like Mike Thompkins, Timothy DeLaghetto, etc.

And Then there's KassemG who interviews prnstars...

With an Alexa rating of 40395 it's dead and almost buried. For the uninitiated it means about 0.003% of the world's internet viewers visit it

Next Big Thing

With an Alexa rating of 40395 it's dead and almost buried. For the uninitiated it means about 0.003% of the world's internet viewers visit it
You apparently don't even understand what Maker is. Alexa ranks WEBSITES. Makes Studios makes content for YOUTUBE. People who watch content from maker aren't going to go to the Maker website, they will go to youtube.

That's actually one of the worst arguments about Maker i've heard.

fosse76

I'm not sure that it's BS. Rather, it's quite notable that what the argument basically says is "Tom Staggs didn't know much about this, he wasn't involved in the operation of the actual parks nor did he care about it, and he let underlings in Orlando and Anaheim worry about this kind of theme park stuff. This type of minor operational headache is beneath him."

I'm paraphrasing, of course. :)
Without addressing the legitimacy of the request for deposition , I will say that a judge will not appreciate "he's a busy man" as a legitimate reason to prevent Staggs from being deposed. It may annoy the judge enough to compel Disney to make him available.

Mouse Trap

Lots of undermining Maker here which I don't find too surprising. Digital content is still like the wild west and I'm not surprised most people don't understand the potential. There is TONS of money for small production houses to make using platforms like YouTube. Gone are the days where you needed fancy equipment and distribution contracts, it's anyone's game now. Maker ties up the best of the best in what is becoming another major future platform of media and advertisements. Let's not forget while YouTube, FB, Twitter are considered "tech" they make their money the same way traditional media outlets do.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Lots of undermining Maker here which I don't find too surprising. Digital content is still like the wild west and I'm not surprised most people don't understand the potential. There is TONS of money for small production houses to make using platforms like YouTube. Gone are the days where you needed fancy equipment and distribution contracts, it's anyone's game now. Maker ties up the best of the best in what is becoming another major future platform of media and advertisements. Let's not forget while YouTube, FB, Twitter are considered "tech" they make their money the same way traditional media outlets do.

BTW that figure was for Maker's YouTube URL not their commercial website.

Maker's channels are attracting .003% of global internet viewers, Yeah there is a real mass market platform there once again Disney fails miserably with the Internet - GO.COM anyone...

Next Big Thing

BTW that figure was for Maker's YouTube URL not their commercial website.

Maker's channels are attracting .003% of global internet viewers, Yeah there is a real mass market platform there once again Disney fails miserably with the Internet - GO.COM anyone...
It's not worth trying to argue this with you because you will always find a way to say that Maker was a terrible waste of money, never even trying to come to a middle ground.

You just aren't worth my time.

Mouse Trap

It's not worth trying to argue this with you because you will always find a way to say that Maker was a terrible waste of money.

You just aren't worth my time.

Right. He clearly just does not get it. It's about POTENTIAL here, not the present. Look where ad dollars have been moving to the passed 10 years and at what rate, Disney made a strategic move to diversify their media holdings. Comparing it the .go move makes no sense, because it's not the same idea.

Next Big Thing

Right. He clearly just does not get it. It's about POTENTIAL here, not the present. Look where ad dollars have been moving to the passed 10 years and at what rate, Disney made a strategic move to diversify their media holdings. Comparing it the .go move makes no sense, because it's not the same idea.
Exactly, and it allows Disney to use some of the content creators to market certain things if they want. And the best part for Disney is it markets to completely different audiences as all creators are different and have different followings. Sort of like this...

How much do you want to bet the Maker creators will be pushing The Force Awakens big time before it's release?

pax_65

Quite the trailer for the upcoming Walt Disney documentary on PBS

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xphNB8rwIyo

An amusement park/movie is an escape from real-world problems. It doesn't mean you're deluded, just that you want to forget about your troubles for a short time, relax, and focus on spending time with your family.

BTW, did you notice the cabin burning? WDW cited environmentalism or some such nonsense and turned off the flames years ago. :(

Next Big Thing

Quite the trailer for the upcoming Walt Disney documentary on PBS

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xphNB8rwIyo
Wow, that was... odd. I thought it was always known and obvious that the parks were idealized/fantasized versions of reality. Walt wanted people to create a place where people could put their worries away. What's worse, they make it seem like Walt was some monster for doing all of this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom