A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

I'm not sure that it's BS. Rather, it's quite notable that what the argument basically says is "Tom Staggs didn't know much about this, he wasn't involved in the operation of the actual parks nor did he care about it, and he let underlings in Orlando and Anaheim worry about this kind of theme park stuff. This type of minor operational headache is beneath him."

I'm paraphrasing, of course. :)
so.. if he doesnt know crap about his underlings.. why is he a top tier executive? he just signs up papers , shows his face, wave his hands and enjoys the ride?

Cesar R M

He may have subscribers but he's annoying as spit.
seconding, he got famous for his exaggerated stunts.

He even got alot of drama when he refused to get "scared" of the last predictable game of FNAF (five nights at fredy's, another "popular" thing on the internet)

Infact, He started when he found how funny was a guy, who could get scared over ANYTHING in extreme ways.

Next Big Thing

Per @71jason the Service industry night and rewind Wednesdays at downtown Disney house of blues have ended.

This is likely in response to the much-publicized sexual assault earlier this summer.
I know I responded in the thread you started, but this was coming for awhile, even before the sexual assault. They changed from 19+ to 21+ door in May due to the amount of underage drinking that would go on. Even still, people packed that place to the roof and came back on the CP buses passed out night after night that these were held. Seeing that pretty much everyone that went to this WORKED for Disney, it wasn't really a good look for them or in their best interest to have their workers getting drunk and passing out before shifts. I saw underage drinkers get fired on the spot at times.

Point being, the sexual assault case was likely the last straw needed for Disney to finally say "enough is enough" and put the hammer down on HOB.

PhotoDave219

I know I responded in the thread you started, but this was coming for awhile, even before the sexual assault. They changed from 19+ to 21+ door in May due to the amount of underage drinking that would go on. Even still, people packed that place to the roof and came back on the CP buses passed out night after night that these were held. Seeing that pretty much everyone that went to this WORKED for Disney, it wasn't really a good look for them or in their best interest to have their workers getting drunk and passing out before shifts. I saw underage drinkers get fired on the spot at times.

Point being, the sexual assault case was likely the last straw needed for Disney to finally say "enough is enough" and put the hammer down on HOB.

I figured it was worth it if it's on thread… Given everything that have occurred earlier this summer.

It's a giant problem. Closing PI didn't solve that problem. Disney just doesn't want the liability and they sure as hell don't want the bad press.

Next Big Thing

I figured it was worth it if it's on thread… Given everything that have occurred earlier this summer.

It's a giant problem. Closing PI didn't solve that problem. Disney just doesn't want the liability and they sure as hell don't want the bad press.
Of course. Disney definitely doesn't want to deal with that and i'm surprised they let it go on so long tbh.

I'll be honest though, i'll definitely miss it. HOB was one of the best clubs in Orlando from a pure fun standpoint when it really got going.

PhotoDave219

Of course. Disney definitely doesn't want to deal with that and i'm surprised they let it go on so long tbh.

I'll be honest though, i'll definitely miss it. HOB was one of the best clubs in Orlando from a pure fun standpoint when it really got going.

It really is going to come back that one incident. They found a naked girl in the bushes that was there for four hours. That's the straw that broke the camels back.

I think it's sad that downtown Disney is losing its last bit of true adult entertainment. I feel that there's an element of vacationers and conventioneers that they are missing out on entertaining and catering to. More than just families visit the Walt Disney World resort and it's sad that this is the way it has to be.

Weird that I somehow if created two different conversations on this…

Next Big Thing

It really is going to come back that one incident. They found a naked girl in the bushes that was there for four hours. That's the straw that broke the camels back.

I think it's sad that downtown Disney is losing its last bit of true adult entertainment. I feel that there's an element of vacationers and conventioneers that they are missing out on entertaining and catering to. More than just families visit the Walt Disney World resort and it's sad that this is the way it has to be.

Weird that I somehow if created two different conversations on this…
What I don't and will never understand is how she ended up in the bushes with said man. After leaving the club, there are barricades lined up sending you straight to the parking lot and normally at the very least 5-6 Police around and they do a sweep of the building as HOB is the last place open in DTD at that point.

They would kick people out strictly at 2 on the dot so how they didn't find her until around 5 I can't wrap my mind around. I have to assume Disney brought this same argument up to HOB ("How could you let this happen") and that's obviously why they are stripping the nights away.

PhotoDave219

What I don't and will never understand is how she ended up in the bushes with said man. After leaving the club, there are barricades lined up sending you straight to the parking lot and normally at the very least 5-6 Police around and they do a sweep of the building as HOB is the last place open in DTD at that point.

They would kick people out strictly at 2 on the dot so how they didn't find her until around 5 I can't wrap my mind around. I have to assume Disney brought this same argument up to HOB ("How could you let this happen") and that's obviously why they are stripping the nights away.

First… I can't fathom how that happened either. I can't fathom how both orange county and Disney security and anyone leaving for the night missed the girl in the bushes. I can't fathom that.

Second I'm sure the behind-the-scenes Disney and house of blues are pointing the finger at each other saying "it's your fault" to one another. The short version is that they both screwed up. The easy solution is just to make it go away.

TP2000

My wife and I signed up to go to screening at UCF next week with the filmmakers and everybody's favorite Lovable Lou as a panel moderator. I didn't expect the tone of the doc to be this, but maybe this represents a small part of it.

You'll have to tell us how that turns out, please.

TP2000

What's not true about what was said in the PBS clip?

I didn't really hear anything objectionable.

What's objectionable is that these types of self-important nitwit bores like Susan Douglas in the PBS trailer present the issue as if Walt Disney invented the concepts prevalent in American society circa 1948-1962. And not only did he invent it, he then shoved it down everyone's throats by forcing Americans to go to Disneyland.

Disneyland is no more an example of what we now find offensive (or even just funny) about American post-war society than any other successful enterprise of the time.

Ms. Douglas could flip through a random issue of Life Magazine from 1955 and find a hundred similar examples of white-washed culture of the era, but instead she uses Disneyland as her big example and presents it as if it was something unique for the era. It wasn't unique. Disneyland '55 was influenced by the era, not the other way around.

And then she has to have that snotty tone that most self-important lefty professors have, as if she is so brilliant and wise for explaining to us mortals that Disneyland was responsible for keeping women in the kitchen, Indians on the reservation, and black folks at the back of the bus.

Disneyland didn't do all that, it was just a fancy new kind of amusement park. And a wildly successful one too, which automatically draws the ire of people like Ms. Douglas.

Ms. Douglas in the PBS clip displays an old 1980's lefty opinion that just seems silly and tired in the 21st century. America was racist and sexist and oppressive? Blame Disneyland! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

zooey

What's objectionable is that these types of self-important nitwit bores like Susan Douglas in the PBS trailer present the issue as if Walt Disney invented the concepts prevalent in American society circa 1948-1962. And not only did he invent it, he then shoved it down everyone's throats by forcing Americans to go to Disneyland.

Disneyland is no more an example of what we now find offensive (or even just funny) about American post-war society than any other successful enterprise of the time.

Ms. Douglas could flip through a random issue of Life Magazine from 1955 and find a hundred similar examples of white-washed culture of the era, but instead she uses Disneyland as her big example and presents it as if it was something unique for the era. It wasn't unique. Disneyland '55 was influenced by the era, not the other way around.

And then she has to have that snotty tone that most self-important lefty professors have, as if she is so brilliant and wise for explaining to us mortals that Disneyland was responsible for keeping women in the kitchen, Indians on the reservation, and black folks at the back of the bus.

Disneyland didn't do all that, it was just a fancy new kind of amusement park. And a wildly successful one too, which automatically draws the ire of people like Ms. Douglas.

Ms. Douglas in the PBS clip displays an old 1980's lefty opinion that just seems silly and tired in the 21st century. America was racist and sexist and oppressive? Blame Disneyland! :rolleyes:
I keep going back to the inclusiveness of all guests at Disneyland negating her point. She's interpreting the exclusion of racial issues from the eras of the lands as white washing, but because everyone was welcome at Disneyland, I see the park as showing the ideal view of these places and times where there is no prejudice. if Main Street Is a representation of a small town circa 1900 and there isn't an ounce of segregation or class divide to be found, then it's showing that as the ideal, not the reality. That's a powerful thing to show people. What she sees as regressive I see as progressive... For its time.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Quite the trailer for the upcoming Walt Disney documentary on PBS

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xphNB8rwIyo

That woman is of the same schooling that video games and movies cause people to become violent, etc. Just because Disney believed in escapism and idealism doesn't mean people thought this country was free of problems. Sure you could point out a handful of examples of people who did but that isn't proving a point because that is a small minority.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese

I want to like this post ten times over. Ms. Douglas is just another "intellectual" trying to justify some out of left field theory. If there is anything that is whitewashed it's her mindset that the complexities of society can be explained in such a simplistic way. Let's blame Disney, music, movies and video games for the actions of individuals because that's easy and "plausible".

lazyboy97o

That woman is of the same schooling that video games and movies cause people to become violent, etc. Just because Disney believed in escapism and idealism doesn't mean people thought this country was free of problems. Sure you could point out a handful of examples of people who did but that isn't proving a point because that is a small minority.
That is escapism and it is a problem. It is the whole notion behind concepts like 'lifestyler' where one runs off to hide in Florida or California to try and build a life that revolves around Disney and constantly escaping.

zooey

That is escapism and it is a problem. It is the whole notion behind concepts like 'lifestyler' where one runs off to hide in Florida or California to try and build a life that revolves around Disney and constantly escaping.
Fandom is pleasurable. It's not exclusive to Disney. When anything is pleasurable it is addictive. Again, this is not exclusive to Disney. Obsession and escapism can be inspired by anything that is pleasurable be it drinking, gambling, drugs, shopping, celebrities, comic books, movies, etc etc etc. People need perspective and self control. The fact is there's millions of people that enjoy these things in moderation and with the proper perspective of what's important but some people just get consumed by it.

rael ramone

Their idea of 'adult entertainment' is to have them pay a $100 plus cover charge for overpriced liquor around a lagoon, then close the place down at 9pm.

And at the new center of Bacchanalia in the swamps is the place where they decided to put Frozen.:mad:

jakeman

Is it really a "problem" to the degree that is being implied in that clip? I know "lifestylers" are much maligned around here (to a degree where it appears to some the obsession with keeping tabs lifestyler is on par with the lifestyler's obsession with Disney).

However, it seems that the argument that is being put forth is the escapism provided by Disney is/was detrimental to society as a whole, not a few dozen people who have managed to make a living hocking Disney's PR spin. I just don't think that's a leap that can be made. I don't see where because Davy Crockett was on TV the concurrent Civil Rights Movement was set back measurably.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom