A Spirited Perfect Ten

Bairstow

Some upheaval at Maker Studios.....

From The Hollywood Reporter....

Erin McPherson, who joined the Disney-owned YouTube network as head of content in November 2013, has left the company. Maker has also seen the departure of senior vp marketing Jeremy Welt, according to sources familiar with the company.

I still can't fathom how Maker was valued so high. It might generate some revenue currently, but a few unilateral decisions by Google would be all it takes to make the entire thing come crashing down. That or stronger DCMA enforcement on behalf of any of the IP owners of the movies, videogames, and TV shows that the "content creators" make their living talking about.

PhotoDave219

I still can't fathom how Maker was valued so high. It might generate some revenue currently, but a few unilateral decisions by Google would be all it takes to make the entire thing come crashing down. That or stronger DCMA enforcement on behalf of any of the IP owners of the movies, videogames, and TV shows that the "content creators" make their living talking about.

I cant understand it either. Perhaps it was similar to when Eisner insisted they needed a web portal and hense the Go.Com disaster happened.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I cant understand it either. Perhaps it was similar to when Eisner insisted they needed a web portal and hense the Go.Com disaster happened.

I think it was EXACTLY like that, Iger says 'TWDC needs a YouTube channel, Go forth minions and buy one' They did and the channel people took Disney for a 500 million dollar ride, The content creators bailed immediately and now the executives who were probably bound by contract are bailing as well.

Imagine if Disney had spent that $500 million on an attraction at WDW... Instead they effectively dumped a half billion dollars into the incinerator.

BTW the GO.COM disaster is STILL with us, Just watch your browser any time you hit a Disney site and the ghost of GO.COM is STILL there, How many hard coded references were there in the GO.COM code that 15 years later they are STILL there.

BrianLo

I do not, do not, do not want to start a Uni vs. Disney debate. Don't try it! Keep Disney out of it.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/fast-furious-ride/

Many of you have likely not seen this yet or won't be venturing to the Uni forum on a frequent basis to see it.

I post this here because it's a blog announcement at 5PM EST on a Tuesday night, almost making it seem like its trying to be dumped out of the news cycle. Perhaps warranted if some people are to be believed that this ride is very similar to the USH Tram Tour ending.

The other reason I want to highlight it in this thread is @WDW1974 mentioned a while ago that Universal Creative was an absolute out-and-out hot mess with pretty much everything beyond Kong. For how absolutely stellar Potter has been, one wonders if that really was in spite of Universal Creative as Spirit has implied. If they don't have Warner production stage designers holding their hand and JK Rowling hovering, are they actually capable of a stellar theme park product with their own in-house IP?

I can forgive the mediocrity if its attached to the Tram Tour, but not as a standalone.

Mike S

I do not, do not, do not want to start a Uni vs. Disney debate. Don't try it! Keep Disney out of it.

Many of you have likely not seen this yet or won't be venturing to the Uni forum on a frequent basis to see it.

I post this here because it's a blog announcement at 5PM EST on a Tuesday night, almost making it seem like its trying to be dumped out of the news cycle. Perhaps warranted if some people are to be believed that this ride is very similar to the USH Tram Tour ending.

The other reason I want to highlight it in this thread is @WDW1974 mentioned a while ago that Universal Creative was an absolute out-and-out hot mess with pretty much everything beyond Kong. For how absolutely stellar Potter has been, one wonders if that really was in spite of Universal Creative as Spirit has implied. If they don't have Warner production stage designers holding their hand and JK Rowling hovering, are they actually capable of a stellar theme park product with their own in-house IP?

I can forgive the mediocrity if its attached to the Tram Tour, but not as a standalone.
Just one more thing to be excited for. Also I would say Nintendo probably has the same or similar control that Rowling and WB has. If Disney couldn't get Mario and Luigi in Wreck-It Ralph, what did Uni have to do for theme park rights to all their characters?

asianway

Erin McPherson, who joined the Disney-owned YouTube network as head of content in November 2013, has left the company. Maker has also seen the departure of senior vp marketing Jeremy Welt, according to sources familiar with the company.
Just found a copy of eyes & ears From June '01 where the front page was Al Weiss announcing layoffs/buyouts. Then there was a round in 08-09, and I figure were about due for another.

Bairstow

I post this here because it's a blog announcement at 5PM EST on a Tuesday night, almost making it seem like its trying to be dumped out of the news cycle. Perhaps warranted if some people are to be believed that this ride is very similar to the USH Tram Tour ending..

That doesn't make any sense. That's prime time. If you want to news dump something you put it Friday afternoon.
And why would you news dump a theme park attraction? We're not talking about bad employment numbers or having to fire a company VP for a sex scandal or something.
No one besides the pickiest of insiders would take anything in that announcement to be "bad news".

BrianLo

That doesn't make any sense. That's prime time. If you want to news dump something you put it Friday afternoon.
And why would you news dump a theme park attraction? We're not talking about bad employment numbers or having to fire a company VP for a sex scandal or something.
No one besides the pickiest of insiders would take anything in that announcement to be "bad news".

Perhaps that's a little unfair to call it a news dump, but it definitely wasn't a very splashy announcement.

The 'bad news' in the presser is the fact it honestly seems like they are cloning large sections of the USH attraction. That is bad news, one doesn't need to be a picky insider to know that F&F: Supercharged reviews have been generally mediocre at best.

Full Disclosure: I'm of the opinion it's SuperStar Limo/Imagination 2.0 bad, and I have an expressed vendetta against clones to boot.

PhotoDave219

Thankfully we have a universal forum for that sort of debate.... which has taken off quite nicely of late.

I'd be curious to see if this is one of the newly-hired Jason Surrell projects or longtimer Thiery Coup.

brb1006

Hani El Masri, the illustrator imagineer who worked on Splash Mountain, developed the look for Mickey's Toontown(DL and TDL) among others, has died.
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2015/08/hani-el-masri-wdi-imagineer-and-artist.html?m=1
http://www.madamasr.com/news/culture/obituary-egyptian-disney-artist-hani-el-masri-dies-64

From Bob Weis
With such sadness, we lost Hani El Masri yesterday. An amazing artist and person of immense spirit and creativity. http://t.co/63h7CGDfZh
View attachment 107632
This deserves more attention, I love Goofy and Minnie Houses in Disneyland Park.

TP2000

This makes me laugh. Why? At the D23 Expo the Maker group (whatever they are) had a display up near the WDI Pavilion. There was this lady totally going off on the Disneyland CM's staffed at D23 to do crowd control; she didn't like the way they had set up the crowd control in that busy part of the hall and felt it detoured people around her pointless little display area. She was just really rude and demeaning to these front-line CM's who were just doing their jobs. For those who've been to SoCal, she definitely had the snotty West LA attitude down pat.

It was such a memorably bad incident that I got out my phone and Googled "Maker" to figure out who the heck they were and why they were at D23 Expo. About 8 seconds later I had the face of Erin McPherson, Chief Content Officer on my phone. Bingo! She was the snotty woman yelling and fussing and being simply a... jerk.

A week later this woman is gone. Good riddance. From what I witnessed at D23 Expo, she just didn't seem like she was a good fit for the Walt Disney Company.

PhotoDave219

This makes me laugh. Why? At the D23 Expo the Maker group (whatever they are) had a display up near the WDI Pavilion. There was this lady totally going off on the Disneyland CM's staffed at D23 to do crowd control; she didn't like the way they had set up the crowd control in that busy part of the hall and felt it detoured people around her pointless little display area. She was just really rude and demeaning to these front-line CM's who were just doing their jobs. For those who've been to SoCal, she definitely had the snotty West LA attitude down pat.

It was such a memorably bad incident that I got out my phone and Googled "Maker" to figure out who the heck they were and why they were at D23 Expo. About 8 seconds later I had the face of Erin McPherson, Chief Content Officer on my phone. Bingo! She was the snotty woman yelling and fussing and being simply a... jerk.

A week later this woman is gone. Good riddance. From what I witnessed at D23 Expo, she just didn't seem like she was a good fit for the Walt Disney Company.

Looks like she was let go for just being a rude person.

TP2000

Looks like she was let go for just being a rude person.

Ha! I bet there was more to it than that, but she certainly wasn't being kind or courteous on the exhibit floor of D23 Expo earlier this month. She seemed like the type of woman you wouldn't want to be stuck in an elevator with.

Again, she had the West LA hipper-and-better-than-thou attitude down so well that it oozed from her pores. So much that I noticed it, and her, from 15 feet away and made a note of figuring out who the heck "Maker" was and why anyone at D23 Expo should care about them.

I'm still not sure why we shoud care about Maker, but at least Erin McPherson is no longer on Disney's payroll. Good luck to her, and her attitude.

PhotoDave219

Ha! I bet there was more to it than that, but she certainly wasn't being kind or courteous on the exhibit floor of D23 Expo earlier this month. She seemed like the type of woman you wouldn't want to be stuck in an elevator with.

Again, she had the West LA hipper-and-better-than-thou attitude down so well that it oozed from her pores. So much that I noticed it, and her, from 15 feet away and made a note of figuring out who the heck "Maker" was and why anyone at D23 Expo should care about them.

I'm still not sure why we shoud care about Maker, but at least Erin McPherson is no longer on Disney's payroll. Good luck to her, and her attitude.

Not the attitude you want to display in public when your bosses are in the building.

Cesar R M

For those that hit the Paywall.....

Disney battles request to question executive in disabled access lawsuit

Walt Disney Company and its attorneys are battling a request to have one of its top executives sit for a deposition in controversial lawsuits over disabled access to theme park attractions.

Tom Staggs, currently COO of Walt Disney Co., was formerly the division chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, when the theme parks adopted a new policy on disabled access in 2013.

Dozens of families with autistic children have sued, alleging that children with cognitive disabilities don’t have the patience required to wait for a certain ride – even if they are not waiting in line. While Disney has generally declined to comment on the lawsuits, it has argued in court filings that it went to great lengths to provide service to its disabled guests.

An attorney representing many of those families, Andy Dogali, recently filed a request to depose Staggs in the litigation. In response, Disney is seeking a judge's order protecting Staggs from the request. The cases are filed in Orlando federal court.

An attorney for Disney, Jeremy White of Kaye Sholer, explained the company’s position in an email to Dogali, saying that Staggs has “no unique personal knowledge of the relevant facts at issue in this case, his deposition is improper and unwarranted. Any information you plan to seek from Mr. Staggs can be obtained through less intrusive methods of discovery such as serving interrogatories or deposing lower- level employees.”

Disney attorneys said in a court filing that “every second of Mr. Staggs’ time is valuable and sitting for a deposition is a distraction that courts seek to prevent.”

Staggs already filed a declaration for the court, which states that “from time to time Mr. Staggs received information about DAS [Disability Access Service) from the group responsible for its design, implementation and administration, and made suggestions about points specifically drawn to his attention.”

Disney attorneys have said they are happy to make available other employees with more direct knowledge of the programs. Such efforts to shield a top executive from a lengthy deposition are not unusual for large corporations.

Disney has denied any discrimination or violation, and said it prides itself on accessibility throughout its facilities, among other things. It has also made these points in court:

--The company established a new department, Services for Guests with Disabilities, and provides a “full array of services ranging from guidebooks that assist guests with disabilities to policies and procedures that enhance their experience at the various theme parks and resorts.”

--Plaintiffs in the case, or the disabled people, preferred the previous program because it allowed them to enter rides directly and immediately without waiting.

--The complaints allegedly fail to prove that the Disability Access Service program hasn’t accommodated their disability.

Disney ended its previous program, the Guest Assistance Card, because the older program was abused by wealthy people who hired guests with disabilities to take them to the front of a line. The new program, called Disability Access Service, no longer allowed disabled people to skip waiting, but it allowed them to make a reservation in advance and avoid standing in line until that time.

The lawsuits cite “meltdown behaviors” that sometimes force children and their parents to leave the parks.
I dont know if laugh or facepalm at the lawsuit excuses.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Thankfully we have a universal forum for that sort of debate.... which has taken off quite nicely of late.

I'd be curious to see if this is one of the newly-hired Jason Surrell projects or longtimer Thiery Coup.
You can pin it to the primary executive producer Chick Russell .... If you were so inclined (and pointing a finger).... He's been around....(yup he did video segements for Wizarding World and other junk for NBC/UNI)....

*1023*

P.S. As an aside, the talent bleed from WDI in the last 20 years is note worthy....

Nubs70

I dont know if laugh or facepalm at the lawsuit excuses.
It is a fishing expedition worthy of it's own show on Discovery.

Just like many places in life: a nfl game, restaurant, symphony, funeral, or strip bar, if you cannot control yourself, you leave.

I think I have come up with a good defense of DAS. It goes as follows:

DAS is an accommodation between WDW and DAS holder.
GAC is an accommodation between the GAC holder, WDW, and the guests bypassed in line.

While WDW is required, by law, to provide reasonable accommodation, guests in line are not required to provide reasonable accommodation. Such that the non GAC guest is receiving disparate treatment through GAC policy. Therefore, the DAS policy is an equitable application of reasonable accommodation.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
It is a fishing expedition worthy of it's own show on Discovery.

Just like many places in life: a nfl game, restaurant, symphony, funeral, or strip bar, if you cannot control yourself, you leave.

I think I have come up with a good defense of DAS. It goes as follows:

DAS is an accommodation between WDW and DAS holder.
GAC is an accommodation between the GAC holder, WDW, and the guests bypassed in line.

While WDW is required, by law, to provide reasonable accommodation, guests in line are not required to provide reasonable accommodation. Such that the non GAC guest is receiving disparate treatment through GAC policy. Therefore, the DAS policy is an equitable application of reasonable accommodation.

Is it reasonable to everyone in the stand-by or the FP, line that someone be allowed to skip the line because they can not follow the social contract of the line? Is it reasonable that a set schedule of ride times is established for someone in advance or with a few hours notice? Does the lack of evidence of a disability create an undue hardship on the operation of an enterprise? Is it reasonable to require special accommodation for consecutive re-rides of an attraction? Does a request or accommodation unduly harm the operation of an enterprise? Does a request provide an accommodation that is greater than the experience of the general public?

The questions above (and many more) would be where I would start to find issue with the plaintiff's concerns about compliance with federal law. I note that Disney makes more effort than any other entertainment enterprise to accommodate anyone with a disability within the "reasonable" application of the law. Many opinions vary.

*1023*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom