• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

A Spirited Perfect Ten

TalkingHead

kinda hard with the wind and stuff..
If anyone ever questioned the supposition that many Disney fans are totally detached from reality, the number of people asking whether the big blue planet would be part of the Avatar expansion left no doubt.

I'm not sure how some of them function when they realize that attraction concept art is exaggerated, too...

Captain Neo

Advertisement
Agreed. It's like they are aiming all their humor at a 12 year old boy with a lower-to-mid range IQ. Fart jokes, poop jokes, slip-and-falls, and middling pre-pubescent hilarity reign with the brain trust in Burbank's Animation Building.

A sharper, smarter, aim-higher wit would work wonders for them. I think the last time they achieved that was in the early 1990's when Robin Williams was ad-libbing Genie lines in Aladdin.
Absolutely. I would say definitely check out Zootopia as so far it looks to be a bit more sophisticated and definitely more in line with Aladdin than the recent movies.

Goofyernmost

Agreed. It's like they are aiming all their humor at a 12 year old boy with a lower-to-mid range IQ. Fart jokes, poop jokes, slip-and-falls, and middling pre-pubescent hilarity reign with the brain trust in Burbank's Animation Building.

A sharper, smarter, aim-higher wit would work wonders for them. I think the last time they achieved that was in the early 1990's when Robin Williams was ad-libbing Genie lines in Aladdin.
And Timekeeper! I know that no one but Robin could have written those lines he used in that show.

MarkTwain

Had me until the second island bit!
I actually heard something about the island a while back
There's a lot of islands in the Bahamas. ;)

Put it this way.... Castaway Cay is seeing ships almost daily as is (especially with the recent popularity of "double-dip" cruises that visit twice). When Disney adds more ships to the line-up, they're going to need some other places to dock.

BrerJon

I'm not sure how some of them function when they realize that attraction concept art is exaggerated, too...
Indeed. I've been saying for ages that the floating mountains in Pandora wouldn't look that great in real life and under forced perspective, from the people that brought you Beast's Castle, but they look good in the concept art so many people thought that's what they'll look like in real life. After a while though, you learn to filter concept art and see what is truly likely. It's the same with the castle in Shanghai - looks enormous in the art, in reality only seems a little larger than MK's.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
2 rides each for the Star Wars Lands and they call it the biggest land ever! Fml...
I'm assuming they mean largest by land size or acres. FLE, Carsland and Avatar are all in the ballpark of 10 to 12 acres while this is being described as 14 acres. It's a pretty sizable land area when you think about how large FLE and Carsland are and this will be even bigger.

I assume at DHS it will include the 2 new rides plus Star Tours for a total of 3 SW rides. These days it doesn't seem like any new projects or lands are built with more than 2 or 3 new rides. Both Potter lands at Uni, FLE, Avatar, Carsland, etc... It's pretty standard practice. I'm less concerned with the number of rides and more interested in quality. Are both new rides E-tickets? Will the theming and atmosphere be fully integrated?

Did they mention anything about Pixar at DHS?

tirian

Indeed. I've been saying for ages that the floating mountains in Pandora wouldn't look that great in real life and under forced perspective, from the people that brought you Beast's Castle, but they look good in the concept art so many people thought that's what they'll look like in real life. After a while though, you learn to filter concept art and see what is truly likely. It's the same with the castle in Shanghai - looks enormous in the art, in reality only seems a little larger than MK's.
The Shanghai castle seems to have wonky proportions, too. I'm not an architect, but I've been to enough places in Europe to know when things looks right or wrong.

Edit: The various Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella castles look like cohesive structures. Storybook Castle looks like a show building with castle parts tacked onto a façade.

Top Bottom