A Spirited Perfect Ten

JoeCamel

I know this is a little off topic but at the same time on topic. Has anyone heard from our good friend Spirit lately? I am reaching out more to Lee and Marni as they keep in contact with him from what I read in this forum. I know he had a sick loved one and I hope everything is ok on that front. I miss his insight on this forum and just wanted to check in.

Go back about a hundred pages or more and you will see his post that he is taking the rest of the summer off from this thread

PhotoDave219

Appreciate the update Dave. I really enjoy your posts as well and you have done a great job on your Hollywood Studios posts.

Thanks. 74 is fine, he'll be away for a while last he mentioned.

Anyways, as everyone is saying, Disney has announced the bare minimum and I wouldn't expect any more details anytime soon. Hopefully @danlb_2000 will be busy with the permits and information should leak out to all the usual suspects as time goes on.

Crazydisneyfanluke

You're assuming that. You're assuming that its only two rides despite a small and rather vocal group of us saying otherwise.

The amount of sheer overreaction on these forums has gone to plaid.
Yes I'm assuming, since that has been announced. I agree with you about 14 acres and 2 rides isn't great. I hope more is announced but anything mentioned by people, besides certain people, is speculation.

Phil12

When they say, "transporting guests to a never-before-seen planet," I think new movies (or original, so they can mishmash different architecture).
It sounds to me as if they're going to put the guests on a bus and take them over to DAK to see the new Avatar attraction.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Thanks. 74 is fine, he'll be away for a while last he mentioned.

Anyways, as everyone is saying, Disney has announced the bare minimum and I wouldn't expect any more details anytime soon. Hopefully @danlb_2000 will be busy with the permits and information should leak out to all the usual suspects as time goes on.

When things start rolling with Toy Story Playland we may get some advanced notice if there are permits that indicate things moving out of that area.

Goofyernmost

DAK also was touted as the largest Disney theme park ever built (which it was and still is) when it opened. Yet when it opened there was barely enough to do for a half a day. Amazing how guest areas vs. animal areas can play into marketing...or not.
True, if all you are interested in is just rides. Otherwise a day could easily have been spent there even before Everest. What you guys want is an amusement park, not a theme park. Or at least not a Disney Theme Park. Rides, rides and more rides. That's all we hear, but, that isn't what Disney is about and never has been. Instead of trying to make Disney into a Six Flags place why not just go to a Six Flags. There you can ride your butts off to your hearts content and Disney can remain the unique experience that it always has been.

HarrisburgMouse

Exactly. Time to sit back, open a cold refreshing adult beverage and enjoy the moment.

Amazing thing is the armchair critics who aren't happy with the amount of details announced yesterday. From what people like Martin, Lee, Spirit and you suggested going into this weekend, we should be pleasantly surprised with we got. Time to enjoy the next few years!

Mike S

True, if all you are interested in is just rides. Otherwise a day could easily have been spent there even before Everest. What you guys want is an amusement park, not a theme park. Or at least not a Disney Theme Park. Rides, rides and more rides. That's all we hear, but, that isn't what Disney is about and never has been. Instead of trying to make Disney into a Six Flags place why not just go to a Six Flags. There you can ride your butts off to your hearts content and Disney can remain the unique experience that it always has been.
Disneyland, a Disney Theme Park, has over 30 rides and it's hardly a Six Flags. Animal Kingdom doesn't have to have that much but it should definitely have more than there is now, even after the two we're getting with Avatar. There is still a huge plot of empty land between Africa and Asia for future expansion.

Goofyernmost

Disneyland, a Disney Theme Park, has over 30 rides and it's hardly a Six Flags. Animal Kingdom doesn't have to have that much but it should definitely have more than there is now, even after the two we're getting with Avatar. There is still a huge plot of empty land between Africa and Asia for future expansion.
I don't know how many combined "rides" plus attractions (shows, exhibits, etc.) that WDW has and I'm to lazy to look it up, but, it doesn't really matter because each place is what it is and nothing more for now. If you want to go with size and empty possibilities why aren't you comparing it to the actual land mass that WDW has that is growing nothing but trees and housing wild animals. That place could have literally thousands of "rides" if it was in the best interest of the resort to do that. How many golf courses does DL have? How many miniature Golf courses does DL have? How many themed resort hotels does DL have in comparison? How big is DtD compared to WDW? How many water parks does DL have? How many "working" Monorails (not just a ride) does DL have? How many ferry's across Seven Sea Lagoon does DL have?

I have stated before that Disney is not in competition with itself. Each area is different to some degree if not in size and scope then in history and meaning. Rides are not the end all at WDW, it is huge and as such has to hold onto people longer which is why, perhaps the same number of "attractions" have to be spread out over 4 parks instead of two. Comparisons are useless. More things in MK, for example, means more people in a park that is already a mass of people most everyday. We might like to see more, but, they surely do not need more other then in the two parks that are currently being targeted for expansion or change. If we focus in on nothing but "rides" we miss out on what the whole place is about. Even Walt, in his wisdom, could not have foreseen the numbers of people that would eventually show up. In his own words the only reason why there was a MK there at all was to give people something to do and at the same time see his EPCOT creation. He never envisioned it as being the tourist capital of the world.

Quinnmac000

i think more people are scared that is going on with Avatar will happen with Star Wars....How Avatars two attractions (boat ride and banshee) seemingly went down to one opening on time and the other in another phase etc. Yes budgets/plans etc have been confirmed but stuff can happen (market crashes etc) and rather than be pulled to the stars and being in another galaxy of hype, they want full facts, timetables, full descriptions on what to know.

(Also if star wars attractions are screenbased, the poopstorm coming to disney fans for all the crap they give the other park)

Bairstow

He was talking about DAK when it first opened, though. Which means no Everest, but also no Kali, no Maharajah Jungle Trek, not even the Jammin Jungle Parade.
Plus, for the first several years before the tree canopies grew out, Animal Kingdom was a very hot, unshaded, and often unpleasant place to spend time.

stevehousse

I'm gonna throw this out there again like I did several pages back (or in the Star Wars thread, idk) look into the Twister Ride System Disney has a patent for and tell me that won't be in the new Star Wars land, I dare you! It's perfect for the ride concepts they are talking about, especially the battle ride.

Goofyernmost

He was talking about DAK when it first opened, though. Which means no Everest, but also no Kali, no Maharajah Jungle Trek, not even the Jammin Jungle Parade.
Plus, for the first several years before the tree canopies grew out, Animal Kingdom was a very hot, unshaded, and often unpleasant place to spend time.
It's hotter now because of the canopy. No cross winds and stagnant air. I don't remember the very first days it opened because I didn't have the opportunity to go to it, but, I did go not to long after it opened and at the time the only thing that was missing was Everest. I hate parades so I cannot vouch for that either way. If they never had one, it would be fine with me.

DAK opened in 1998 and I know I went there in 1999 and went to the places like Maharajah Jungle Trek. I'm not sure if Kali was there or not because I didn't want to ride it anyway. I did ride it in February of 2001 though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom