A Spirited Perfect Ten

BrerJon

So why did Animation need to close at DHS? Nothing was announced for that area, right?

Animation is actually the thing that had the most justification to close, as it will reopen before the end of the year as the Star Wars Launch Bay. First it will be a Force Awakens preview center, then at a later date it will become a Blue Sky Cellar for the park land, as well as being a permanent Star Wars meet and greet. So for the next few years at least, there will be something there.

Cesar R M

Animation is actually the thing that had the most justification to close, as it will reopen before the end of the year as the Star Wars Launch Bay. First it will be a Force Awakens preview center, then at a later date it will become a Blue Sky Cellar for the park land, as well as being a permanent Star Wars meet and greet. So for the next few years at least, there will be something there.
still makes little sense to have the M&G on the other side of the park.

Nmoody1

There's a lot of islands in the Bahamas. ;)

Put it this way.... Castaway Cay is seeing ships almost daily as is (especially with the recent popularity of "double-dip" cruises that visit twice). When Disney adds more ships to the line-up, they're going to need some other places to dock.

I'd hope that if two new ships were on the cards, then DCL would diversify away from the same old East Coast/Caribbean market.... then again, it's probably hard t see past the dollar signs!

Rutt

So why did Animation need to close at DHS? Nothing was announced for that area, right?

I'm surprised that the DHS changes weren't presented as a re-imagining of the park a la DCA's redo. I guess the execs prefer dribbling out the new stuff in Florida. Still, they could've vaguely promised new shows, new entertainment, etc.
They kinda did.... Gotta listen carefully...

BrerJon

still makes little sense to have the M&G on the other side of the park.

It will probably only be during construction, when guests can't access much at the Star Wars end of the park anyway. As soon as Star Wars opens for real I'm sure the Animation building will be converted into something else, possibly a generic WDW Blue Sky Cellar.

justavoice

With a lot of rumors broken here now confirmed, the one thing I am curious about will be the land vs world build schedule. Will stars wars open at the same time for both parks? Will it take five years from announce to open like some other lands? Will this new space disrupt existing park for several years (hard to disrupt studios when nothing open)? Will be curious to watch if both the same type construction or do we see how it is done in Cali or vice versa.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I would guess everyone is assuming this because they only announced 2 so far = that's it, it will already be 3 due to Star Tours + anything else they have planned that they have kept back till later.

the.dreamfinder

Robert Iger has absolutely no appreciation for the Disney legacy of animation, except for its merchandising possibilities. So of course the Animation Building and courtyard had to go. People were having fun there, but weren't buying anything. :p
The version of the Magic of Disney Animation which closed this summer was a dumbed down shell of its former self. It was not the attraction which sought to entertain and inform guests how animated films are made. It's been well over ten years since that QUALITY version left us. Let's not be under the perception that this is some great loss; they just finally decided to bury the corpse.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Question for the class: Why does everyone think that there's only two attractions for SWL?

I agree with you Dave, there's probably a lot more 'stuff'. Certainly this sounds more on the Diagon Alley level where the restaurant, retail, streetmosphere will be a great attraction/time sink in and of itself.

I think people confuse two signature attractions with only two attractions total. A spinner can and probably will be inserted as they see fit... and if there isn't a spinner, that's no real loss either.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Question for the class: Why does everyone think that there's only two attractions for SWL?
I agree with you Dave, there's probably a lot more 'stuff'. Certainly this sounds more on the Diagon Alley level where the restaurant, retail, streetmosphere will be a great attraction/time sink in and of itself.

I think people confuse two signature attractions with only two attractions total. A spinner can and probably will be inserted as they see fit... and if there isn't a spinner, that's no real loss either.

There are more than 2 additions for Star Wars coming to Florida. The themeing will be beyond what UNI has done with Potter. If you like immersive environments, TSL and SW will be your Valhallah. After all, you've waited long enough....

*1023*

Bairstow

Language.
One new attraction is just a "new ride".
Two new attractions is the bare minimum they can build and get away with the general public calling it an "expansion".
Even if some of your "new rides" are just extensive re-themes, like the Dragons and Hippogriff at Wizarding World, I think the fact that a park can say rides with the plural is far more attractive than just the one. The psychology of this sort of thing and how it effects families' travel plans is probably focused-grouped to death.

Kman101

Because 2 rides is what they implied so everyone is running with it. I'm not and hope for more but that seems to be their go to. 2/3 rides, meet and greets and a restaurant. What else is there? And Have you seen GMA' news coverage? Or WFTV's of it? It's no wonder the general public gets confused and has no idea what park has what. I shook my head over those "news" stories about SW coming to the parks. Sigh. Is it really that hard?

And are we sure Cali is getting it first? To me, with them announcing it that they are "building two of them" (SW Land) I'd have to guess they buld them both around the same time. Why push off one or the other? They're going to be the same.

Magenta Panther

The version of the Magic of Disney Animation which closed this summer was a dumbed down shell of its former self. It was not the attraction which sought to entertain and inform guests how animated films are made. It's been well over ten years since that QUALITY version left us. Let's not be under the perception that this some great loss; they just finally decided to bury the corpse.

True, it wasn't what it used to be. But I enjoyed it there. There was a lot of Disney animation history there. Since Disney animation is the keystone of the company's success, it's a shame that it's being discarded in favor of an off-studio IP. That is just all kinds of wrong IMO.

mm52200

True, it wasn't what it used to be. But I enjoyed it there. There was a lot of Disney animation history there. Since Disney animation is the keystone of the company's success, it's a shame that it's being discarded in favor of an off-studio IP. That is just all kinds of wrong IMO.
That AND the place was still packed. The drawing class always had a super long line and there were rumors of them expanding the capacity of it. The closure of this and the upcoming closure of One Mans Dream are just criminal in my opinion. Forget history and heritage.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom