A Spirited Perfect Ten

doctornick

Character dining is great if you're interested in the characters available. For WDW and DLP it's just Princesses, Pooh's pals and Mickey & friends. Anyone else requires the old stand-in-line routine.

In general, you are right but there's also Disney Jr, Alice/Mad Hatter (you wouldn't consider them princess, would you?), Lilo & Stitch, I think Mary Poppins still goes to 1900 Park Fare for breakfast. Does the Hilton still have Br’er Bear & Br’er Fox? There's also Beast, though not truly a character meal (and he's princess related).

Edit: As an aside, why don't they do a woodland creatures one at Wilderness Lodge, like the one at Storytellers at DLR? Seems like a perfect match and a great opportunity to have some more unique characters.

Cesar R M

I have no idea. Just for that vast a difference between last year and this year? Crazy.

Also, unpleasant. I wouldn't want to go. Give me 75 degrees, low humidity and low crowds. I think they call it early December.

Edit: The data is just so much of an outlier and a consistant outlier as compared to 2013 as well.

Its not just MK, all 4 parks are busier.
I honestly believe that people saved more money in the mentality of "things are not getting better, so better just save money" than just "lol better economy, lets expend like mad!".

Cesar R M

So when did all of the operational critiques of MyMagic+ disappear? Or do people just like to pretend like they're on to a mystery?
MyMagic works.. but when it hits a busy day.. the systems crash and collapse in awful ways.
Until Disney finds a way to fix this.. I'm pretty sure the trend will continue.
As for critiques.. more like they got sick of complaining and most complains falling in deaf hears.

cdd89

Since Ratatouille didn't open until July of 2014 I wonder if that's still a draw for 2015 DLP travellers?
During the course of my daily eavesdropping, I get the impression that almost all UK "holiday" visitors are not at all regular, possibly even never visited before. I heard a few people in WDS commenting on the Tower of Terror being "the one from Florida" (boy, would they be in for a disappointment!). So based on that, Ratatouille may be a draw, but they're more likely to have been wheeled over by the latest marketing ploy (Frozen).

I have to say... I have really mixed feelings on Frozen in DLP. It revolves around an hourly theatre show, the "high budget" offering if you like. Shame the high quality set and reasonable (for non Tokyo Disney!) acting is let down by a nonexistent plot. So... What about the insert to "Dreams"? Well, the section that "Let It Go" replaced didn't have many fireworks in it, and clearly nobody was going to increase the nightly budget just because Elsa had shown up, so this huge song has to make do with lighting effects and (literally!) a couple of small shooters. It is the most ridiculous thing, especially given that the "Christmas Dreams" performance set the same song to a lot of fireworks.

Chez Remy is as good as it always was (a fantastic restaurant to re-visit too, since every seat offers a different view), but when it isn't able to get more than half-full at 1pm on the weekend of a major holiday (with a 75-minute wait time "next door"), and despite representing pretty good value for a table service restaurant (indeed the only table service restaurant in the park), you have to wonder...

PhotoDave219

An interesting observation..... The trend over the past two months has the weekends being slower than the weekdays at the parks.

Could be why Disney & Universal are pushing local/Florida promotions, to get people to come and fill in that little bit. Of course, its unlikley Florida resident is going to come in the middle of the summer and stay for a weekend and deal with that heat and those crowds.

Looks like the weekdays are filled with the tourists, with travel days being the weekends.

CinematicFusion

I suppose the economy is better for some folks (without question better for those at the very top), but for the vast majority of the middle class it is stagnating or getting worse. I'm baffled by the crazy crowds. I assume it's just people maxing out their credit cards or spending what they can while they still can, because the standard of living for a whole lot of people in this country is going nowhere but down. Saving 5-10 bucks a week on gas is not going to fund a Disney trip, especially when the cost of nearly everything else continues to skyrocket while wages continue to flatline.

For most, Disney is a trip you have to save a few years for. Plan ahead when you have kids. Save...save...save. Very hard for most to go to Disney on a whim...unless you live in Orlando or Anaheim.

culturenthrills

NY Times has an article about all the investment in Universal parks.

[URL]http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/03/business/media/comcast-invests-by-the-billion-in-theme-parks-hogwarts-and-all.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Business%20Day&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article[/URL]

This quote pretty much sums up Comcast's endgame:
“We are user friendly,” Mr. Williams said. “If visitors notice what we’re doing here and decide to spend a day or two less at a competing resort, hip hip hooray.”

DisneyCane

For most, Disney is a trip you have to save a few years for. Plan ahead when you have kids. Save...save...save. Very hard for most to go to Disney on a whim...unless you live in Orlando or Anaheim.

You can do it on a whim from pretty much anywhere in Florida. 3-4 hour drive max. You can find reasonably cheap and decent lodging somewhere within 20 minutes of WDW (or do a one day trip if you get up early and drive home late).

Figments Friend

"A Disneyland ride never made"

And yet, the plans clearly say Magic Kingdom. Odd.

If i am recalling my history correctly, 'Mickey's Madhouse' was a Attraction that was originally developed to be included in the 'Dumbo's Circusland' area that was proposed for Disneyland in the mid 1970s.
'Discovery Bay' and 'Dumbo's Circusland' were both being developed at that time and were even officially announced as new expansion areas for that Park.
Sadly, neither came to fruition.

It seems to me that based on the documentation shown in that eBay listing, the concept for 'Mickey's Madhouse' was revived and then re-developed in the mid-80s as a proposed Attraction called 'Mickey's Movieland' for WDW's Fantasyland
Thus why the listing says '...a Disneyland ride never made...' and yet you see WDW Magic Kingdom related documents about it.
The concept was originally developed for Disneyland, but when 'Dumbo's Circusland' folded the idea was shelved for possible future use.

Imagineering does that all the time.
Saves unused ideas or concepts until one day they might get revived or redeveloped with a current project.

Just think of all the fabulous concepts just sitting on those shelves...or forgotten in file cabinets...or just sitting there waiting for the right moment to be brought back to life.
Time to brush some of those off.
:)

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Marty's letter, and the notice regarding the facade contest are both worth the asking price alone in humor content.
:D

That was a GREAT find and really shows the simplicty of some of the beginnings of imagineer projects. I also see Tim and Steve Kirk listed there...some of the geniuses who worked on DisneySea (and who have their own design firm now)

Cesar R M

NY Times has an article about all the investment in Universal parks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/03/business/media/comcast-invests-by-the-billion-in-theme-parks-hogwarts-and-all.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Business Day&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

This quote pretty much sums up Comcast's endgame:
“We are user friendly,” Mr. Williams said. “If visitors notice what we’re doing here and decide to spend a day or two less at a competing resort, hip hip hooray.”
HAH, loved the part where analyst said that parks are not "smart" investments.

Wall street really is about "tiny spending and BS levels of income".

lazyboy97o

MyMagic works.. but when it hits a busy day.. the systems crash and collapse in awful ways.
Until Disney finds a way to fix this.. I'm pretty sure the trend will continue.
As for critiques.. more like they got sick of complaining and most complains falling in deaf hears.
If it works just as intended then we're all a bunch of lousy analysts and operations doesn't really know how to do their job. It also means people like Jay Rasulo really do have a stronger grasp of operations than those dealing with the day-to-day realities. I'm more inclined to think that the predicted inefficiencies are there, thus resulting in the long expected increases in crowding (which Disney also anticipated with the interactive queues).

Figments Friend

That was a GREAT find and really shows the simplicty of some of the beginnings of imagineer projects. I also see Tim and Steve Kirk listed there...some of the geniuses who worked on DisneySea (and who have their own design firm now)

Oh i wholeheartedly agree.
Several other well known names in Imagineering are also scattered about in those documents upon closer inspection.

The concept art shown for the proposed *Mickey*s Movieland* was great to see.
For years i have been reading about the various Attractions and such that were supposed to be a part of the *Discovery Bay * - *Dumbo*s Circusland* projects.
Although the concept art is not for the original *Mickey*s Madhouse* proposed for Circusland, it is still cool to see how far the re-development of that idea went with it being a serious candidate for a WDW Fantasyland Attraction.
The decision for the Company to move forward with the *Studio Park* in Orlando likely stifled further development of it for MK.

I have to now wonder if perhaps the *Movieland* Attraction was considered for the Disney-MGM Studios project.
Seems a natural fit.

Brer Panther

Makes you wonder... If it had gone into Fantasyland, would it have been built from scratch or would it have replaced some other ride, like Mr. Toad? If it had replaced Mr. Toad, would Pooh have replaced it later, would Pooh have replaced another ride like Snow White, or would Pooh have been built from scratch?

Bairstow

Makes you wonder... If it had gone into Fantasyland, would it have been built from scratch or would it have replaced some other ride, like Mr. Toad? If it had replaced Mr. Toad, would Pooh have replaced it later, would Pooh have replaced another ride like Snow White, or would Pooh have been built from scratch?

Assuming what @Figments Friend said is accurate, I would imagine it would have been part of a then-new expansion where Mickey's Birthdayland Starland Storybook Circus came to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom