A Spirited Perfect Ten

MerlinTheGoat

I do indeed recall it being discussed quite a while back (well before MM+ rolled out for regular guests and while we were still discussing the intentions behind the project) that one way they intended to "increase profits" was to try to remove a lot of the mental steps and anxiety that go into making purchases. The idea I believe was that since your magicbands are already linked to your credit card or whatever, the process becomes easier and quicker. And that it would lead to less hesitation from a psychological perspective having a guest swipe their magicband to buy something. The process of digging through a wallet/purse can lead to the customer hesitating and thinking the decision through, giving your cash or a credit card would further accentuate the worry about wasting money.

The normal thought process of a purchase initially begins with "hey I want this, i'm going to buy it". Waiting in line of course provides some time to think about your item and whether you'd want it, but fiddling with a wallet or purse at check out provides additional time to think it through (and anxiety starts to kick in). The next thought that would perhaps cross a mind might be "hm, that's a lot of money, wonder if it's worth it". And as you're fumbling with handing over your cash or credit card, hesitation sets in and may even lead to "you know what, I don't really need or want this, don't know why I thought I did, I changed my mind". Thus in some theoretical cases, the additional time to think and the anxiety about wasting money ruins the sale.

So the idea is to create a process that is "quicker and less stressful", reducing the amount of time a customer has to make a decision (catching them during the moment while they still desire an item and haven't weighed their options). As well as the anxiety of parting with cash or using credit cards, the wristband acts as an additional layer that dulls the aversion to spending. They theorized less time for the customer to think about purchase decisions, and less anxiety about spending money by not actually having you physically handle money or credit cards. Thus (theoretically) increasing the success of potential sales.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Having observed some of my family members, the power of this feature to influence guest behavior should not be underestimated.
I believe that type of influence is understandable for children, which is perfectly fine IMO.

As far as adults though, I will never understand how a full grown person needs the urge to "feel better" about a purchase simply because they did not use their CC or cash. Especially if they willingly adhere to the illusionary mindset intention of the MB knowing full well that they are simply tricking themselves into spending more money. Not saying thats what you are doing, @Bairstow , I just quoted you because:

A. What you said is true

B. Ive seen many people here admit that the MB makes them feel better about spending because they dont actually feel like they spent money, or that seeing the mickey head turn green makes them feel good. lol

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Human psychology is such a fickle thing. A person's mood can be changed simply because the color of the room they are in.
They say taupe is very soothing...

but in terms of MB's and the adults who fully admit that they have "fun" purchasing items with it because they dont feel bad is like saying, "I know that when I walk into a yellow color room I wont care about spending more money then I should, so Im gonna purposely walk into a yellow room and buy something I fully know that I shouldnt so I can blame it on the yellow room, not my lack of self control."

Wikkler

but in terms of MB's and the adults who fully admit that they have "fun" purchasing items with it because they dont feel bad is like saying, "I know that when I walk into a yellow color room I wont care about spending more money then I should, so Im gonna purposely walk into a yellow room and buy something I fully know that I shouldnt so I can blame it on the yellow room, not my lack of self control."
And of course nobody tries to use their magic band after their vacation like in that commercial...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And of course nobody tries to use their magic band after their vacation like in that commercial...
I remember when Disney commercials were actually about WDW. Now its all psychological warfare and some of them dont even make any sense, Like the one you referenced.

My favorite is the one with the family checking in at Boardwalk and theyre all wearing magic bands which means they should have received the emails, the usb and all other info that instructs you and strongly encourages you to make your plans in advance which will enhance your vacation! Yet when this family checks in, they each request a ride, parade, or a restaurant they would like to experience which proves they completely ignored the purpose of the bands in the first place and it also gives the impression that you can just arrive and ask the CM at check in to book any dining experience or attraction and not only will you get it, but they will do it right on the spot. The best part is the Mom requesting she would like to go to the pool, as if you need a CM to handle that. (I ranted about this commercial before)

Wikkler

I remember when Disney commercials were actually about WDW. Now its all psychological warfare and some of them dont even make any sense, Like the one you referenced.

My favorite is the one with the family checking in at Boardwalk and theyre all wearing magic bands which means they should have received the emails, the usb and all other info that instructs you and strongly encourages you to make your plans in advance which will enhance your vacation! Yet when this family checks in, they each request a ride, parade, or a restaurant they would like to experience which proves they completely ignored the purpose of the bands in the first place and it also gives the impression that you can just arrive and ask the CM at check in to book any dining experience or attraction and not only will you get it, but they will do it right on the spot. The best part is the Mom requesting she would like to go to the pool, as if you need a CM to handle that. (I ranted about this commercial before)
I wonder when the first commercial will air that features families asking the CM if they can go to the bathroom.

lazyboy97o

It's the same reason so many Americans have significant amounts of credit card debt.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I wonder when the first commercial will air that features families asking the CM if they can go to the bathroom.
I could honestly see them having and ad that subliminally suggests using their restroom is magical. They say and do the oddest things and people buy into it.

I recall that Fast Company article that quoted Meg describing a scene of parents juggling multiple strollers, FP's, room keys, and suntan lotion and how the magic bands would be a device to aid them in those struggles?????? She seriously suggested that the MB could help with suntan lotion and strollers. The only thing more ridiculous in that article was the tuckered out dad carrying his sleeping princess and describing magic bands as a life saver and how he couldnt imagine ever going back to the archaic ways of paper. Of course the article ignored that paper FP is still issued and utilized all the time.

Goofyernmost

It's the same reason so many Americans have significant amounts of credit card debt.
I don't doubt for a minute that there are many people that are so out of control of their own situation that it would cause them to spend more then they intended or that they could afford. It is a story of the sad state of our systems that teach the "hows" and not the "what happens after". That is a much more important focus then how to get in debt. That part is easy, getting out, is the national nightmare.

Personally, I wouldn't care if I had a thousand Magic Bands, I will still spend only what I had originally planned which is usually nothing when it comes to buying stuff at a Disney Store in a theme park. So, I have to say that I don't understand that way of thinking, but, I guess that there is some truth to it. I like to think that the general public is smarter then that, however, no one ever got rich by underestimating the intelligence of individuals.

My X was a lot like that. If she had $5000 in the bank she thought of that as if she was Bill Gates. She was rich and didn't have to worry about spending at all.

lazyboy97o

I don't doubt for a minute that there are many people that are so out of control of their own situation that it would cause them to spend more then they intended or that they could afford. It is a story of the sad state of our systems that teach the "hows" and not the "what happens after". That is a much more important focus then how to get in debt. That part is easy, getting out, is the national nightmare.

Personally, I wouldn't care if I had a thousand Magic Bands, I will still spend only what I had originally planned which is usually nothing when it comes to buying stuff at a Disney Store in a theme park. So, I have to say that I don't understand that way of thinking, but, I guess that there is some truth to it. I like to think that the general public is smarter then that, however, no one ever got rich by underestimating the intelligence of individuals.

My X was a lot like that. If she had $5000 in the bank she thought of that as if she was Bill Gates. She was rich and didn't have to worry about spending at all.
Most everyone says that, but the studies repeatedly show differently. These aren't some small subset of people, it is a truth about all of us.

Frankie The Beer

Disney earnings tomorrow. Expect the Mouse to crush expectations yet again. Don't expect a huge, permanent stock price increase, maybe a little one, I would guess within the .25-.50 cent range. The big one will come when the new Star Wars film becomes the highest grossing film of all time and all the products it sells because of it. Believe the hype machine.

twebber55

Disney earnings tomorrow. Expect the Mouse to crush expectations yet again. Don't expect a huge, permanent stock price increase, maybe a little one, I would guess within the .25-.50 cent range. The big one will come when the new Star Wars film becomes the highest grossing film of all time and all the products it sells because of it. Believe the hype machine.
id be shocked if it makes 3 billion, maybe 2 billion

71jason

That's because memorial day was different in 2014 then 2015.

I don't know what's driving this. I have no idea why it's significantly busier this year over previous years.

Again, based on one metric. If you used, for example, guests seated at monorail restaurants--the past few weeks have been ridiculously slow. I fear reading too much into one measurement that's subject to a host of variables.

Shaman

Translation: At Universal, you don't need to schedule your bathroom breaks six months in advance.

That has got to be a jab at MM+.

It's not that difficult, and you can forgo the whole process if that's your preference. Choice is better than a dumbed-down one size fits all approach.

My favorite part:

“I don’t think it’s a great business,” said Doug Creutz, an analyst at Cowen and Company. “You’re always pouring money into them. It’s relatively low return. And when you have a downturn in the economy, they typically get hit pretty hard.”​

Let's see ...

"You’re always pouring money into them."

Heaven forbid, you actually have to invest in a business to realize a return. :banghead:

"It’s relatively low return."

Universal's Theme Parks division saw a 33.4% operating margin for the first 6 months of the year. How friggin' big of a return do you want before you stop calling it "low"? :banghead:

"And when you have a downturn in the economy, they typically get hit pretty hard.”

And when times are good, the money just pours in. It's called a 'business cycle'. :banghead:

Sadly, Mr. Creutz' "analysis" is typical of today's Wall Street.

Gawd, I hate the mentality that makes it a crime for a business to actually invest in its business! :arghh:

Affects the economy too. Money hoarders, no trickle down. Greed.

FullSailDan

It's not that difficult, and you can forgo the whole process if that's your preference. Choice is better than a dumbed-down one size fits all approach.

I totally agree. I know a lot of people on here like to gripe about MM+ and booking in advance, but when it comes down to it, it really does make everything so much easier. You have a better shot of guaranteeing access to certain attractions, you don't HAVE to spend all afternoon waiting in winding queues, standing, drenched in sweat. It has eliminated the need to run on gate opening to the big attractions to get fast passes. (Yes folks, before MM+, the FP's were all gone for big attractions minutes into the day starting....)

The charge that wait times have dramatically increased based on the increased capacity of FP usage does have some truth. However, crowd levels are also way up in the parks and many attractions are not drawing the crowd they used to.(Pirates, Tiki, Stitch, Philhar). Changing tastes has left certain rides with stupid wait times for no very good reason other than, every kid loves Peter Pan.(For the record I can remember Peter Pan having a an hour+ wait time in September in 2005. (When I was a college kid with an annual pass and weekdays free.)

For the discussion on revenue generation of MM+, I think a lot of people are missing the key change MM+ has had on park behavior. People don't spend all day in lines waiting for rides. Guests "wait" for rides in gift shops, restaurants, in the walkways, and see street entertainment. Guests don't fret buying an ice cream cone or popcorn and not being allowed to enter a queue. This also means increased opportunities for access to street vendors, which is why you'll see a few more carts around the parks. This is also why you will see a renewed push for more sit down dining options in the park. The psychology of not using a credit card shouldn't be minimized but not the main focus of the discussion. Ease of payment does make a difference. As a passholder my magicband doesn't usually have a credit card attached to it, but I always have my iPhone with Apple Pay. I'm very happy to not carry my wallet with me in the parks (To be fair my phone case is my wallet anyways) and I spend more in the parks because of it.

Disney has recognized the millennial generation is a tech generation. They are bringing their kids to the parks for the first time, and make up the bulk of visitors currently. They also are exceptionally finicky about experiences that are bureaucratic or have inefficiencies that could be solved through better use of technology. They often favor less popular or more expensive options if they are more accessible through the internet or smart phones. Without embracing their methods of consumption, Disney would see significantly lower demand in the next decade. So I think a lot of what we see in frustration with users of MM+ is the failure of some to be adopters. There are hiccups in the system, and it isn't perfect, but technology is always about iteration and progression. If every release could be tested in every situation for every use before release, we wouldn't ever release.

Cesar R M

If it works just as intended then we're all a bunch of lousy analysts and operations doesn't really know how to do their job. It also means people like Jay Rasulo really do have a stronger grasp of operations than those dealing with the day-to-day realities. I'm more inclined to think that the predicted inefficiencies are there, thus resulting in the long expected increases in crowding (which Disney also anticipated with the interactive queues).
I never said anything about inefficiencies or about the real reason myMagic was developed.
I just said the thing works in engineering standpoint.
It lets you manage your stuff, your reservations..etc..
But when it crashes.. it crashes spectacularly (and most of the time.. server side which is worse)

Goofyernmost

I could honestly see them having and ad that subliminally suggests using their restroom is magical. They say and do the oddest things and people buy into it.

I recall that Fast Company article that quoted Meg describing a scene of parents juggling multiple strollers, FP's, room keys, and suntan lotion and how the magic bands would be a device to aid them in those struggles?????? She seriously suggested that the MB could help with suntan lotion and strollers. The only thing more ridiculous in that article was the tuckered out dad carrying his sleeping princess and describing magic bands as a life saver and how he couldnt imagine ever going back to the archaic ways of paper. Of course the article ignored that paper FP is still issued and utilized all the time.
I think one would have a hard time finding the old FP paper tickets anywhere at WDW. If you are referring to the "compensations" FP's given out by CM's, that is not the same thing.

I will agree that if that article said that MM+ would help with sun screen or strollers, that would be a bit of a stretch, but, I didn't see that article so I really cannot comment on it's context.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom