A Spirited Perfect Ten

PhotoDave219

I definitely don't agree, but to each their own. I do feel that it is a little early to base their entire cinematic universe off one single movie and two early trailers though.

I give you that.

However... if a movie trailer is meant to give a viewer a peak of the film and see what its about, all of the "slow motion people screaming" and over the top Jesus/Superman symbolism has turned me off.

On the plus side, I didnt even notice that Afleck was playing Batman. Although he was the bomb in Phantoms.

BrianLo

A few more I've come across. Don't know where @the.dreamfinder is finding getting photos and no idea where @ItlngrlBella watched the presentation...

I'm sure a HD video of the model will pop up by tomorrow.

005FWG36gw1eu37rg096oj30tm18gn6g.jpg

005FWG36gw1eu38ejxx40j318g0fmwlx.jpg

Voyage of the Crystal Grotto
005FWG36gw1eu38ttq47xj318g0rk1at.jpg

005FWG36gw1eu38umvvzjj318g0tm158.jpg

005FWG36gw1eu38unwchoj318g0tm4av.jpg

In this photo you can see "Tarzan" in the background... don't know the significance (?M&G) or what it says underneath, but Tarzan isn't involved in @WDW1974's menu.

GeneralZod

Huge comic fan here. I'm so sick of the "Grim dark" interpretation of superheroes. Snyder's Superman was the antithesis of what Superman stands for as a literary character. The movie was also incredibly boring and convoluted.

I don't mind new interpretations, i.e. Marvel's cinematic universe. I also love DC, so I'm not just ragging on them to rag. They're doing a great job on TV with Arrow, Flash, and the upcoming Super Girl. I just can't stand the DC movie universe. I will say that I will give the Suicide Squad a chance, but I'm just not a fan of the direction they're going at all.
This is so far away from my views I don't think debating would result in anything more than silly pointless arguing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
If/when MyMagic+ arrives in Anaheim it will have to be a lighter, more nimble, less mandatory hybrid version that bears little resemblance to the Orlando legacy version.

The reason why is due to the lack of a captive audience at Disneyland. There are over 22,000 hotel rooms within walking distance of Disneyland (with three new corporate hotels nearing completion this summer), but only 2,400 of those rooms are owned and operated by Disney. There are only fifty DVC villas at the Disneyland Resort. 50!

Thus, Disney owns and operates barely 10% of the hotel stock for tourists visiting the Disneyland Resort. Plus a similarly small number of the restaurants, shops, bars, tourist services, etc. in the Anaheim Resort District. And all the tourists from Seattle or Seoul or Salt Lake or Sydney who fill all those rooms weekly are using Anaheim as their base camp for extended trips throughout Southern California, in a dynamic environment that Disney has no control over.

The captive audience just isn't there like it is at WDW.

That said, if Disney could figure out a way to give Disneyland Annual Passholders lots of real or perceived value from a reconfigured MyMagic+ system, then Anaheim could go into totally uncharted territory with such a system...

Precisely, It's not the magic bands themselves which are bad or the General idea behind it, It's the use of them to shape guest behavior and force people to 'reserve' in advance which are the major sticking points for many of us whose WDW planning for decades centered around which park do I want to visit tomorrow, Dining for a long time has been regimented but ADR's have made it worse and WDW reducing dining capacity has not helped at all. But since most Dining experiences are not al-fresco planning in advance has little impact on the guest experience unless you are doing the Luau or one of the BBQ's weather is a non issue.

I've always been able to see that making the MB emulate legacy fastpass for 'Day Of' guests would be a win along with allowing resort guests to reserve their next day's attractions, I'm sorry FL weather is too variable for planning months out

GeneralZod

I give you that.

However... if a movie trailer is meant to give a viewer a peak of the film and see what its about, all of the "slow motion people screaming" and over the top Jesus/Superman symbolism has turned me off.

On the plus side, I didnt even notice that Afleck was playing Batman. Although he was the bomb in Phantoms.
I guess I had better stop Before we get chastised for derailing a directionless thread. We really need a comic forum.

asianway

Spirited Shanghai Surprises Set To Be Released in 12 Hours:

And, it would appear that the CCP doesn't have issues at this point as O-Town based DPBlogger Shawn Slater has been tweeting up a storm on the subject:
@disneyshawn 8h8 hours ago

Big doin's this week in Shanghai, as Disney prepares to announce details about #ShanghaiDisneyResort and #ShanghaiDisneyland Park!

Shawn Slater ‏@disneyshawn 8h8 hours ago
Tune in to Good Morning America tomorrow, as Bob Woodruff reports live from the #ShanghaiDisneyResort Media Showcase. @GMA

‏@disneyshawn 8h8 hours ago

You can also watch the #ShanghaiDisneyResort reveal live online here: http://news.qq.com/zt2015/shdr/index.htm… The big event starts at 6 am Eastern tomorrow!
Shawn "meet n greet" Slater has been getting downright hostile lately. Shots at lifestyler blogs and a get over it PI/AC tweet- not paying him enough?

brb1006

Spirited Shanghai Surprises Set To Be Released in 12 Hours:

And, it would appear that the CCP doesn't have issues at this point as O-Town based DPBlogger Shawn Slater has been tweeting up a storm on the subject:
@disneyshawn 8h8 hours ago

Big doin's this week in Shanghai, as Disney prepares to announce details about #ShanghaiDisneyResort and #ShanghaiDisneyland Park!

Shawn Slater ‏@disneyshawn 8h8 hours ago
Tune in to Good Morning America tomorrow, as Bob Woodruff reports live from the #ShanghaiDisneyResort Media Showcase. @GMA

‏@disneyshawn 8h8 hours ago

You can also watch the #ShanghaiDisneyResort reveal live online here: http://news.qq.com/zt2015/shdr/index.htm… The big event starts at 6 am Eastern tomorrow!
I hope someone records this just encase someone misses it.

BrianLo

Would they build another version of the treehouse, even though HKDL already has it?

I'd guess very unlikely, but that's just a semi-informed guess. My suspicion - M&G or involved in the Adventure Isle Stage Show, which we so far don't know anything about.

There are four major indoor shows, with large theatres and queuing area. A stunt show in Treasure Cove, and three further ones in Adventure Isle (Storehouse Stage), Fantasyland (Once Upon a Time Adventure) and Tomorrowland (Arena E).

ParentsOf4

The LA Times posted an interesting article on Shanghai Disneyland:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...ct-disney-shanghai-20150715-story.html#page=1

Quoting from perhaps the most informative section:

Towson said pricing will be crucial in managing visitor flow. A one-day Hong Kong Disneyland ticket costs about $64. It is unclear whether the opening of Shanghai Disney might diminish crowds at Hong Kong Disneyland, which finally began turning a profit in 2012. Last year, 48% of visitors to that park were from mainland China.

The 2016 opening of Shanghai Disney will come as China is in the midst of a wave of theme-park building. China is expected to add 59 theme parks by 2020, according to a report last year by industry analyst Aecom. Universal Parks & Resorts announced last fall that it would build a $3.3-billion, 300-acre theme park in Beijing to open around 2019.

But many Chinese theme parks tend to be modestly budgeted facilities underpinned with weak or no intellectual property and little lasting appeal. Wei Xiaoan of the Tourism Research Center at the Chinese Academy of Social Sciences said last year that just 10% of the 300 largest Chinese theme parks were turning a profit, 20% were breaking even and 70% were losing money.​

SDL will give Disney broad exposure in China, enabling the company's other segments to expand into the market if the Chinese government is willing to moderately prosecute copyright infringers. I expect we'll read lots of stories of knockoff products. ;)

With the "modestly budgeted facilities" struggling, pricing will be competitive. Disney won't be able to get away with the price points it uses domestically even though its product will be superior. Despite all the talk of China's emerging middle class, income remains a fraction of what it is in most First World countries.

Meanwhile, with 48% of HKDL's visitors from the mainland, the impact on HKDL is a concern. Initial reports are that SDL will be superior to HKDL, with the 2 parks roughly the same distance from each other as Orlando is from Washington, D.C. Exactly how badly will HKDL's business be impacted?

There looks to be some interesting times ahead. :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom