A Spirited Perfect Ten

hopemax

The arcade cabinet is at DisneyQuest, or at least it was at one point.

Theme Park Connection had one for sale. My brain is mush from dealing with stuff with my Mom. But I'm pretty sure that I saw one at the Animation Building last summer and then earlier in 2015 saw it, with a SOLD sign at Theme Park Connection.

Mike S

I know several exist, played one at Yestercades in Red Bank NJ earlier this year.
Funny coincidence..........
image.jpg

..........that's where I saw the one I posted a picture of.

AEfx

Meh is being generous, honestly.

So, so flawed. iO9 nailed it with their Spoiler FAQ.

Seeing it a second time, I really did envision the perfect fan-edit in my head (which I'll do as soon as the 3D Blu comes out - kind of like my 60 minute Catwoman version of Dark Knight Rises that I love). I wish they had just not bothered at all with the "character moments" - they are forced, and the film doesn't need them. I would have felt just as scared for the kids just because they were kids, I didn't need to know about their crappy home life.

That won't fix some of the directing issues - watching it a second time, making sure I hadn't missed anything the first time, there were a good 3 times during the film where I wanted to just smack the director upside the head and say "WTH??": the opening monorail sequence, inside the T-Rex attraction, and the "behind the amber" portion of the finale. I got what he was trying to do - subvert audience expectations - but what he was trying to do just sucked, LOL - you can't do that in a picture like this and not payoff. It just came across as "I want to be an arty director and not make a cookie cutter film" when if any film needs that cookie cutter precision, it's one like this.

Overall, still rather satisfied - heck, already ordered the Blu-ray - it definitely had a lot of good (and some great) to it. I think there is a good 85-minute film there, and hopefully there will be some deleted scenes on the home release of some more attractions - that was the other big thing, it felt like they spent way more time in lines than in attractions.

Tigger1988

Seeing it a second time, I really did envision the perfect fan-edit in my head (which I'll do as soon as the 3D Blu comes out - kind of like my 60 minute Catwoman version of Dark Knight Rises that I love). I wish they had just not bothered at all with the "character moments" - they are forced, and the film doesn't need them. I would have felt just as scared for the kids just because they were kids, I didn't need to know about their crappy home life.

That won't fix some of the directing issues - watching it a second time, making sure I hadn't missed anything the first time, there were a good 3 times during the film where I wanted to just smack the director upside the head and say "WTH??": the opening monorail sequence, inside the T-Rex attraction, and the "behind the amber" portion of the finale. I got what he was trying to do - subvert audience expectations - but what he was trying to do just sucked, LOL - you can't do that in a picture like this and not payoff. It just came across as "I want to be an arty director and not make a cookie cutter film" when if any film needs that cookie cutter precision, it's one like this.

Overall, still rather satisfied - heck, already ordered the Blu-ray - it definitely had a lot of good (and some great) to it. I think there is a good 85-minute film there, and hopefully there will be some deleted scenes on the home release of some more attractions - that was the other big thing, it felt like they spent way more time in lines than in attractions.
I still don't get WHY the parent's divorce was mentioned or so heavily alluded to, it had zero baring on the plot.

AEfx

I still don't get WHY the parent's divorce was mentioned or so heavily alluded to, it had zero baring on the plot.

I think I said this earlier, but I'm pretty sure at least that second scene (the cry baby one) was a reshoot. Sure felt like one. Also very well could have been the first scene, as well (though even that one if you trimmed the end it's gone). If you take out those two, the subplot plot pretty much vanishes.

I presume it was because, Spielberg; if you notice, he has a recurring motif of divorced/estranged parents in films (notably ET which was pretty well documented why he did that personally, as he is the child of divorce), and a really thin attempt to give us reasons to care about the kids. (Like I said a minute ago, though - we didn't need that - decent kids getting chased by Dinos, that's all you need to know.)

In the fan-edit in my head, the movie starts when they are picked up at the airport, LOL. ;)

That, and the directing issues, both seem to me to be entirely born of "how do we avoid criticism that the film is too much like a theme park ride" or too "cookie cutter" when, in fact, that's all anyone really wanted, LOL.

hpyhnt 1000

In the fan-edit in my head, the movie starts when they are picked up at the airport, LOL. ;)

If you mean when they get on the ferry and head for Isla Nublar, then YES! Those first few minutes of "family" backstory were painful to watch. And even once we hit the park the kids were still annoying cookie cutter stereotypes. It wasn't til we got to Claire leading the Verizon folks through the lab that I finally thought I was watching the movie I should be.

AEfx

If you mean when they get on the ferry and head for Isla Nublar, theb YES! Those first few minutes of "family" backstory were painful to watch. And even once we hit the park the kids were still annoying cookie cutter stereotypes. It wasn't til we got to Claire leading the Verizon folks through the lab that I finally thought I was watching the movie I should be.

Exactly. I think this is where the battle over the screenplay (which actually went through heavy arbitration for credit purposes) shows the most.

A good 2/3 of the stuff with the kids standing in line/on transportation can just vanish and wouldn't affect the film. Even though the audiences I have seen it with had great reactions to a lot of the jokes, and clapped heartily at the end, you could almost hear all the eyes rolling in their heads when the kid suddenly becomes a basket case. The uncomfortable was palatable. If you also notice, there is a line where the mom says how mean the older one can be to the younger one when they are alone - that was pretty obvious and would have been enough to show how they "bonded" by getting closer during the movie without having all the mommy daddy drama.

Thing is, I honestly thought the kids did pretty well with what they were given - but you could have given Meryl Streep shiz like that and even she couldn't have elevated it, LOL. They were great once the film got going, though.

Last edited:

TalkingHead

I thought maybe the divorce stuff was satirizing the shaky character backstories of disaster movies. But in the moment of watching the movie it felt like an attempt to explain why the mother cried on the phone and why this family time with the aunt was so important to her.

And then there's the surrogate family stuff with Owen and the aunt and the kids -- but suffice it to say the script wasn't flawless.

I also thought they could've done a better job of introducing the functioning theme park. You only see snippets of a few attractions. It would've been nice to see a brief Disney-style montage of the park with happy individual families. I liked the petting zoo scene but would have liked a little more of that kind of thing.

AEfx

I also thought they could've done a better job of introducing the functioning theme park. You only see snippets of a few attractions. It would've been nice to see a brief Disney-style montage of the park with happy individual families. I liked the petting zoo scene but would have liked a little more of that kind of thing.

First, absolutely agree. I really hope there is more of that on the Blu-ray extras. That made the time spent in all the lines much more tedious. And when we did get in an attraction (the T-rex pen, for instance) the director mucked it all up.

That said, funny enough, the film's website does a great job of what you are asking for. Wish to heck it was in the movie, though. I hadn't been to a movie promo website this decade but I checked it out - it's really cool. It's basically a "live feed" from the park - attendance, hours, etc. and info on attractions. As neat as it is, though - again, no one goes to movie promo sites like that anymore, and it's stuff I really wish the film itself had more of.

Cesar R M

I'm not sure how anyone who remotely likes movies could dislike Inside Out.

I think it's quite possibly Pixar's best. More for adults than kids though.
Its a matter of taste. Many people I know hated Wall E. I loved it. probably one of my favourite movies by Pixar, UP as well.
In the other hand.. I did not like Toy Story that much despite its universal acclaim.

I hope to see Inside out next week!.

Meh is being generous, honestly.

So, so flawed. iO9 nailed it with their Spoiler FAQ.
I have to agree with you. They failed for the same tropes of any horror film.
And in the majority was the dumb flaw of "thinking outside logic" (stupidity choices that are clearly a danger), the corporations being greedy and mismanagement.

For a "pass the week" type flick... the Chris Pratt parts are awesome and the references to the first jurassic park movie... are the redeeming parts of the whole thing.

Cesar R M

Probably the classic failed attempt to make the characters more relatable and as excuse for the "why they do stupid things" or...
"why I dont trust my aunt" (not that she was already a perfect example of who NOT TO TRUST)

Exactly. I think this is where the battle over the screenplay (which actually went through heavy arbitration for credit purposes) shows the most.

A good 2/3 of the stuff with the kids standing in line/on transportation can just vanish and wouldn't affect the film. Even though the audiences I have seen it with had great reactions to a lot of the jokes, and clapped heartily at the end, you could almost hear all the eyes rolling in their heads when the kid suddenly becomes a basket case. The uncomfortable was palatable. If you also notice, there is a line where the mom says how mean the older one can be to the younger one when they are alone - that was pretty obvious and would have been enough to show how they "bonded" by getting closer during the movie without having all the mommy daddy drama.

Thing is, I honestly thought the kids did pretty well with what they were given - but you could have given Meryl Streep shiz like that and even she couldn't have elevated it, LOL. They were great once the film got going, though.

One thing I almost don't want to mention but I am shocked I have read nowhere...the younger kid seemed to have some autistic tendencies which seemed odd contrasted with his emotional instability.

Disagree. Meryl Streep can almost elevate anything as much Disney's PR (aka can polish a turd and make it look golden)
:hilarious:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Theme Park Connection had one for sale. My brain is mush from dealing with stuff with my Mom. But I'm pretty sure that I saw one at the Animation Building last summer and then earlier in 2015 saw it, with a SOLD sign at Theme Park Connection.
There are numerous offical ones disney made for the film's promotion... They were in the disney arcades as well... And they have been frequently been copied as custom jobs. The actual game binary is available out on the web etc.

In short, its not anything all that special and knockoffs can be had. Oh, and the game itself is nothing special :)

Shaman

I'm not sure how anyone who remotely likes movies could dislike Inside Out.

I think it's quite possibly Pixar's best. More for adults than kids though.

My opinion....Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Toy Story 3, Monsters Inc, and Up, are all better than Inside Out.

IO is missing something. I agree it's more for adults. Some of the kids in the theater were bored after 2/3 of the flick. Never seen that before with a Disney/Pixar movie.

It may do well this weekend, but it will be interesting to see the word-of-mouth it generates.

Creative, risky movie....Pixar and Disney get points for trying something different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom