A Spirited Perfect Ten

Cesar R M

I'm not sure I agree that all attractions inspired by movies are crap. Sure, many derivative attractions may be insipid, unoriginal and inherently shallow, but just look at Pirates, which was based off that hugely successful franchise; Tomorrowland which was based off the Tomorrowland movie; and even Space Mountain which was based on a building depicted in that movie and seems to be a firm favourite1. Even Tower of Terror and the Haunted Mansion were inspired by Disney's lesser known eponymous movies.

I'm not sure how everyone else in this thread has made these glaring omissions.
wasnt it the inversed?
aka the rides INSPIRED badly done movies?

Cesar R M

I kind of imagine a discussion like this:

"Jurassic World showed that there is still lots of interest in dinosaurs by people of all ages. We should do something new in Dinoland."

"It's too early to know if the Good Dinosaur will be a viable franchise, and we already did something loosely with Dinosaur, and nobody cares about that movie anyway. No, dinosaur investment is not a sound idea."

No thought even given to non-IP concepts, even though I'm sure Rohde and Co could come up with something. AK might be the only place where a sliver of hope exists that something non-IP could break through, but for how long.
thats probably how frozen went as well, until it exploded in an unsuspecting home run.

As insane as it sounds that a Disney executive would think that just plain dinosaurs cannot stand on their own, I believe it.
meanwhile.. at Universal...

Jurassic World doing amazing.. zookeepers around the world increasing the hype with their "reenacements" of Chris Pratt and the Raptors.

hopemax

As insane as it sounds that a Disney executive would think that just plain dinosaurs cannot stand on their own, I believe it.

What also gets me. A couple of weeks ago, we were Facetiming with my SIL, because we have a new nephew. The 2.5 year old was being a little shy, so SIL got him singing his new favorite song from his favorite tv show, I don't know what it is. Some Dinosaur A-Z song, and at 2.5 he's doing a really great job pronouncing all the names. My cousin used to do that in 1981, at 3 years old being able to recite back to you all sorts of technical dinosaur jargon, soaking it in like a sponge. But go on the Disney boards, and it's all "little kids get bored learning stuff." And we get "Where's Nemo" and "Where's Donald."

FigmentJedi

What also gets me. A couple of weeks ago, we were Facetiming with my SIL, because we have a new nephew. The 2.5 year old was being a little shy, so SIL got him singing his new favorite song from his favorite tv show, I don't know what it is. Some Dinosaur A-Z song, and at 2.5 he's doing a really great job pronouncing all the names. My cousin used to do that in 1981, at 3 years old being able to recite back to you all sorts of technical dinosaur jargon, soaking it in like a sponge. But go on the Disney boards, and it's all "little kids get bored learning stuff." And we get "Where's Nemo" and "Where's Donald."
Dinosaur Train's a great show for the little ones. It's actually headed by the creator of Hey Arnold from Nickelodeon's golden age.

Mike S

Well my sides just entered orbit: A blog created by an ex-"John Hammond Imagisaur" for a "Sea World/World of Color-esque" 10th anniversary spectacular pitch that ended up getting him fired from Jurassic World.
http://www.wowenough.com/new-blog/

The theme song demo is great.
IoA lagoon show? ;)

ETA: love this quote, "they say good ideas never really die at Imagisauring, they just get encased in amber and buried in the earth for millions of years." Also I like the Westworld reference :)
I kind of imagine a discussion like this:

"Jurassic World showed that there is still lots of interest in dinosaurs by people of all ages. We should do something new in Dinoland."

"It's too early to know if the Good Dinosaur will be a viable franchise, and we already did something loosely with Dinosaur, and nobody cares about that movie anyway. No, dinosaur investment is not a sound idea."

No thought even given to non-IP concepts, even though I'm sure Rohde and Co could come up with something. AK might be the only place where a sliver of hope exists that something non-IP could break through, but for how long.
So incredibly sad that I could believe that to be true.
If there's one thing that is an absolute, Dinosaurs will never fall out of style. Ever.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

People try to put us d-down (talkin' 'bout my generation)
Hey, isn't that one of the anthems for us older folks, along with don't trust anyone over 30**? All that does really is just confirm that nothing is new. What happens today, happened back then and before.
Just so you know that there is a hope for the future, once we reached 60 you could trust us again.

Goofywilliam

Went to the 1:15 showing of inside out at my local cinema today and may I say, this movie is GREAT! Loved every second of it and I believe the crowd did to. The theatre was about half full which I have never seen at this cinema, especially at a early afternoon showing. Everyone was laughing and walked out with a smile. Now let's hope The Good Dinosaur is this good!!!

lazyboy97o

I think the big difference is that for the most part (excepting us theme park geeks!) most millenials don't have much concept of, or loyalty to, Walt Disney, and what the Disney company was in the 80s and 90s. What they do have, however, is a love for the characters and movies of the last 25 years, and that will keep them coming, *not* the company culture or the Disney difference that attracted generations in the past.

In the past Disney movies were only so-so popular, but the parks were attractive because the rides were better, everything was maintained well, there was no litter on the streets etc... now Disney movies are super popular, and it's the lure of meeting characters and nostalgia for the films that will keep people bringing their kids, regardless of whether the in-park culture and small details that appealed to previous generations are still there or not.
But does that strategy actually work to create a bigger identity? It is the Universal strategy but none of the Universal parks have ever been cultural icons in the manner of a Disneyland or EPCOT Center. Even now with Universal's recent wave of success, Universal Orlando Resort is a good collection of attractions but not some cultural touchstone that truly touches people, including those who have not visited.

The millennial have also spent their entire lives being told that theme parks are inherently inferior to film. While there have been moments of deviation, in many ways it has been the mantra at Disney since 1984, validated by Roy E. Disney who emphasized the superiority of animation and the studio over all facets of the company.

BrerJon

Well my sides just entered orbit: A blog created by an ex-"John Hammond Imagisaur" for a "Sea World/World of Color-esque" 10th anniversary spectacular pitch that ended up getting him fired from Jurassic World.
http://www.wowenough.com/new-blog/

The theme song demo is great.

OK, these people get it... they really get it. Amazing stuff.

I love the other show they talk about too : "Inside the Raptor's Studio: Starring Clawwed and Screammore". Hmm, wonder what that could be spoofing.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom