A Spirited Perfect Ten

Bairstow

Agree to disagree, I suppose. I expect much more from a trailer attached to a film two months prior to its release than from a YouTube clip put out nine months prior to its release.

Teaser:

Trailer:

The distinction between those is not arbitrary.

Sometimes the teaser/trailer distinction means something.
Sometimes it means nothing.
Studios can call anything they want a teaser.
Thus, the term is arbitrary.

stevehousse

The teasers for both The Good Dinosaur and Zootopia seem similar to me in how much they tell you about the story of the movie.

I get from the good dino trailer is that the dinos didnt become extinct, and the movie is most likely about the boy in the trailer and his friend which is a dinosaur, more than likely going on some kind of adventure.

what i get from the Zootopia trailer, is that its a movie with talking animals, like every other animated movie, and thats it. At least give some kind of of small detail about what you are showing me.

it just comes down to Disney not knowing how to market their animated features properly anymore. And if you are going to call your first trailer a teaser, well, you need to TEASE with something to get people interested, which is the reason teaser trailers exist in the first place.

now, think of this, when people leave the theater and are talking about the trailers they have seen for upcoming movies, which is going to be more memorable. The movie with dinosaurs not being extinct, or that other movie with talking animals that we know nothing about???

SYRIK2000

I get from the good dino trailer is that the dinos didnt become extinct, and the movie is most likely about the boy in the trailer and his friend which is a dinosaur, more than likely going on some kind of adventure.

what i get from the Zootopia trailer, is that its a movie with talking animals, like every other animated movie, and thats it. At least give some kind of of small detail about what you are showing me.

it just comes down to Disney not knowing how to market their animated features properly anymore. And if you are going to call your first trailer a teaser, well, you need to TEASE with something to get people interested, which is the reason teaser trailers exist in the first place.

now, think of this, when people leave the theater and are talking about the trailers they have seen for upcoming movies, which is going to be more memorable. The movie with dinosaurs not being extinct, or that other movie with talking animals that we know nothing about???

I don't understand why it matters if it's a trailer or teaser.

Look at all the conversation it's generating. It worked no matter what it is.

doctornick

In the Zootopia teaser, we get the hint that the Fox and the Rabbit characters are the main characters in the film (like the Dinosaur and boy are in The Good Dinosaur). We get an indication that they won't get along because Foxes and Rabbits are naturally enemies. We see that the animals retain some of their "skills" from the real animal world like good night vision or hearing.

Also, we some elements of the humor planned for the film between the way the dialogue is presented, the point with the pants being zipped up, and the donkey eating the dart.

Edit: I guess the point of the teaser is to indicate that the premise of Zootopia isn't like (Disney's) Robin Hood or Mickey's A Christmas Carol where animals are acting completely like humans but just look like animals. The premise is that animals have "evolved" to a human like state but retain many of their characteristics of the animal form. Maybe that's subtle, but it's a different angle for this type of film.

space42

I think the big difference is that for the most part (excepting us theme park geeks!) most millenials don't have much concept of, or loyalty to, Walt Disney, and what the Disney company was in the 80s and 90s. What they do have, however, is a love for the characters and movies of the last 25 years, and that will keep them coming, *not* the company culture or the Disney difference that attracted generations in the past.

In the past Disney movies were only so-so popular, but the parks were attractive because the rides were better, everything was maintained well, there was no litter on the streets etc... now Disney movies are super popular, and it's the lure of meeting characters and nostalgia for the films that will keep people bringing their kids, regardless of whether the in-park culture and small details that appealed to previous generations are still there or not.

Yeah, you may be onto something...

I don't give two poops (pastry or otherwise) about characters or animated films. Zero interest. Nada. Zilch. I have absolutely no nostalgia for them at all. They were never really a part of my life.

Yet, since the early 1970's, I've loved the parks. The rides, the lands, their design, their history...all of that.
Back then, characters and 'toons were not a major part of the experience. Sure, you might stumble on a character (Just recently found an old one of a 5yr old me and a Robin Hood, who even back then I knew was just a guy in a suit.) but it was a surprise, not a expectation. You might ride an attraction with a 'toon tie-in, but it was the exception, not the norm.

Much of my frustration with the current direction of the parks likely has to do with my rejection of the idea that everything has to promote the brand or sell a plush or rehash the plot of a movie I have no fondness for.

Keep your Frozen nonsense. I'll be over here riding Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion.

These two posts sum up where I'm coming from as well. Growing up in South Florida in the 70s/80s - my connection to the Walt Disney company is primarily from going to Walt Disney World several times per year from opening through 2009 or so. @Lee - I too have a picture of a 5 year old me and Robin Hood - how funny! The characters were never a draw for me. It was 20,000 Leagues, Pirates, Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, etc - all original, one of a kind, Disney Park creations. THIS is what I came to Disney for. It was never a vacation destination for my family (usually just weekend excursions)- even though we ALWAYS stayed at Ft. Wilderness. Vacation was a family road trip to a National Park or visiting relatives up north.

I believe that is why it's sometimes hard to see where some of y'all are coming from. You could fall in love with Walt Disney World in the 70's - 90's without being a fan of the Disney brand. Their theme park content was enough.

BrerJon

Edit: I guess the point of the teaser is to indicate that the premise of Zootopia isn't like (Disney's) Robin Hood or Mickey's A Christmas Carol where animals are acting completely like humans but just look like animals. The premise is that animals have "evolved" to a human like state but retain many of their characteristics of the animal form. Maybe that's subtle, but it's a different angle for this type of film.

Seems to me like a Madagascar knock-off, and a cynical attempt to make a Dreamworks film and capitalise on that studio dropping the ball somewhat. Let me guess, the talking animals go on a road trip and along the way discover the true meaning of friendship.

Travel Junkie

Came across this article that while about movies, can also be translated to theme park discussion as well. The following quote below:

“Turn off your brain” is less of a defense of a movie than admission of incredibly low standards for entertainment. Why ask so little from something you paid to watch? It’s odd that in an age where people complain so ferociously that movies are so much worse now than they used to be, that some of those same people would turn around and defend those same inferior products with the excuse “Eh, it’s fine as long as you don’t think for even a moment about anything passing in front of your eyes.” When that’s all you require from Hollywood, why is it shocking when they churn out nothing but garbage?

Much the same can be said from those who defend much of the content being churned out Disney as of late and in particular the defense of the dumbing down of Epcot over the last several years.

One more quote:

We should demand more from films. Instead of asking viewers to turn their brains off, how about we ask the people who make these things to turn their brains on?

full article below.

http://screencrush.com/turn-your-brain-off/

Bairstow

Seems to me like a Madagascar knock-off, and a cynical attempt to make a Dreamworks film and capitalise on that studio dropping the ball somewhat. Let me guess, the talking animals go on a road trip and along the way discover the true meaning of friendship.

More like:

Shaman

Came across this article that while about movies, can also be translated to theme park discussion as well. The following quote below:

“Turn off your brain” is less of a defense of a movie than admission of incredibly low standards for entertainment. Why ask so little from something you paid to watch? It’s odd that in an age where people complain so ferociously that movies are so much worse now than they used to be, that some of those same people would turn around and defend those same inferior products with the excuse “Eh, it’s fine as long as you don’t think for even a moment about anything passing in front of your eyes.” When that’s all you require from Hollywood, why is it shocking when they churn out nothing but garbage?

Much the same can be said from those who defend much of the content being churned out Disney as of late and in particular the defense of the dumbing down of Epcot over the last several years.

One more quote:

We should demand more from films. Instead of asking viewers to turn their brains off, how about we ask the people who make these things to turn their brains on?

full article below.

http://screencrush.com/turn-your-brain-off/

I agree. It's harder to translate the noble idea into something tangible that makes a company rich though. And say what you will about the strategy, in has ensured the success of the company that needs $$ to run the parks.

The concept of entertainment has evolved over the years...much more stuff can be done and achieved and learned from home these days than when Walt was thinking up his project for Florida. The expectations are different than back in the 60s and 70s.

I think more can be done at Epcot, that achieves all goals. Forgotten buildings and attractions dont achieve much.

Disneyhead'71

These two posts sum up where I'm coming from as well. Growing up in South Florida in the 70s/80s - my connection to the Walt Disney company is primarily from going to Walt Disney World several times per year from opening through 2009 or so. @Lee - I too have a picture of a 5 year old me and Robin Hood - how funny! The characters were never a draw for me. It was 20,000 Leagues, Pirates, Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Country Bears, etc - all original, one of a kind, Disney Park creations. THIS is what I came to Disney for. It was never a vacation destination for my family (usually just weekend excursions)- even though we ALWAYS stayed at Ft. Wilderness. Vacation was a family road trip to a National Park or visiting relatives up north.

I believe that is why it's sometimes hard to see where some of y'all are coming from. You could fall in love with Walt Disney World in the 70's - 90's without being a fan of the Disney brand. Their theme park content was enough.
Same here. I am not a fan of pretty much anything Disney except the parks. I have ZERO interest in meeting characters. And the whole wallowing in the BRAND that exists in the parks today is less than unappealing to me.

I'm there to immersed in a theme park. Not to be immersed in The Disney Brand.

Animaniac93-98

I'm there to immersed in a theme park. Not to be immersed in The Disney Brand.

Except when judged from a "brand immersion" standpoint, the parks disappoint the most. Think about how lame the attractions based on such movies as Aladdin, Lilo and Stitch, Monsters Inc and others turned out. The best Disney movie tie-in attraction on property is the Song of the South ride. :facepalm:

It's actually in Disney best interest NOT to sell the parks as "characters, characters, characters". At least so long as they keep looking for the cheapest way out to implement them (see: Frozen).

AEfx

The awful Nahtazu ad campaign was still running when left Orlando, which was '05, so that was much longer than shortly after it opened.

Yes, they were still at least playing it in the rooms as of 2005 when I first started staying at Pop (before it became a mess like the other values).

The Tuna

Yes, they were still at least playing it in the rooms as of 2005 when I first started staying at Pop (before it became a mess like the other values).
My last stay at POP was terrible. it felt like they hadn't cleaned it in the year since I had been there. I had stayed there 4 trips in a row so it was a bit of a let down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom