A Spirited Perfect Ten

alphac2005

The Nahtazu campaign dropped shortly after the park opened. The reason was not necessarily to say "Hey, we are not a zoo!"
Part of the reason why Nahtazu was launched was to try to re-educate the public that you DO NOT have to see the animals in the morning without telling them that. They figured by focusing on other non-animal aspects of the park through marketing it would undo the "animals-in-the-morning" word of mouth campaign.

Sure, there were plans for a marketing push but Nahtazu was not necessarily the original plan.

The awful Nahtazu ad campaign was still running when left Orlando, which was '05, so that was much longer than shortly after it opened.

alphac2005

"dropped" = started

The ad campaign "dropped" meaning it began running shortly after the opening.

Yes, I misread and since I've dealt with my company's in-house advertising, I know your context. Sometimes there are too many statements and terms on here that are too industry specific, if you know what I mean. The campaign began in XYZ is better for most, rather than dropped.

SJN1279

I love going to Disney, I love taking my kids to Disney. I have a new little girl to take to BBB in 2018 when she turns 3.

But Disney has gone down hill. Take Hollywood Studios. Why would you shut down attractions, even mediocre attractions so long before you are ready to begin construction on new attractions.

And they should also used phased approach don't shut the whole park down(yes exaggeration but it feels that way) with the promise of better things to come especially without releasing any news of what's coming.

Anyone who says that DHS has gone downhill, didn't go to MGM Studios in 1989 when the park first opened. The park was atrocious with only two rides, and no thrills at all. Now DHS does needs work, but it was lacking attractions from day 1.

Funmeister

Yes, I misread and since I've dealt with my company's in-house advertising, I know your context. Sometimes there are too many statements and terms on here that are too industry specific, if you know what I mean. The campaign began in XYZ is better for most, rather than dropped.

I gotcha. Well, for those who are not familiar with the term here is an article that makes reference to get a better idea of the context.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...or-genisys-super-bowl-commercial-drops-early/

NO. THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO START TALKING ABOUT TERMINATOR!

Shaman

Fair? No. Sorry, this has never happened to me or my immediate family. Now that I think about it I do nto remember hearing anyone really complaining about it. I am not saying it generally does not happen but when dealing with peoples money no one deserves a "free pass" because of a technical glitch. You are a multi-billion company (Disney or the banks or both).....FIX IT!

I agree, people's money is important. Financial Institutions have a responsibility to make sure account errors are avoided. But errors happen because of the imperfect humans administering the systems for these transactions.

The article said they are depositing the funds back into accounts and reimbursing any fees associated with the matter. It is being fixed. Now. If people want (and are actively pushing for) more, i.e. a free WDW vacation, as result of this error. Good luck with that.

The Tuna

and yet your posts seem rather judgmental....just sayin'
And yet I clearly stated a few times i am not judging anyone, asking a question isn't judging people. who am I to judge anyone here or anywhere? I stated what I would do and have done and wondered why people didn't do the same. from some great replies I realized that people still get some enjoyment out of it and haven't reached the point where it has become not worth it to them.

Why people take offence to me asking a question and then thanking them for their answer is beyond me.

Chicagoshannon2

Anyone who says that DHS has gone downhill, didn't go to MGM Studios in 1989 when the park first opened. The park was atrocious with only two rides, and no thrills at all. Now DHS does needs work, but it was lacking attractions from day 1.
Those two "rides" were fantastic though. The great Movie Ride and the Studios tour. The tour took half a day. It started at the animation building and took you through the most recent backstage tour including Catatrophe Canyon and residential street. I believe there was also Superstar television and the sound effects show. They also had actors stopping in to add their hand/footprints to the Theater. I know we were there when Howie Mandel added his.

Lee

Adventurer
I think the big difference is that for the most part (excepting us theme park geeks!) most millenials don't have much concept of, or loyalty to, Walt Disney, and what the Disney company was in the 80s and 90s. What they do have, however, is a love for the characters and movies of the last 25 years, and that will keep them coming, *not* the company culture or the Disney difference that attracted generations in the past.

In the past Disney movies were only so-so popular, but the parks were attractive because the rides were better, everything was maintained well, there was no litter on the streets etc... now Disney movies are super popular, and it's the lure of meeting characters and nostalgia for the films that will keep people bringing their kids, regardless of whether the in-park culture and small details that appealed to previous generations are still there or not.
Yeah, you may be onto something...

I don't give two poops (pastry or otherwise) about characters or animated films. Zero interest. Nada. Zilch. I have absolutely no nostalgia for them at all. They were never really a part of my life.

Yet, since the early 1970's, I've loved the parks. The rides, the lands, their design, their history...all of that.
Back then, characters and 'toons were not a major part of the experience. Sure, you might stumble on a character (Just recently found an old one of a 5yr old me and a Robin Hood, who even back then I knew was just a guy in a suit.) but it was a surprise, not a expectation. You might ride an attraction with a 'toon tie-in, but it was the exception, not the norm.

Much of my frustration with the current direction of the parks likely has to do with my rejection of the idea that everything has to promote the brand or sell a plush or rehash the plot of a movie I have no fondness for.

Keep your Frozen nonsense. I'll be over here riding Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion.

Funmeister

Those two "rides" were fantastic though. The great Movie Ride and the Studios tour. The tour took half a day. It started at the animation building and took you through the most recent backstage tour including Catatrophe Canyon and residential street. I believe there was also Superstar television and the sound effects show. They also had actors stopping in to add their hand/footprints to the Theater. I know we were there when Howie Mandel added his.

Not to mention it was also less than half the price of what it costs today. The "Star of the Day" program was pretty cool.

ToInfinityAndBeyond

I don't give two poops (pastry or otherwise) about characters or animated films. Zero interest. Nada. Zilch. I have absolutely no nostalgia for them at all. They were never really a part of my life.

Yet, since the early 1970's, I've loved the parks. The rides, the lands, their design, their history...all of that.
Back then, characters and 'toons were not a major part of the experience. Sure, you might stumble on a character (Just recently found an old one of a 5yr old me and a Robin Hood, who even back then I knew was just a guy in a suit.) but it was a surprise, not a expectation. You might ride an attraction with a 'toon tie-in, but it was the exception, not the norm.

Much of my frustration with the current direction of the parks likely has to do with my rejection of the idea that everything has to promote the brand or sell a plush or rehash the plot of a movie I have no fondness for.

Keep your Frozen nonsense. I'll be over here riding Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion.

As a millennial myself, I can confirm that many of us are more character-centric in our love for Disney. Just look at Buzzfeed. Every day there's another Disney article, including characters. Now there are a few of us, including myself, who share a love for the parks, the attractions, Epcot (as it was in the late 80s and early 90s), etc.

But I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't drink the Kool-Aid 25 years ago. I am a fan of where Disney is going right now (like many people my age). This is likely the biggest reason why WDW is in the state it is in right now. Many people who are my age do not remember or even KNOW the parks as they were. They went once as a kid and come back now as young adults, maybe with their own kids, and the nostalgia alone is enough to make it magical.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

This is the same feeling I have in my gut. I wish they would realize something like EPCOT is a valuable property just like a movie. And its not like just having a movie tie-in always works anyway. The Seas with Nemo and Friends had very minimal long term impact on Seas attendance after the newness wore off. But, back to the theme park being its own intellectual thing. Some tie ins work and some don't just like in a movie. Also, some of the most popular things (especially in the WDW setting) are either completely organic (made for the theme park out of whole cloth) or popular in spite of the tie in's lack of popularity (i.e. Mountain, Splash). Further, you can sell Nemo stuff at the Living Seas even without a clamshell ride taking us through an amazing and original narrative wherein Nemo is lost. I should note that Turtle Talk works because it fits in with the pavilion. It would work even if Finding Nemo had never been made (though I'd always wonder why they decided to have a turtle speak in that way).

baymenxpac

bingo. this push for "synergy" across all elements of the brand (with cartoon overlays and regimented meet-and-greets, etc.) really cuts out the soul of the parks.

SYRIK2000

This is the same feeling I have in my gut. I wish they would realize something like EPCOT is a valuable property just like a movie. And its not like just having a movie tie-in always works anyway. The Seas with Nemo and Friends had very minimal long term impact on Seas attendance after the newness wore off. But, back to the theme park being its own intellectual thing. Some tie ins work and some don't just like in a movie. Also, some of the most popular things (especially in the WDW setting) are either completely organic (made for the theme park out of whole cloth) or popular in spite of the tie in's lack of popularity (i.e. Mountain, Splash). Further, you can sell Nemo stuff at the Living Seas even without a clamshell ride taking us through an amazing and original narrative wherein Nemo is lost. I should note that Turtle Talk works because it fits in with the pavilion. It would work even if Finding Nemo had never been made (though I'd always wonder why they decided to have a turtle speak in that way).

I don't mind them using IP to promote attractions especially since it looks like the path they are going down to replace the corporate sponsorship.

They just need to do it well, They definitely have the talent for it.

And of course more often.

And a little news once in a while wouldn't hurt either.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
bingo. this push for "synergy" across all elements of the brand (with cartoon overlays and regimented meet-and-greets, etc.) really cuts out the soul of the parks.

I don't mind them using IP to promote attractions especially since it looks like the path they are going down to replace the corporate sponsorship.

They just need to do it well, They definitely have the talent for it.

And of course more often.

And a little news once in a while wouldn't hurt either.

You're both correct. Tie ins are great if well done. Forcing them into every intellectual nook and cranny in the theme park setting can indeed degrade the feel and narrative of a theme park.

The Tuna

That old tour and superstar Television were a ton of fun. watching them drawing future movies, being on TV, catastrophe canyon, Great Movie Ride. I was there in 1989 and it was a ton of fun.

Sadly the tour went to hell over time, but hopefully they re purpose the land into something truly great. It will become the premier park around town if Star Wars is done right.

SYRIK2000

That old tour and superstar Television were a ton of fun. watching them drawing future movies, being on TV, catastrophe canyon, Great Movie Ride. I was there in 1989 and it was a ton of fun.

Sadly the tour went to hell over time, but hopefully they re purpose the land into something truly great. It will become the premier park around town if Star Wars is done right.

Agreed

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I agree. But if your account gets wiped after a double charge of $305 (dude from Vegas in the article) then the last thing you should be spending money on is a Disney vacation.

The timing of all this is a bit suspicious as well. This is most likely human error, not "glitches", but it makes me wonder...I.T. Layoffs...on then off...axes to grind?

DVA is really managed by Chase just like the "Disney" Visa and debit cards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom