A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Facebook has been unable to evolve past it's childish roots, and tends to drag the discourse of otherwise reasonable people down to the level of teenagers. We've allowed a play area designed for college kids to coordinate party plans to become the defining medium of communication for most of humanity. I find the whole platform dehumanizing, and only keep the app on my phone because it's basically impossible to delete your profile, so I might as well keep track of what's happening on it to protect myself from the exact kinds of issues that have been brought up in this thread.

I've never run the app but I've got my profile locked down with individual user lists for everything. Once again for the same reasons as you state above.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
That's interesting. I've been involved with recruiting and hiring for a while now and have never asked a candidate for info on their Facebook page. We use a 3rd party to do background checks so I'm not sure if they look at Facebook or not. This may be me being ignorant, but can't you make your page private? If so would it even be legal for a company to request you to make the info available? We aren't allowed to ask a candidate personal questions that are not job relevant like are they married, do they have kids, gay or straight, really anything that could be considered possibly used for discrimination. If it's a smaller company (less than 25 employees) they aren't covered under Federal law so a lot more would be allowed.

I don't really feel like I'm resisting. It just has no appeal to me.

One of the more insidious 'background checks' these days is HR asking for an applicant's facebook password, Considering I've been in tech longer than I care to remember 'sharing' your password has always been a firing offense and now for HR to ask for you to VOLUNTARILY turn over a password just boggles the imagination.

DisneyGigi

I have not read this whole thread, but left today and I got scanned and had to go through metal detecters 6 times without a bag. My husband, carrying camera bag had to 8. Not a big deal and did not care to do it, at all, but it is definitely beefed up. To be fair, it just takes minutes to do, but I was very surprised how many times we were randomly selected for light packing guests.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The level of decorum on even the most contentious threads here far surpass what can typically be encountered on Facebook. The problem with Facebook, in my opinion, isn't the format, but it's increasingly ubiquitous nature. Not having a Facebook, even a poorly maintained one, can make you a luddite and a pariah.

You're right, social media is disposible. This forum is disposible. But Facebook wants to be inextricably embedded into your life. And that is dangerous.

Facebook NEVER deletes ANYTHING even when YOU do and the API allows access to the deleted data. It's all in their terms and conditions so they are not 'hiding' anything.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
One of the more insidious 'background checks' these days is HR asking for an applicant's facebook password, Considering I've been in tech longer than I care to remember 'sharing' your password has always been a firing offense and now for HR to ask for you to VOLUNTARILY turn over a password just boggles the imagination.
It's not even legal in a lot of states and where it is the employer is just leaving themselves open for a federal lawsuit for discrimination. If anything on that Facebook page shows a person is part of a protected class and they aren't hired they could potentially sue over it. It may be hard to prove, but why open that can of worms and face potential bad PR from the lawsuit. It seems like a foolish risk for a corporation. If it's a small business not covered by employment laws then it's less of a risk.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It's not even legal in a lot of states and where it is the employer is just leaving themselves open for a federal lawsuit for discrimination. If anything on that Facebook page shows a person is part of a protected class and they aren't hired they could potentially sue over it. It may be hard to prove, but why open that can of worms and face potential bad PR from the lawsuit. It seems like a foolish risk for a corporation. If it's a small business not covered by employment laws then it's less of a risk.

It's mindbogglingly stupid because as an account owner what reason do I have to trust that the person I have given access to does not have an axe to grind with me and it leaves the account holder usually in breach of the AUP of the site and if they do anything bad it's the account owner's fault for granting them access.

ParentsOf4

I agree with you. However, I've seen some tweets and comments defending the cuts, with people trotting out the old "Disney is a business" line.
Walt Disney once said, "When I started on Disneyland, my wife used to say, 'But why do you want to build an amusement park? They're so dirty.' I told her that was just the point — mine wouldn't be."

Walt Disney took out a mortgage on his house and reportedly went $100K into personal debt to help pay for Disneyland, at a time when median household income was under $5K.

You know what?

Disney was a business in 1955 when Disneyland opened to rave reviews and financial glory.

Wanting to honor his brother's vision, the 73 year-old Roy O. Disney postponed his retirement for 5 years in order to oversee the construction of Walt Disney World, which opened in October 1971. Roy died 2 months later.

Disney was a business in 1971 when operating margin was actually higher than what it's averaged under Bob Iger.

Struggling to find a direction for the company, Card Walker reportedly invested $1.5 billion in Epcot at a time when the entire company's annual revenue was $1.0 billion.

Disney was a business in 1982 when this bold investment grew company revenue by 60% in 2 years.

With Disney's film industry in tatters, Roy E. Disney fronted the effort to bring in Michael Eisner, who not only managed to turn Disney into a film juggernaut but also built Disney-MGM Studios, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, Disney's Animal Kingdom, more than a dozen hotels, shopping districts, and a sports complex.

Disney was a business in the 1980s and 1990s when Eisner created The Walt Disney Company megacorporation and built the modern Walt Disney World.

In recent years, the Disney "business" under Bob Iger has made quality cut after quality cut, price hike on top of price hike, and project delay after project delay, turning Walt Disney World into a shell of its former glory. This in a decade that has seen company revenue grow by a paltry 5.1% annually under Iger.

No one had to explain away bad corporate behavior for Disney's first 50 years in the theme park industry, yet for some reason the "Disney is a business" crowd thinks it's OK to trot out this tired cliché every time the Disney "business" does something to bring Walt Disney World down.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's mindbogglingly stupid because as an account owner what reason do I have to trust that the person I have given access to does not have an axe to grind with me and it leaves the account holder usually in breach of the AUP of the site and if they do anything bad it's the account owner's fault for granting them access.
I've never been asked for it, but if I went on an interview and was asked for my Facebook password I'd cross that job off my list. No way I'd want to work for a company that would ask for that.

Mike S

Walt Disney once said, "When I started on Disneyland, my wife used to say, 'But why do you want to build an amusement park? They're so dirty.' I told her that was just the point — mine wouldn't be."

Walt Disney took out a mortgage on his house and reportedly went $100K into personal debt to help pay for Disneyland.

You know what?

Disney was a business in 1955 when Disneyland opened to rave reviews and financial glory.

Wanting to honor his brother's vision, the 73 year-old Roy O. Disney postponed his retirement for 5 years in order to oversee the construction of Walt Disney World, which opened in October 1971. Roy died 2 months later.

Disney was a business in 1971, when operating margin was actually higher than what it's averaged under Bob Iger.

Struggling to find a direction for the company, Card Walker reportedly invested $1.5 billion in Epcot at a time when the entire company's revenue was $1.0 billion.

Disney was a business in 1982, when this bold investment grew company revenue by 60% in 2 years.

With Disney's film industry in tatters, Roy E. Disney fronted the effort to bring in Michael Eisner, who not only managed to turn Disney into a film juggernaut but also built Disney-MGM Studios, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, Disney's Animal Kingdom, more than a dozen hotels, shopping districts, and a sports complex.

Disney was a business in the 1980s and 1990s, when Eisner created The Walt Disney Company megacorporation and built the modern Walt Disney World.

In recent years, the Disney "business" under Bob Iger has made quality cut after quality cut, price hike on top of price hike, and project delay after project delay, turning Walt Disney World into a shelf of its former glory. This in a decade that has seen company revenue grow by a paltry 5.1% annually under Iger.

No one had to explain away bad corporate behavior for Disney's first 50 years in the theme park industry, yet for some reason the "Disney is a business" crowd thinks it's OK to trot out this tired cliché every time the Disney "business" does something to bring Walt Disney World down.
And yet some people will continue to stick their fingers in their ears and belt out Hakuna Matata.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Walt Disney took out a mortgage on his house and reportedly went $100K into personal debt to help pay for Disneyland.

You know what?

Disney was a business in 1971, when operating margin was actually higher than what it's averaged under Bob Iger.

Struggling to find a direction for the company, Card Walker reportedly invested $1.5 billion in Epcot at a time when the entire company's revenue was $1.0 billion.

Disney was a business in 1982, when this bold investment grew company revenue by 60% in 2 years.

Disney was a business in the 1980s and 1990s, when Eisner created The Walt Disney Company megacorporation and built the modern Walt Disney World.

In recent years, the Disney "business" under Bob Iger has made quality cut after quality cut, price hike on top of price hike, and project delay after project delay, turning Walt Disney World into a shelf of its former glory. This in a decade that has seen company revenue grow by a paltry 5.1% annually under Iger.

Don't forget Michael Eisner also gave us DVC and DCL starting with the 'Big Red Boat' and the Disney Institute (the old one which taught the creative arts) not the Iger'ized remnant which gives seminars on a type of customer service which no longer exists at Disney.

Mike S

Don't forget Michael Eisner also gave us DVC and DCL starting with the 'Big Red Boat' and the Disney Institute (the old one which taught the creative arts) not the Iger'ized remnant which gives seminars on a type of customer service which no longer exists at Disney.
The major focus on IP based attractions also didn't start until Iger took over. Eisner still gave us Expedition Everest before leaving.

DisKid

Ehh... It's been charge to your room only for many many years. You never use credit cards or cash while on the boat. Only to pay your room balance at the end or while off boat in ports. And every room has their account setup for onboard charges. It's only a matter of who they enable with charging rights.

This post is either really confused, or completely borked

I know this is off topic but I think you need to go on another Disney Cruise and find out. I understand about the charge to the room account but you CAN charge to a different credit card in the stores now (or at least you can when the system is working correctly) and we were able to do it on our October cruise and did so. At least we were able to on the Dream and should have been able to last week before they messed with the system in Port Canaveral before we left. We were purchasing stuff for a close family member that got a card in our name just to use on the cruise and we asked the cast member manning the register if we could use the card there or if we had to charge to our room and they said we could use the other card but they were having a lot of trouble with the system and then they told us about the update to the system and the problems they were having.

FigmentForver96

You know what?

I am speechless, that was beautiful

SpaceMountain75

You know what?

If there was ever a post that deserved a slow clap, it's this one.

Figments Friend

Struggling to find a direction for the company, Card Walker reportedly invested $1.5 billion in EPCOT Center at a time when the entire company's revenue was $1.0 billion.

Disney was a business in 1982 when this bold investment grew company revenue by 60% in 2 years.

THIS.
So much.

Many today have forgotten, or are just not aware of the REAL risks the Company used to take both creatively and financially.
Such risks today are unheard of.
A shame, as history has shown that many incredible successes came out of such things.
EPCOT Center is just such an example.

If you can name all three of these gents below, you probably know your history.
If you do not, invest some time in learning.
Time well invested.

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom