A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

tirian

I wish multiple fan sites would re-quote this.

Walt Disney once said, "When I started on Disneyland, my wife used to say, 'But why do you want to build an amusement park? They're so dirty.' I told her that was just the point — mine wouldn't be."

Walt Disney took out a mortgage on his house and reportedly went $100K into personal debt to help pay for Disneyland.

You know what?

Disney was a business in 1955 when Disneyland opened to rave reviews and financial glory.

Wanting to honor his brother's vision, the 73 year-old Roy O. Disney postponed his retirement for 5 years in order to oversee the construction of Walt Disney World, which opened in October 1971. Roy died 2 months later.

Disney was a business in 1971 when operating margin was actually higher than what it's averaged under Bob Iger.

Struggling to find a direction for the company, Card Walker reportedly invested $1.5 billion in Epcot at a time when the entire company's revenue was $1.0 billion.

Disney was a business in 1982 when this bold investment grew company revenue by 60% in 2 years.

With Disney's film industry in tatters, Roy E. Disney fronted the effort to bring in Michael Eisner, who not only managed to turn Disney into a film juggernaut but also built Disney-MGM Studios, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, Disney's Animal Kingdom, more than a dozen hotels, shopping districts, and a sports complex.

Disney was a business in the 1980s and 1990s when Eisner created The Walt Disney Company megacorporation and built the modern Walt Disney World.

In recent years, the Disney "business" under Bob Iger has made quality cut after quality cut, price hike on top of price hike, and project delay after project delay, turning Walt Disney World into a shell of its former glory. This in a decade that has seen company revenue grow by a paltry 5.1% annually under Iger.

No one had to explain away bad corporate behavior for Disney's first 50 years in the theme park industry, yet for some reason the "Disney is a business" crowd thinks it's OK to trot out this tired cliché every time the Disney "business" does something to bring Walt Disney World down.

MerlinTheGoat

Fantastic post as usual ParentsOf4!

Disney is on the stock exchange, i'm pretty sure we all realize they're a business. It's just a nonsensical statement that those perpetuating it actually think is some sort of valid argument for foolish and self-destructive business practices.

A more intelligent thing worth pondering- What is Disney a business OF? Some might feel this is not worth talking about and can be easily answered with general fields Disney is involved in like movies, TV, theme parks or even the more overarching field of "entertainment". Not exactly, these are just fields Disney has been involved in. It's the deeper core business Disney is in that explains WHY they became successful in these fields. A business that goes far beyond "entertainment".

Disney is a business of quality. At least they used to be, quality is the foundation they built themselves on and it has always followed them into their successful ventures into different fields (be it film, theme parks etc). Quality of art and workmanship in their creations, and even quality of polish and cleanliness. They would not exist in the form they do today without it. And a lack of consistent quality has set them back from being a much bigger and more impressive company during the past couple of decades.

Systematically chiseling away at the quality that Disney is (or was) built upon and world renowned for results in severe consequences. Quality is their foundation, and we all known what eventually happens to any building (especially a massive one) with a rotting and gutted foundation.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

That Disney artist that drew a Totoro ride decided to do a ride layout for my favorite Miyazaki movie.

tumblr_o78zweOqy31rk5dgco1_1280.jpg

Cesar R M

And I use photoshop professionally as an integral element of my work process in retouching photos (many that I took) . . . I see stuff like this all the time -- usually you screen out the photo and don't post it if the framing isn't effective like this, but it is merely bad framing. You don't patch things over with a white brush because you don't like them on any level of photography, amateur or professional . . . but especially not professional.

Anyone have another photo of one of these rooms that shows all the furnishings? I bet you anything there are some high-backed white or off-white chairs in there. Looks like a light-colored round table in the lower right corner as well.
could also be something getting way too strong lights from up close.
Kinda when you have a very wide lens and your flash bounces on the closest things.
They look almost white. Still.. I swear these rounded patches do not look like your normal bokeh phenomenon. Unless it was a very particular lens that created those different than normal white splotches.

Cesar R M

I don't disagree with you, but there are a lot of people who are justifiably upset about the destruction of the firewall between our private and public lives. Everyone has a picture they regret having taken, and now we live in a world where that one photo can be used to burn down your entire life. It's a big change in social dynamics, and many people are having a hard time adjusting to it.
Its kinda worse now, when you can have trolls that dedicate their 24/7 lives just to ensure your life keeps down lol (by following you around on every site and always reminding everyone of your gaffes or mistakes).

I can assure you, you are mistaken
Could be a third party store that "rented" space in a ship? I dunno how things work usually on cruises.

I was not even talking about stupidity a bunch of school boards have fired teachers on vacation wearing swimwear purchased at mass market retailers and were fired for 'immodesty' because a bunch of intolerant aholes think that women should only visit the beach in Victorian era swim dresses or burkinis
Agree, nowadays people think they have control over others lifes.. its insane.
Or getting people fired for something they did in their homes/vacations.

I'm particularly baffled at those job companies that demand you give them your facebook or twitter passwords. Like they somehow deserve to own your entire digital life.

Cesar R M

It would be ridiculous to mix your personal and professional lives but even if you dont? You're going to be scrutinized to death nonetheless. Best not to have it in order to cover your self.

Either that or you're going to have to be anonymous.... because anyone can hide behind a screen name and be an ***.
Or just keep both accounts separate.. aka have a professional page.. and a personal family account.

Cesar R M

I'm not a giant fan of the app. I saw something where they use the microphone to listen to what music youre listening to in order to promote targeting advertising. Or they were planning on it... either way, I deleted the app....
Not to mention their invasive chat app. Why the hell cant I have the web version? I do not want the darn app running 24/7 and technically having full access to all my cell phone.

The level of decorum on even the most contentious threads here far surpass what can typically be encountered on Facebook. The problem with Facebook, in my opinion, isn't the format, but it's increasingly ubiquitous nature. Not having a Facebook, even a poorly maintained one, can make you a luddite and a pariah.

You're right, social media is disposible. This forum is disposible. But Facebook wants to be inextricably embedded into your life. And that is dangerous.
unfortunately, others sites are trying to push the same envelope.
See how inexplicably tangled facebook is and how everyone wants to try their approach.
I mean...it now works as a "login" for many websites. Sites you might be sharing your open door to everything you have and most people do not even know, same with twitter now.

Well, that makes me want to delete my account.
Why Dave? You have some special technique to shave your armpits that you refuse to share?
because dermatologists will hate you? ;)

Cesar R M

If you get the chance to reply to this, I'd love to hear this expanded upon. I found WDW's "busy-ness" situation really odd when I visited (early May) - certain attractions had medium-to-high posted wait times and yet there weren't any queues for the buses even at what should have been peak closing times. Animal Kingdom was even more strange in that it was posting 60 minute waits for attractions which were more like 20 minutes, which I've never seen before anywhere else - and made me question the other lines I didn't join based on posted wait times. FastPass+ was entirely unneeded at Epcot in the absence of Froarin'.

Another question: why does Disney station CMs at the FP+ entry scans for attractions that (at that time) really don't require FastPass? At Epcot, that's [at least] 7 CMs who could have been doing more useful things, rather than standing around doing nothing - almost double that if you include additional CMs at the merge points.
I've seen the same on Epcot, these kind of groups should be more helpful in MagicKingdom.
Where the FP kiosks and areas are always full.

And isnt it kinda quiet for them (at epcot) because Soarin is still down? (I mean, its the most sought FP...)

As for the weird wait times. Could be thanks to budget cuts? Aka the post times and "speed" of the attractions have slowed down efficiency wise, yet there are not that many visitors to cause such peaks?

Cesar R M

Walt Disney once said, "When I started on Disneyland, my wife used to say, 'But why do you want to build an amusement park? They're so dirty.' I told her that was just the point — mine wouldn't be."

Walt Disney took out a mortgage on his house and reportedly went $100K into personal debt to help pay for Disneyland, at a time when median household income was under $5K.

You know what?

Disney was a business in 1955 when Disneyland opened to rave reviews and financial glory.

Wanting to honor his brother's vision, the 73 year-old Roy O. Disney postponed his retirement for 5 years in order to oversee the construction of Walt Disney World, which opened in October 1971. Roy died 2 months later.

Disney was a business in 1971 when operating margin was actually higher than what it's averaged under Bob Iger.

Struggling to find a direction for the company, Card Walker reportedly invested $1.5 billion in Epcot at a time when the entire company's annual revenue was $1.0 billion.

Disney was a business in 1982 when this bold investment grew company revenue by 60% in 2 years.

With Disney's film industry in tatters, Roy E. Disney fronted the effort to bring in Michael Eisner, who not only managed to turn Disney into a film juggernaut but also built Disney-MGM Studios, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, Disney's Animal Kingdom, more than a dozen hotels, shopping districts, and a sports complex.

Disney was a business in the 1980s and 1990s when Eisner created The Walt Disney Company megacorporation and built the modern Walt Disney World.

In recent years, the Disney "business" under Bob Iger has made quality cut after quality cut, price hike on top of price hike, and project delay after project delay, turning Walt Disney World into a shell of its former glory. This in a decade that has seen company revenue grow by a paltry 5.1% annually under Iger.

No one had to explain away bad corporate behavior for Disney's first 50 years in the theme park industry, yet for some reason the "Disney is a business" crowd thinks it's OK to trot out this tired cliché every time the Disney "business" does something to bring Walt Disney World down.
Pretty sure the degradation has not been exclusive to Disney.
Many companies and groups that used to build to impress, to advance the technology to their max. Were replaced by accountants who only care about pure profit and how much they can squeeze the minimum so they can retire rich.
There was entire decades where companies just plain refused to advanced and preferred to reduce costs by sending jobs elsewhere.. destroying their own company foundation and their locals. Creating a chain of events that culminated in companies going bankrupt and entire towns decimated by loss of jobs.

I hope we have a resurgence.
For example, We have now 2 titans trying to get to space privately. Certain companies pushing for technology that was considered impossible and too expensive for entertainment. (virtual reality in PC, Playstation, etc..)

Also, yikes! sorry for the wall of posts today!

Mike S

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Ugh.... deserves so much more than a peter pan clone. This is why Miyazaki will never give Disney rights. I'm so fearful that he will attempt to make one for Spirited Away.
These Miyzaki rides remind me of that artist at Disney Animation who insists on doing this horrible Star Wars-Calvin and Hobbes mashup "lil kylo". Completely misses the point of Miyzaki's stories by shoehorning them into Fantasyland plot regurgitation rides. If Miya San's work inspires you, dig deeper.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ha! Our six year old kept asking me why water wasn't coming out of the faucets at the bathrooms at the MK. I guess $112 a ticket couldn't keep the water running....

Diznee is a Bizness and water costs money a single working faucet will suffice as people will simply have to wait for their turn at the faucet,

Coming Next month MyFaucet+ you can sign up 180 days in advance for your allocation of 30 seconds of water and soap and towels.

betty rose

Walt Disney took out a mortgage on his house and reportedly went $100K into personal debt to help pay for Disneyland, at a time when median household income was under $5K.

You know what?

Struggling to find a direction for the company, Card Walker reportedly invested $1.5 billion in Epcot at a time when the entire company's annual revenue was $1.0 billion.

I couldn't have said this better.

skyphotographer

You know what?

There are two ways for an established business to make money. They can grow the business, or they can cut expenses.
One is sustainable, one is not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom