A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

lazyboy97o

I genuinely love Marty, but the best park that Disney has ever done?!? Spreading the PR on a bit thick for free trip.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-719240-shanghai-park.html
Marty has long since proved he has no design sense and/or will say whatever Disney wants. On the whole the park is a mess. It is the epitome of trying to string together disparate franchises.

I agree. China has such amazing modern architecture that this looks ... well, a lot like some airports over there. Some fanbois seem wowed by Tron, but everyone I know who has experienced it or knows its development history thinks it is mediocre at best. The other lands look so deep and detailed and textured and this one ...well, it doesn't.
All of the detail in the world doesn't make up for poor spatial organization.

Filby61

http://themeparkuniversity.com/disney/shanghai-disneyland-prepares-grand-opening/

Honestly shocked Bob's name is on the dedication plaque. Also, that dedication is not Zenia's finest work.

Sad.

Sad to imagine what could have been said, when one thinks of all the themes that the first Disneyland was founded on. The aspirations and ideals of individuals and nations. The hard facts of a world in need of mutual understanding. The melding of technology and artistry in the service of entertainment and education. The sweet dreams of childhood. The hope for a better future for all people.

Just... sad.

Cesar R M

Yall are the most stubborn bunch I've ever "met". Can you please knock it with the Disney vs Universal? It got old in Spirit's 2nd thread, a million years ago.

It's amazing how many people are getting zapped into Ignoreastan over this nonsense.
Well, people still talk politics like conservatives vs liberals, sports like soccer vs handegg, even food.. theme parks in a theme park forum is just logical.

Cesar R M

Good news, bad news......

Good news? That giant fire along I-Drive today was nothing to worry about, it was in a construction yard.

Bad News? Slide parts for Volcano Bay were stored there.
38mNjhZ.jpg

aka company sabotage!!! :O

Cesar R M

I'm surprised that No-one has mentioned this on here, not even @WDW1974 due to some the rumors sounding familiar to what he stated in the past.

Universal Studios Hollywood has been giving PR's out to various media sites stating that they have a major announcement coming along the way on June 21st (Same day as the Frozen Ever After Opening) that'd bring up USH and its Citywalk portion at 7:30 AM PST on that day.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201606/5109/

For those keeping watch, a similar thing in particular happened in 2011 to when Universal Studios Hollywood announced that they'd be bringing Hogwarts to Los Angeles.
Dreamworks and Nintendo land anyone?

whylightbulb

I spent about 3 hours at SDL and caught a ride on Pirates, Tron and Grotto. Pirates is absolutely the new gold standard for theme park attractions worldwide. The ride length, use of ride technology, elaborate scenic, the most realistic and seamless integration of projection technology in use anywhere, the sound track, the lighting, and the transitions are masterfully orchestrated to produce a fantastic, immersive experience unlike any ride anywhere to date. For those that are bringing up the fact that screens are being used liberally here as an argument that Disney is “just as bad as universal,” trust me when I say that you have never before seen Universal or Disney use projection so judiciously and prudently to create a fantasy environment. Even to my trained eye there were times when I unknowingly suspended disbelief to not “see” where the screens started and the practical sets ended.

I have ridden Kong and it isn’t even in the same league as Pirates when it comes to the use of projection, and Disney didn’t even need to use 3D to deliver its masterpiece.

Tron was a fun coaster but really didn’t add as much as it could have in terms of groundbreaking ride experiences. Grotto was a nice relaxing ride but nothing to write home about. The interior portion was nicely done but just a small part of the overall ride.

Nmoody1

Just spending the evening at disneytown. BOATHOUSE is a different concept here - quick service sea food. Pleasantly surprised by the merchandise quality - grand opening mickey ears are flying off the shelf! Had a walk to the Disneyland hotel but it's closed for a private event... Bob wouldn't let me in!

Just finished a meal at cheesecake factory. Service is great, food on par with US (but very limited dessert menu) and no free refills.

English with CM'S has been fantastic and way above what I expected!

Also found out phase 2 Imagineers start projects in October, but more to come before that... which we know!

Mike S

I spent about 3 hours at SDL and caught a ride on Pirates, Tron and Grotto. Pirates is absolutely the new gold standard for theme park attractions worldwide. The ride length, use of ride technology, elaborate scenic, the most realistic and seamless integration of projection technology in use anywhere, the sound track, the lighting, and the transitions are masterfully orchestrated to produce a fantastic, immersive experience unlike any ride anywhere to date. For those that are bringing up the fact that screens are being used liberally here as an argument that Disney is “just as bad as universal,” trust me when I say that you have never before seen Universal or Disney use projection so judiciously and prudently to create a fantasy environment. Even to my trained eye there were times when I unknowingly suspended disbelief to not “see” where the screens started and the practical sets ended.

I have ridden Kong and it isn’t even in the same league as Pirates when it comes to the use of projection, and Disney didn’t even need to use 3D to deliver its masterpiece.

Tron was a fun coaster but really didn’t add as much as it could have in terms of groundbreaking ride experiences. Grotto was a nice relaxing ride but nothing to write home about. The interior portion was nicely done but just a small part of the overall ride.
Oh I totally agree. My only argument is that screens aren't inherently evil as proven by Pirates.

the.dreamfinder

Just spending the evening at disneytown. BOATHOUSE is a different concept here - quick service sea food. Pleasantly surprised by the merchandise quality - grand opening mickey ears are flying off the shelf! Had a walk to the Disneyland hotel but it's closed for a private event... Bob wouldn't let me in!

Just finished a meal at cheesecake factory. Service is great, food on par with US (but very limited dessert menu) and no free refills.

English with CM'S has been fantastic and way above what I expected!

Also found out phase 2 Imagineers start projects in October, but more to come before that... which we know!
Just out of curiosity, did you take the metro to the resort? If so, how long would you say it took you to get from the station to DisneyTown?

baymenxpac

You are fast. I logged on here to drop this ... that story is actually largely written by Barboza because it is long (Brooks can't go long) and it is quite fair and balanced.

In other words, TWDC isn't likely over the moon about this.

But considering they are getting heat in state media and then there's the Orlando terror attack (with more signs pointing to Disney being the first target) ... I don't think they'll complain much.

i've worked with barboza in the past. very fair, and VERY thorough. an excellent reporter. not surprised he did a balanced job on this. just goes to show why real reporters should work on this stuff more, and you can't leave the important stuff to "brand advocates."

the.dreamfinder

i've worked with barboza in the past. very fair, and VERY thorough. an excellent reporter. not surprised he did a balanced job on this. just goes to show why real reporters should work on this stuff more, and you can't leave the important stuff to "brand advocates."
I know it's played down, but getting Bob to admit he sacrificed a Chinese Disney channel for SDR is a big deal. If this park has trouble, Wall St will be down his throat on this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom