A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Shanghai Disneyland Phase 2: What we know
  • Alice in Wonderland E-Ticket based on the 2009 live-action Tim Burton film for Fantasyland
  • Clone of Expedition Everest for Adventureland (new subland?)
  • Marvel E-Ticket using the ride platform for DCA's proposed Captain America E-Ticket in Tomorrowland
Have I missed anything?
(And no, the $800 million won't be paying for Phase 2)

No that will be NEW money and graft payments over and above that already expended.

lazyboy97o

Shanghai Disneyland Phase 2: What we know
  • Alice in Wonderland E-Ticket based on the 2009 live-action Tim Burton film for Fantasyland
  • Clone of Expedition Everest for Adventureland (new subland?)
  • Marvel E-Ticket using the ride platform for DCA's proposed Captain America E-Ticket in Tomorrowland
Have I missed anything?
(And no, the $800 million won't be paying for Phase 2)
The master plan had Expedition Everest in the northeast corner of the park between Fantasyland and Treasure Cove.

AEfx

Well we do have Avatar coming and it's been said that the boat ride could be like that but on a much smaller scale. I also remember @marni1971 saying to expect the Star Wars Battle Attraction to use very similar tech just without water. For both companies it seems that screens are the future. They just have to do it really well.

I for one wouldn't mind some screen additions - additions - to our Pirates.

The drop and the first battle scene would be so epic if they did. Just the backgrounds, mind you. Perhaps even different night/day modes.

OK, I'm dreaming there LOL - but I do expect some of the screen tech to make it to other older versions of Pirates - and I think it would be really neat.

Mike S

I for one wouldn't mind some screen additions - additions - to our Pirates.

The drop and the first battle scene would be so epic if they did. Just the backgrounds, mind you. Perhaps even different night/day modes.

OK, I'm dreaming there LOL - but I do expect some of the screen tech to make it to other older versions of Pirates - and I think it would be really neat.
I know the projected backgrounds in Pirates are classic effects like the storm and sky but they could be done so much better now. I mean, did you see that underwater ceiling projection?!?! Holy crap. I remember their little experiment with the Mermaids in WDW too.
Wanna bet if it does make it, the Yeti is a screen throughout?
200w.gif

WDW1974

Original Poster

Nickels5

Well we do have Avatar coming and it's been said that the boat ride could be like that but on a much smaller scale. I also remember @marni1971 saying to expect the Star Wars Battle Attraction to use very similar tech just without water. For both companies it seems that screens are the future. They just have to do it really well.
It definitely seems that ride, I just hope screens don't become the main focus, I like screens to be used as a tool to enhance the ride, I don't want them to be the main focus themselves.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Marty has long since proved he has no design sense and/or will say whatever Disney wants. On the whole the park is a mess. It is the epitome of trying to string together disparate franchises.

Oh, Marty has design sense. He just forgets it when another opinion is needed. ... as to the park, that is upsetting because that was a big concern going in. The park's menu reflects Bob Iger's IP collection. One would have hoped it would work based on quality, but I'm guessing you are less than impressed?

All of the detail in the world doesn't make up for poor spatial organization.

I have read a lot of criticisms in this department. I think ... think ... they are hoping that the empty spaces when filled in will make a more cohesive whole. But it does look ugly and barren in many places. As a friend reminded me, there are plenty of open spaces at DLP (and all those expansion pads at EPCOT that will never be used for that matter), yet they are landscaped and hidden away so they don't provide visual intrusion.

How did they think seeing Disneytown from Tomorrowland was a good design choice?

WDW1974

Original Poster

Nickels5

I don't necessarily disagree or agree since I haven't ridden it. Have you?

And, BTW, I have UNIversal Fatigue because all of their attractions are starting to feel the same and they need to address that.
No I have not rode Kong yet, that will be happening in September. Like you said I feel Universal is becoming the same ride over and over but just with a different theme and track. I hope I am wrong about Kong, I know no matter what I will enjoy the ride.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I spent about 3 hours at SDL and caught a ride on Pirates, Tron and Grotto. Pirates is absolutely the new gold standard for theme park attractions worldwide. The ride length, use of ride technology, elaborate scenic, the most realistic and seamless integration of projection technology in use anywhere, the sound track, the lighting, and the transitions are masterfully orchestrated to produce a fantastic, immersive experience unlike any ride anywhere to date. For those that are bringing up the fact that screens are being used liberally here as an argument that Disney is “just as bad as universal,” trust me when I say that you have never before seen Universal or Disney use projection so judiciously and prudently to create a fantasy environment. Even to my trained eye there were times when I unknowingly suspended disbelief to not “see” where the screens started and the practical sets ended.

I have ridden Kong and it isn’t even in the same league as Pirates when it comes to the use of projection, and Disney didn’t even need to use 3D to deliver its masterpiece.

Tron was a fun coaster but really didn’t add as much as it could have in terms of groundbreaking ride experiences. Grotto was a nice relaxing ride but nothing to write home about. The interior portion was nicely done but just a small part of the overall ride.

Nice to see you alive and in these parts again, DimBulb! :D

You are affirming everything I have heard on the SDL attractions and Kong. Any deeper thoughts on Shanghai? (I know three hours isn't much, but you do have a trained eye!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just spending the evening at disneytown. BOATHOUSE is a different concept here - quick service sea food. Pleasantly surprised by the merchandise quality - grand opening mickey ears are flying off the shelf! Had a walk to the Disneyland hotel but it's closed for a private event... Bob wouldn't let me in!

Just finished a meal at cheesecake factory. Service is great, food on par with US (but very limited dessert menu) and no free refills.

English with CM'S has been fantastic and way above what I expected!

Also found out phase 2 Imagineers start projects in October, but more to come before that... which we know!

Interesting. And you are not the first to complain about lack of refills at CF. I am having a brain freeze and trying to recall whether they are available at FSR at HKDL. I think they are ...

Yes, Phase II is actually under way now, but funding turns on at start of FY'17.

WDW1974

Original Poster
i've worked with barboza in the past. very fair, and VERY thorough. an excellent reporter. not surprised he did a balanced job on this. just goes to show why real reporters should work on this stuff more, and you can't leave the important stuff to "brand advocates."

Oh yeah. He is a real reporter. I wonder if Brooks curled up in a ball in his room at one of Disney's hotels when the story hit because he is going to take heat for it. And David doesn't care. He doesn't take marching orders from Burbank.

lazyboy97o

Oh, Marty has design sense. He just forgets it when another opinion is needed. ... as to the park, that is upsetting because that was a big concern going in. The park's menu reflects Bob Iger's IP collection. One would have hoped it would work based on quality, but I'm guessing you are less than impressed?

I have read a lot of criticisms in this department. I think ... think ... they are hoping that the empty spaces when filled in will make a more cohesive whole. But it does look ugly and barren in many places. As a friend reminded me, there are plenty of open spaces at DLP (and all those expansion pads at EPCOT that will never be used for that matter), yet they are landscaped and hidden away so they don't provide visual intrusion.

How did they think seeing Disneytown from Tomorrowland was a good design choice?
I was asked to elaborate more on similar comments by @egg in the thread I started and I will write up a more detailed explanation in the next couple of days when my schedule calms down. I don't think the park's spatial organization can be easily fixed because it is a very different design philosophy at play.

Mike S

It definitely seems that ride, I just hope screens don't become the main focus, I like screens to be used as a tool to enhance the ride, I don't want them to be the main focus themselves.
I don't think they'll be the main focus for the Na'vi River Journey and Star Wars Battle ride but it sounds like they'll definitely be there in abundance. Flight of Passage and the Millenium Falcon will be totally screen based from the looks of it. They both still sound great though and I really can't wait to ride either of them.
No I have not rode Kong yet, that will be happening in September. Like you said I feel Universal is becoming the same ride over and over but just with a different theme and track. I hope I am wrong about Kong, I know no matter what I will enjoy the ride.
This is where I guess I'm different. To me Spider-Man, Simpsons, Forbidden Journey, Gringotts, and from the looks of it King Kong all offer something different from each other. The "samey" rides are when you get to Despicable Me (even though that ride building and system were there before BTTF, which Simpsons replaced), Transformers (I still like this one though), and soon Fast & Furious (ugh). Jimmy Fallon I don't really know and don't care much about right now. Avatar is my big thing for 2017. Let me also say that Shrek just flat out sucks and should've been removed ages ago, lol. Give us that rumored Secret Life of Pets dark ride for Universal Hollywood in that spot. That ones supposed to be physical btw and the walls are up in the area it's supposed to go in. Can't say much on Terminator since I haven't seen it in years.

Last edited:

shortstop

If the company hadn't screwed itself by prematurely announcing an unrealistic opening date, is there any chance they would've waited longer to open the park in order to either flesh out its attraction menu a little more or just to otherwise touch up the park before opening?

lazyboy97o

If the company hadn't screwed itself by prematurely announcing an unrealistic opening date, is there any chance they would've waited longer to open the park in order to either flesh out its attraction menu a little more or just to otherwise touch up the park before opening?
The park is already opening a year late and I do not think anything is missing from the master plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom