A Spirited Dirty Dozen ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I usually take joy in Bob Iger's pain, but I can't this week for very obvious reasons.

I do wonder what is going on in his head when Zenia pulls him aside with news of everything that is going on back home ...and he couldn't even show much humanity (if he has it in him) because everything has to be all smiles for the Chinese leadership.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I forsee Attendance taking a hit. With this and the Christina Grimmie murder happening within 28 hours of each other, Orlando doesnt give the impression of being that safe anymore.

Summer was looking to be down as is. I can see people doing last minute cancellations for June and July and I can picture the parks being dead by late July. I just don't think Kong or Mako are driving vacations anymore than Disney's paltry new offerings.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Adventure Isle and Treasure Cove look really solid aesthetically IMO. I'm not really impressed with the pics I've seen of Tomorrowland as far as aesthetics go (Tron included) but that's how I feel about the DL and MK versions of the land. Perhaps it will look better in person.

Have you figured out when you'll make it over there? I remember you said you were likely waiting a bit but I wasn't sure how long. Either way, I dig the reporting so far.

Things are up in the air, but seriously hope to do it this fall (likely around Halloween or just prior). I won't do winter, so if I can't do fall then it will be spring ...maybe Toy Story Land will be open by then!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Listen universal fanboy, the ride was greatly overhyped by many mostly yourself. I understand pride is getting the way and you can't admit the ride was nowhere near what you hoped and now you are sitting there convincing yourself it's still a good ride. Do you honestly believe that ride moves the needle at all? It's a 4 min ride going from screen to screen with horrible transitions with one animatronic at the end which left me wanting a lot more.

I don't necessarily disagree or agree since I haven't ridden it. Have you?

And, BTW, I have UNIversal Fatigue because all of their attractions are starting to feel the same and they need to address that.

the.dreamfinder

Looks like Iger's dedication of Shanghai will start out just like Walt's of Disneyland

https://twitter.com/daykota/status/742935575565590528
http://themeparkuniversity.com/disney/shanghai-disneyland-prepares-grand-opening/
TO ALL WHO COME TO THIS HAPPY PLACE, WELCOME!

SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND IS YOUR LAND.

HERE YOU LEAVE TODAY AND DISCOVER IMAGINATIVE WORLDS OF FANTASY, ROMANCE, AND ADVENTURE THAT WILL IGNITE THE MAGICAL DREAMS WITHIN ALL OF US.

SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND IS AUTHENTICALLY DISNEY AND DISTINCTLY CHINESE. IT WAS CREATED FOR EVERYONE. BRINGING TO LIFE TIMELESS CHARACTERS AND STORIES IN A MAGICAL PLACE THAT WILL BE A SOURCE OF JOY, INSPIRATION AND MEMORIES FOR GENERATIONS TO COME.

ROBERT A. IGER

CHAIRMAN AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY

DEDICATED JUNE 16, 2016
Honestly shocked Bob's name is on the dedication plaque. Also, that dedication is not Zenia's finest work.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm surprised that No-one has mentioned this on here, not even @WDW1974 due to some the rumors sounding familiar to what he stated in the past.

Universal Studios Hollywood has been giving PR's out to various media sites stating that they have a major announcement coming along the way on June 21st (Same day as the Frozen Ever After Opening) that'd bring up USH and its Citywalk portion at 7:30 AM PST on that day.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201606/5109/

For those keeping watch, a similar thing in particular happened in 2011 to when Universal Studios Hollywood announced that they'd be bringing Hogwarts to Los Angeles.

There are 'plans' for more Potter and hotel ... I am not sure which will be announced then. I doubt that Hollywood gives a blank about EPCOT's new/old Frozen boat ride.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Marty has seen a lot. I would expect that maybe emotions can have an impact on perception. Attributing it to a free trip is somewhat disrespectful given his credentials but that's just my opinion.

I'm an equal-opportunity disser here. My personal feelings are just that. Marty sold his soul to stay at Disney an extra decade (all at a seven figure salary). His opinions on what Walt would have liked or what was right for the company swung drastically that decade.

WDW1974

Original Poster
But don't you know? Shanghai Tomorrowland is pretty much Todayland. Imagineers decided that Shanghai was so futuristic that they shouldn't even bother making Tomorrowland into a city of the future, but just a venue for any remotely science fiction character to decide to set up shop because of how gosh-darn futuristic Shanghai is. That's literally all the "backstory" they gave this Tomorrowland.

Weakest land in the entire park in my book.

I agree. China has such amazing modern architecture that this looks ... well, a lot like some airports over there. Some fanbois seem wowed by Tron, but everyone I know who has experienced it or knows its development history thinks it is mediocre at best. The other lands look so deep and detailed and textured and this one ...well, it doesn't.

FigmentJedi

Remember when Marty Sklar raved about DCA in 2001 and how much Walt would have loved it?

Good times

Yes, he did it to me personally ... and you just knew he was ... full of (blank).

I think SDL came out largely quite lovely. It just isn't EPCOT Center nor DLP nor TDS ...

Just like how Stan Lee pretty much supports any move Marvel makes, including HYDRA Cap

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom