A Sad Sad Day At Epcot

Poncho1973

Originally posted by chotasahib
(4) Have any of you beer-loving WDWers ever gone to a pub in Orlando called the Cricketer's Arms? Saw their website the other day. I plan to take a few "downtime" breaks there during our two-week vacation, because (a) they have Fullers London Pride and ESB, Boddington's, and Old Speckled Hen on tap, and (b) they'll be showing all of the Euro Champs '04 games in Portugal, woohooo! If you're a fan of the beautiful game, come join me there on 6/13 for England v. France (I think at 2:30ish pm).

And on the weekends they have "the phenomonial bada** of downtown" Jeff Howell play there...

Go, enjoy yourself. It's a good place to be!

speck76

Originally posted by JBSLJames
Sounds like a plan. Is his stuff condusive to 6 year old girls?

It depends on how free their minds are:D

He plays later at night, and is pretty good!

chotasahib

Originally posted by Poncho1973
And on the weekends they have "the phenomonial bada** of downtown" Jeff Howell play there...

Go, enjoy yourself. It's a good place to be!
Excellent, thanks for the tip. Wow, good music, good beer, good football, and all in the backyard of WDW. I may never go home...

lebernadin

Originally posted by mrtoad
I only saw it the one time and they definitly had a bar on the side. Being my wife and I were without kids at the time we were tempted. The thing that really stopped us was it was too hot for drinks.

It must have been shortlived, when we were there in (i think) the summers of 96 and 97 it was just music/dance once it stopped.

Here's the only picture of it on google:
http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/Junkanoo.htm

I have no problem with the sale of alcohol from carts/counter service in the various lands as well as during the F&W festival. Its a great marketing gig for imports since there's a good amount of people visiting WDW from areas that don't have local importers of various beers/wines.

People are going to drink, if they want to. If Disney banned the sale of alcohol they would lose a ton of money to all those Walgreens and liquor stores that surround WDW as people would just drink in their rooms. Alcohol is a part of most people's lives whether its alcoholics, people who drink a few times a month, or people who just like a glass of wine with dinner.

mrtoad

Originally posted by lebernadin
It must have been shortlived, when we were there in (i think) the summers of 96 and 97 it was just music/dance once it stopped.

Here's the only picture of it on google:
http://pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/Junkanoo.htm

I have no problem with the sale of alcohol from carts/counter service in the various lands as well as during the F&W festival. Its a great marketing gig for imports since there's a good amount of people visiting WDW from areas that don't have local importers of various beers/wines.

People are going to drink, if they want to. If Disney banned the sale of alcohol they would lose a ton of money to all those Walgreens and liquor stores that surround WDW as people would just drink in their rooms. Alcohol is a part of most people's lives whether its alcoholics, people who drink a few times a month, or people who just like a glass of wine with dinner.

I am not sure if that is the same bus that was altered or if it is a new one. The other bus I thought was red, but I am not positive. Where you see the windows on the side in this picture there was one large window behind the driver instead where the bar was.

It was either in 1993 or 1995.

gcurling

Not sure if it was posted, but you can still get the big beers in some sit down restaurants. Had a liter of Lowenbrau last Friday night.

The story on Becks is they dropped the sponsorship money and Lowenbrau quickly jumped in.

The story on Ringnes is that after Carlsberg Breweries bought out Orkla, they decided to stop exporting Ringnes to the US because so few locations were importing it (the Norway pavillion being one of only a handful.) So, they replaced it with Carlsberg - which is a product of Denmark, not Norway - so it's not even true to the pavillion.

awitkov

Hello,

My name is Alan and I'm new to these boards. I've been reading some of the messages the past few months. I've just got back from an 8 night vacation to WDW with my family. The trip was great. I want to comment and disagree with it being a sad day at Epcot. My family and I had dinner at Germany last Sunday. The Lowenbrau beer they are serving is imported from Munich Germany and it's fantastic. Much better than becks. They are also serving Spaten weissbeer and dark beer Dinkle Acker. I spoke with a couple of the german cast members and they are very happy about the change as the new beers reflect more of an authentic representation of good German beer. Thanks.

phlydude

Originally posted by awitkov
Hello,

The Lowenbrau beer they are serving is imported from Munich Germany and it's fantastic. Much better than becks. They are also serving Spaten weissbeer and dark beer Dinkle Acker.

Dinkle Acker and Spaten Weissbier ROCK!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :slurp: :slurp: :sohappy: :sohappy:

awitkov

I've had those also. Very good indeed. If you're a beer fan then plan a trip to Germany. I was there several years ago and drank so many good beers. Oktoberfest is the best.

phlydude

I would love to make a trip over to Germany to celebrate that. But for right now, Disney trips will have to do instead of Oktoberfest. (depending on your point of view could be a bad or a good thing)

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Real World

Originally posted by Sherm00
actually besides sit down resturants i wish they would stop selling all alchaol at the parks and stands. it's not a good example for the kids. alot of people drink then go get in therecars and drive, on or off property. I know I am probubly the minority but beer and alchaol should be at sit down resturants where it can be regulated better or out of the parks and into the clubs where you would expect it.

While your thought is well intentioned, it is that puritanical attitude that contributes to our drinking and smoking, ______ and drugs problems with the young. We spend so much time telling them no, that this is only for adults, that it becomes the major motivation for them.

Do any of the plethora of programs about saying NO do any good? Of course not.
The best thing we can do in the lost war on drugs is to legalize. It would immediately cut out all the middle men and the majority of crime committed by that sector. I don't in any way condone the use of drugs, but are they going to be used? Yes.

It's time to lighten up and accept that demon rum and other vices. Do we slow traffic by setting speed limits, have we done anything to stop drinking and driving? No

Besides, many at the park only need to take a monorail or bus home, so if you're gonna imbibe, this is the best place.

Sorry for the sermon...but I enjoy the food and wine festival, and I need my half of Guinness when I visit. And no, I don't crawl home.

awallaceunc

Well that's all well and good as your opinion, but WDW isn't a platform for societal revolution and youthful enlightenment.

-Aaron

lebernadin

Originally posted by awallaceunc
Well that's all well and good as your opinion, but WDW isn't a platform for societal revolution and youthful enlightenment.

-Aaron

But to make statements like that, they(WDW) would have to be installing something new into their operations, when alcohol has been sold in the parks for awhile now.

societal revolution? :confused:

WDW is indeed a platform for youthful, as well as adult enlightement, since the majority of domestic visitors don't have the time/money to go on vacations to the places they portray, or do the things they exemplify.

However, you're stuck on alcohol being sold in the parks as being, a major form of "youthful enlightenment" when its what each individual set of parents make of it vis-a-vis the raising of their children. If you set it on a pedestal of "youthful enlightenment" and add "no" and "don't" to it, bad things will happen.

In this day in age, alcohol permeates our society to the extent that to not make it available in the parks would bring attention to Disney. Disney wouldn't be able to operate all the restaurants they do, if it weren't for the alcohol.

awallaceunc

The operative phrase here is isn't. I'm not saying that forbidding alcohol is youthful enlightment. I'm not making a case either way. My post was a direct response to the post that came before mine, which argued that the sale of alcohol at Disney should accompany a major change in societal values when it comes to alcohol and American children. It's the old "in other countries, it's not a big deal, so it should be allowed here" argument. If you feel that, then fine, but Disney World isn't the place to settle that score. The majority of parents prefer alcohol and their children to be kept separate (and, btw, Walt felt that way too). I'm not necessarily saying to get rid of alcohol in WDW, but I am saying to not try to change parental attitudes towards it within the parks. I'm not setting it on that pedastal, the previous poster was. That was my point. I think you misread my post. :)

And it's a place for youthful entertainment, and maybe even education (mildly). ...But not the enlightment of parental or societal philosphies regarding youth. That was my point. :)

-Aaron

lebernadin

Alrighty...

Clemson was responding to Sherm who is in favor of more regulation of alcohol in WDW specifically. Clemson's comments about legalizing drugs and our current laws with re to drugs/alcohol/speed were in general and as far as i read, he didn't say, "no, instead of regulating alcohol more, WDW should sell it in even more locations and place alcohol menus at eye-level with kids."

He wasn't lobbying in favor of further opening up WDW's policies, which is the impression i gather you took from your response to him.

If he had, then i could see how you would take the opposite opinion, but he didn't. He was merely taking the realist perspective, as opposed to the isolationist perspective to such US laws.

If kids are being exposed to alcohol for the first time at WDW, then people SHOULD be very worried. They should be worried about those parents, and not about Disney's sale of alcohol which is in no way overboard compared to the rest of society. I would be very worried for a kid who has been isolated from discussions about alcohol and its effects, high school parties, and quite a bit of television which displays people who are drunk or on drugs all the time.

Just think about how many tragedies(suicides, overdoses, drinking, Columbine etc) could have been avoided, had parents taken a far more active role in the lives of their children.

Its not always the seller's fault, despite how much bad parenting is masked by such acusations.

Disclaimer: I've spoke in general terms, if you read this and feel i'm accusing you of being a bad parent, i'm not. I'm ranting on society as a whole.

awallaceunc

Well, I agree with most of what you say. I don't really think it's fair to call it an issue of realism versus isolationism, though. All I'm saying is that if it comes down to it, WDW shouldn't be expected to side with the notion that you label as realism. And, indeed, like you, I hope WDW is not the place where children are first exposed to alcohol.

-Aaron

Sherm00

boy this post got long. just FYI, I am not against alchaol at disney. you should have a good time. but I am saying just in the parks. the food and wine festival is a diffrent matter since it's advertised that way then the consumer would expect it. in resturants where it can be more regulated then it's ok. but in the outside stands and basic shops it shouldn't be.
The adults need there fun too, :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom