A Sad Sad Day At Epcot

mrtoad

I heard that the next country they were going to build was Amsterdam and they were going to have two hash bars installed...

Just trying to lighten things up a bit. :animwink:

speck76

Originally posted by mrtoad
I heard that the next country they were going to build was Amsterdam and they were going to have two hash bars installed...

Just trying to lighten things up a bit. :animwink:

It would have worked better had you said The Nederlands or Holland, since Amsterdam is a city and all.

mrtoad

Originally posted by speck76
It would have worked better had you said The Nederlands or Holland, since Amsterdam is a city and all.

Yeah, well and I guess I am not as funny as I think. :hammer:

speck76

Originally posted by mrtoad
Yeah, well and I guess I am not as funny as I think. :hammer:

I have that problem too sometimes.

What you need to do is think of something really funny, and then dumb it down a bit, and then post.:D

yensidtlaw1969

Originally posted by speck76
I have that problem too sometimes.

What you need to do is think of something really funny, and then dumb it down a bit, and then post.:D
God I gotta remember that.\

See, it works.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lookaroun

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Realism

Thanks for the summary lebernadin, I wasn't going to bother trying with things twisted as they were.

I am very happy that MK remains as it is (in Theme) and would be disappointed if it was even suggested that alcohol be introduced.

But our modern prohibitionists only make matters worse. To be embarrassed to drink in an acceptable public place for fear of ruining a childs life is absurd. It's as absurd as those that think the only way to have a good time is to be smashed.

I can't find where I encouraged underage drinking, or the changing of parental attitudes or societal philosphies as suggested by my friend from UNC.

When we invoke the sainted name of Walt, we forget that he had (and we still have) Club 33. And then we can really go down the rat-hole of smoking (a separate long winded thread).

awallaceunc

Re: Real World

If by "modern prohibitionist," you're referring to me, I'm not. It's not the 'what,' it's the 'who,' 'when,' and 'where.' :) But I'm not looking to discuss drinking alcohol in general. It's like the thread of Gay Days, in which I was only a spectator, and the mod stepped in and said to discuss Gay Days, not homosexuality in general. Likewise, I'm trying to stay on drinking in WDW alone, not drinking in society. That's what I was saying- your post was kind of on a tangent about societal values in regards to alcohol and drugs. So when I said "that's all well and good as your opinion," it's because WDW is the subject at hand. I never said that you directly encouraged underage drinking (though you did state that you don't think it should be so discouraged). But the majority of your post concerned the current attitude of society, and the changes that should be made (i.e. legalize, don't motivate with "No")...

Originally posted by ClemsonTigger
While your thought is well intentioned, it is that puritanical attitude that contributes to our drinking and smoking, ______ and drugs problems with the young. We spend so much time telling them no, that this is only for adults, that it becomes the major motivation for them.

Do any of the plethora of programs about saying NO do any good? Of course not.
The best thing we can do in the lost war on drugs is to legalize. It would immediately cut out all the middle men and the majority of crime committed by that sector. I don't in any way condone the use of drugs, but are they going to be used? Yes.

It's time to lighten up and accept that demon rum and other vices. Do we slow traffic by setting speed limits, have we done anything to stop drinking and driving? No

But my focus has been and continues to be to stay on topic. :)

-Aaron

JBSLJames

Let's throw out this hypothetical:

Dad and 6 year old child walk by a group that is drinking

Child - What are they drinking Dad.

Dad - That would be beer.

Child - What's beer?

Dad - an adult beverage

Child - Why do adults drink it?

*just then two of the adults fall down and spill their beer all over themselves*

Dad - Well, it's not to improve their balance. . .

Child - What do you mean?

Dad - It's a drink that, when taken in excess, can cause a person to act stupid and possibly harm themselves.

Child - So why do they drink it again?

Dad - *Shrugs shoulders*

To make a statement that if your children are not aware of alcohol makes you a bad parent is careless. There is an old saying, "Out of site, out of mind". I would rather not expose my children to alcohol, drugs, $ex, and violance until they reach an age where they can better understand the consequences of taking part in such activities.

JBSLJames

Originally posted by lebernadin
In this day in age, alcohol permeates our society to the extent that to not make it available in the parks would bring attention to Disney. Disney wouldn't be able to operate all the restaurants they do, if it weren't for the alcohol.

Not really connected here, but Chick-Fil-A, has traditionally been open only six days a week and is closed on Sunday. This was done to honor the Sabbath and the founder has made it that way since. It has been docuemented that, in most malls where a Chick-Fil-A operates, it does more business in the six days than any of the other places do in seven.

Does this make them stand out as a business, yes it does. One that goes against the societal flow and is still succesful.

Sorry for the interuption.

lebernadin

Originally posted by JBSLJames
Not really connected here, but Chick-Fil-A, has traditionally been open only six days a week and is closed on Sunday. This was done to honor the Sabbath and the founder has made it that way since. It has been docuemented that, in most malls where a Chick-Fil-A operates, it does more business in the six days than any of the other places do in seven.

Does this make them stand out as a business, yes it does. One that goes against the societal flow and is still succesful.

I'm very happy for their stockholders and sad for their patrons. But my point was referring to actual restaurants, not counters with a fryolator, microwave and drive-thru. Those aren't restaurants, regardless of how many Americans they serve and all the stats you can muster.

Brandon

BEER

I know exactly why they changed the cup sizes. $$$$$$$. What people were doing was buying there first beer at the 12 oz size. Then everyone or 2 people would then buy a 32oz beer at all the other pavilions to save money. Since beer in the keg is cheap Disney decided to just sell the expensive glasses. Also from what I hear they are upint the price by $1.50 for each draft beer. I guess it is because of the rising cost of fuel these days.

JBSLJames

I'm very happy for their stockholders and sad for their patrons. But my point was referring to actual restaurants, not counters with a fryolator, microwave and drive-thru. Those aren't restaurants, regardless of how many Americans they serve and all the stats you can muster.

Sorry, I did not mean to infer that this was in anyway attached to the alcohol topic. I was just saying that Chick-Fil-A does something out of line with Societal expections and is very succesful. A kind of response to the comment that if a restaurant refused to serve alcohol, it would not be succesful.

lebernadin

Sorry, I did not mean to infer that this was in anyway attached to the alcohol topic. I was just saying that Chick-Fil-A does something out of line with Societal expections and is very succesful. A kind of response to the comment that if a restaurant refused to serve alcohol, it would not be succesful.

But it is indeed related entirely to the alcohol topic since the only reason you're responding is to illustrate an example of what you feel is a restaurant that can do well w/o selling alcohol.

Chick-Fil-A, McDonalds, Wendys, Sonic etc...

These are not restaurants, they are counters and drive-up windows that serve food and provide you a place to sit and eat if you prefer to do so. I won't even get into the health of the foods served, but to be fair, its on par with the counter service that Disney has.

Try opening a single-location restaurant in any major city in the US w/o some form of alcohol license, whether its everything under the sun, just beer/wine etc.. and see how you fair vis-a-vis the other restaurants that DO have such licenses. There are plenty of municipalities around the country that have a law against the sale of alcohol(Rockport, MA comes to mind) but the restaurants that exist within them either don't last very many years or only open during the high tourist seasons. But even then many turn away when they find out they can't have their White Zin with their meal.

Most of the restaurants this country enjoys wouldn't exist if it weren't for alcohol.

I stand by my original point that a good number of Disney restaurants(fine dining, not Pecos Bills) would not exist, or would be closed if Disney were to retreat from the sale of alcohol.

JBSLJames

It would be interesting to see if that would happen. Since WDW is more Family Friendly, it may not have as much of an impact as you think.

Again to Chick-Fil-A - I was pointing out that they do not do the same as other similar places (open six days instead of 7) and are still very succesful. Apples and oranges, I know, but an example of one place 'b__________g the trend' and doing well.

awallaceunc

Try opening a single-location restaurant in any major city in the US w/o some form of alcohol license...

But we're not talking about restaurants in any major US city, we're talking about Disney-ownded restaurants inside the WDW Resort. Regardless of whether you think that makes a difference, that example isn't exactly applicable.

-Aaron

lebernadin

Originally posted by awallaceunc
But we're not talking about restaurants in any major US city, we're talking about Disney-ownded restaurants inside the WDW Resort. Regardless of whether you think that makes a difference, that example isn't exactly applicable.

-Aaron

:lol: and who was it that brought up Chick-Fil-A and took the discussion on a tangent outside of WDW? JBSLJames, not me. Check your facts.

I'm responding to his tangent, so i really don't understand how you can think you're providing an alternative view to mine, when, in actuality, you're supporting my point that a Chick-Fil-A example is irrelevant.

lebernadin

It would be interesting to see if that would happen. Since WDW is more Family Friendly, it may not have as much of an impact as you think.

It would indeed happen and does all the time. Do you think WDW is the only place where families dine together? Its no different from the rest of the country in terms of patronage to the fine dining establishments. Its on the backend, the stronger backbone of the WDC that provides the capital to open new restaurants where WDW fine dining has the advantage. But in patronage, we aren't talking about a bar or club, we're talking about restaurants that are able to stay afloat not always with a bar, but simply through alcohol sales at the tables. The last time i checked, restaurants that serve alcohol on this planet aren't NC-17 and mostly patronized by families.

Yes, Disney has character dining that only Chuck E Cheese and other similar chains around the country can compare to, but if you don't think Disney counts alcohol as a good portion of their F&B receipts and restaurants would be cut back if they were to dissappear then enjoy your fantasy.

Again to Chick-Fil-A - I was pointing out that they do not do the same as other similar places (open six days instead of 7) and are still very succesful. Apples and oranges, I know, but an example of one place 'b__________g the trend' and doing well.

All fast-food chains are successful and none that i know serve alcohol in the US. But then again i don't consider myself an expert on fast food and i'm sure there may be one or two fast food joints in this huge country that DO serve alcohol. I've seen the alcohol drivethru windows on package stores in FL and elsewhere so i guess anything's possible.

But as you admit, apples and oranges, fast food is a different world.

If we were debating counter service at and outside WDW then the Chick-Fil-A references would be more appropriate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom