A Quick Dose of Magic to Hold Me Over till December

Hi everyone, and welcome to my TR… For those of you who do not know me, my name is Reese. I am a single mother to a very handsome 8 year old son, Devon!!! He is the light in my life and I am so glad that he has the Disney bug like his mommy!!!
I figured I’d start with how this trip came about. You see I am surprising Devon with a trip to Disney in December as an “early Christmas gift” We are going December 3rd (my birthday) to December 11th. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and are traveling with Devon’s best friend and his mom! I plan to tell Devon about the trip on Thanksgiving day which is a week before we leave! Not sure how I am going to surprise him exactly yet, but who cares about that right now! Anyway, being that Devon doesn’t know about the Dec trip he has been asking since school let out what we are doing for vacation. And my response had been… “You know mommy is super busy at work b/c it is an election year, so we really only can do day trips on the weekend this summer.” Well, Devon seemed to be fine with that response, but as we got into the 2nd week of July, he says to be mom you know we haven’t done anything yet this summer, what are we going to do??? Ok, so at this point I really needed to start figuring out where the heck I was going to take this boy for a mini vacation… We live in Philadelphia, which is a little less then 2 hours from the Jersey Shore, so I figured I’d just take him there (we usually make a trip there once a summer)… Anyway, as I started pricing out places to stay, how much it was going to cost me on the boardwalk to ride rides and play games all weekend and feed us, it was going to cost me well over $1000!!! I just could not justify paying that much $$$ to go to the stinking shore for 3 days!!!
Well, at that point the wheels in my head started turning and I said to myself I bet I can do a long weekend in Disney for cheaper!!! I wanted to do this as cheap as possible since we are going in December, so I called Disney and asked them if I could use the same % off pin code that I used for my December trip if I wanted to do a room only reservation in August??? ( I only needed a room only b/c I planned to use our Give a Day Get a Day vouchers to get us into MK) They looked it up and said absolutely!!! So I asked if there was any availabilty at All Star Sports for August 12th to the 16th? The CM said there was so I asked her to hold the room for me that I just needed to get a few things in order. I immediately hung up the phone with her, priced the airfare out and called my friend who works at a TV station in Miami to see if he would be able to get us free passes to Universal. He said he could!!! Woo Hoo!!! At this point I called my brother Tim to see if he wanted to come with us! Every year we go to Disney he always wants to come, but b/c we have been going in the fall and winter the last few years, he hasn’t been able to join us with his college class schedule. I ran the details by him and told him how much it would cost him and he didn’t hesitate for a second!!! YES!!! Looks like we are going to Disney and Universal!!!! Oh and by the way, the whole trip did end up costing me less then it would have to go to the shore!!!
I booked the trip the 3rd week in July, told Devon all about it and I was told I was the BEST MOM IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!! Now all we had to do was wait a little less then a month and we would be on our way!!!

Departure Day!!! Thursday August 12th
Since I have to take off more then a week for our December trip, I decided that I would book a later flight to Orlando so I could work at least a ½ day today. Our flight was scheduled to depart Philly International at 7:10pm. Of course today is an overcast day with pop up showers expected all day!!! Just great!!! I dropped Devon off at the babysitter and headed to the train, I work in the city so I get to make my lovely commute by train everyday!!! By the time I got to the train station the skies opened up!!! Lovely!!! I can see the delays at the airport happen as we speak!!! As soon as I get in the office I jump on to PHL’s website to see what kind of delays there are already… There are a few but my flight seems to be right on schedule! YES!!!! By the time lunch time rolled around, it cleared up and I was about ready to jump out of my skin!!! All I wanted to do was go home and leave for vacation!!! Luckily, it was pretty busy for the rest of the afternoon and before I knew it it was time to leave!!! But before I go, let me just check one more time to see if my flight is still on time. It was!!! I say my good byes to my work family and run, for the train!!! Thanks to some texting back and forth with blacktheidiot my train ride was super quick! Even though I was about to beat the crap out of the chick sitting next to me b/c she was cracking and chewing her gum like a freaking cow!!! Anyway, back to the story… Picked Devon up from the babysitter, ran home to get changed, took out the trash, grabbed our bags and was out the door to pick my brother Tim up!!! Woo hoo!!! We live not even 10 minutes from the airport so we headed to my parent’s so my oldest brother John could drop us off at the airport. We put are bags in his car and we were off!!!
We arrived at the airport a few minutes after five, not bad considering I didn’t end up leaving work till 4pm!!! We said see you later to my brother and headed inside!! One thing I swore I would not do this trip was check bags since we were only going for 5 days. So, once we got into the airport, we headed straight to the security check point… While waiting in line, I glance up at the departure screen only to see that our flight is delayed till 11:47pm!!! WHAT!!! Are you kidding me??? It was on schedule not even an hour ago!!! At this point I am freaking out just a bit! WTH am I going to do in the airport with an 8 year old for all these hours??? UGH great start to the trip!!! But then…. As I am putting the baggage up to go thru the scanner thingy, a light bulb when off!!! The flight to Orlando that was scheduled to leave a few hours before our original departure time was also delayed and that flight was now leaving at 6:21p!!! That was in like 45 minutes!!! We grabbed our bags and ran thru the terminal to the gate that the 621p flight was leaving from… Out of breathe at this point, I compose myself and calmly, ok semi-calmly as the nice gentleman at the gate if there was anyway we could get on this flight instead?? He asked my how many people, I told him 3. He then asked if I had checked bags, to which I replied NO!!! He said, I was making his life very easy… He punched away at the keyboard and I prayed as he was doing this… Then he says… You’re in luck, I think I can make this happen for you!!! THANK YOU DEAR GOD!!! He tells me the only seats left were the last row in the plane… Fine by me!!! We handed over our boarding passes for our original flight and he handed us knew ones. At this point it was a little after 6 and we were going to start boarding in a few minutes… We hightailed it to McDonalds for some food and ate while we waited to board.

Here’s us waiting
002.JPG

003.JPG

Our Plane, which Devon thought was pretty cool!!!

001.JPG

Finally boarding!!!

004.JPG

Tim and Devon waiting to take off!!!

005.JPG

So, remember how I said we were suppose to take off at 6:21pm… Well, that did not happen… Air traffic was all backed up, so we pretty much sat on the tarmac in line to take off!!! We finally lifted off around 7:30p. Not to bad I guess, considering we could have still been sitting in the airport!!

The flight was pretty uneventful and before we knew it, the captain had come over the loud speaker to say that we were beginning our desent into Orlando!!! It was about 9:15p at this point.
We landed just about at 9:30p. Since we were in the last seat of the plane we were one of the last people off the plane, oh well gave me a minute to call my parents to let them know we arrived safely. We grabbed our bags and headed to the tram to take us over to the main airport so we could hop on the Magical Express!!!

Here is Devon and Tim on the tram at MCO
006.JPG

Devon said the cutest thing on the Tram ride.... He said “mom, doesn’t it feel good to be back at our second home” I just smiled and sais “Yes it does”!!!
Since we had our ME docs, we walked right up to the podium and were directed to the ME bus that would take us to All Star Sports. Once on the bus we waited probably 15-20 minutes for the bus to lad up and we were on our way with All Star Sports being the first stop. After a quick 20 minute ride we were were pulling thru the gates of the All Star Resort !!! Woo hoo!!! Collected our bags from under the bus, thanked the bus driver and walked into All Star Sports!!! We were finally there!!!
I proceeded to the online check in area and was helped right away.
Here’s Devon looking around while I checked us in!

007.JPG

Check in went smoothly, we were given a room in the basketball section, but I had requested to say in either the baseball or the football section, since they are Dev’s two favorite sports. I kindly asked the if we could be moved to one of those locations, she made a phone call and we were moved to the fooball section!!! YAY!!! We were on our way!!!

Here is where we would call home for the next few days!!!

010.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Continued in next post....

corey154

Love your trip report! Girl, I know what you mean about your hair, I feel ya...for that reason alone I go to the dollar store and buy some throw away ponchos to bring with me....of course in the summer the humidity is so bad my hair looks frizzy anyways...lol

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Loving all the pool pics! The palm trees all around are super nice! Too funny that Devon conked out after all the fun! :lol:

Thanks girl!!! I could lay by the pool all day with that scenery! It was like a blink of an eye, I turned around to tell him to get dressed and he was sound asleep! I'm glad he was able to get some shut eye, he was able to make it till after 1am at MK without get miserable!

Love your trip report! Girl, I know what you mean about your hair, I feel ya...for that reason alone I go to the dollar store and buy some throw away ponchos to bring with me....of course in the summer the humidity is so bad my hair looks frizzy anyways...lol

Thanks! I am definitely hitting up the $1 store for ponchos for anymore trips taken during the wet months!

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom

Hey there Ladies & Gents! So sorry for the delay in Disney Fun... Life sort of got in the way!!!

Let's not waste anymore time here... Last I left offer we were hopping on a bus back to the MK for EMH, but boy oh boy did it sure look like the heavens were about to open up on bus ride!!!

Yeah... We made to right about... Here.... before the rain came again!!!

081.JPG

Stupid Rain!!!

So this wasn't a little rain, like you could make a run for it... This was torrential rain that would have had you looking like you just jumped in a pool if you even attempted to step out in it!!! You know it was pretty bad, b/c even Tim suggested that we wait where we were until it slowed down!!!

So after about 20 minutes or so the rain finally let up some so we ran to the stores on Main Street for cover... We needed a change of scenery! LOL!!! The Emporium was PACKED!!! Guess everyone had the same idea we had. We looked around there and the rest of the shops on Main Street for 15 minutes or so and then I sent Tim to see if the rain had let up any more. Shockingly it did!!! YAY!!! First stop Space for some FP's to use later in the night!

While Tim grabbed the FP's, Devon and I walked into the store connected to Space b/c he thought he might want to buy something he had seen earlier in the day... But what did he just now realize was in here after 8 visits to Disney??? The darn ARCADE!!! IT was still a bit drizzly out, so I was ok letting him play here for a little!!!

I think Tim ended up like the Space Arcade more then Devon!!!

082.JPG

Upon exiting the Arcade the rain had let up completely!!! Thank the good lord up above!!!

If you remember from earlier in the day we had got FP's for Thunder Mt. before we left MK so our next stop was to the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness!!!!

We practically walked right on... This is one of Dev's favorite rides. I just love seeing the smile on his face as he is waiting in line for rides! It's moments like that that truly make my trip so magical!

At this point it was getting close to 8pm and MSEP was scheduled to start at 9. I wanted to sit and get a seat at this point but Tim and Devon did not! Surprise Surprise.... They won... We rode Pirates again and Devon asked if we could go see if Ariel and Prince Eric were out near Aloha Island. Of course I said yes, but unfortunately they were not. BUMMER!!!

Ever since I started coming to Disney, I have always watched the night parade in Frontierland, somewhere between Pecos Bills and Liberty Tree Tavern... That is where we are heading now, Only I noticed this on the off beaten path and there was only 1 family in line!!!

085.JPG

Devon was so excited to add their autographs to his collection... Of course we ran to get in line!!!

Now I have to say, I have seen many of princesses at Disney and this Tiana, may just had been out of the prettiest princesses I have seen in a while! Way to step it up Disney!!!

086.JPG

Tiana and Naveen played their parts great!!! Naveen was cracking us up!!!

088.JPG

It was in the pic above that Tiana had asked Devon what these Phillies were on this shirt, he explained baseball to her and all of a sudden Naveen had this loud noise and said this baseball you speak up would mess up my beautiful nails!!! See??? LOL!!! Tim and I almost died laughing! It was hilarious!!!

089.JPG

We said our goodbyes to the pretty princess and her silly beau and dashed to get a seat for MSEP. Luckily we were able to get front row seat right across and a little down from LTT. Perfect!!! We got settled a little before 9pm and Devon and Tim decided that they wanted Popcorn and a drink... Me being the best mommy and big sis ever goes and gets it for them while they save the seats...

Can I just tell you that I think I waited in line for popcorn longer then any ride that day!!! Holy Moley!!!! After a 1/2 of waiting I finally had my popcorn and drink in hand and made my way back to find the guys! At this point MSEP was starting in 5 minutes and the sides of the street were packed!!! All I kept thinking was if these 2 knuckle heads let people get in front of where we are sitting I will freak!!! Thank goodness they didn't!!! Within minutes of my arrival back to our viewing spot the lights dimmed and the music started!! I was so excited to see this new night time parade.

090.JPG

092.JPG

095.JPG

096.JPG

Continued in Next Post!!!

disneygirl1

Original Poster
097.JPG

100.JPG

102.JPG

103.JPG

104.JPG

109.JPG

111.JPG

112.JPG

I just loved how the Gems looked on this float!!! So cool!!!

115.JPG

Lost boys!!!

117.JPG

Continued in Next post! (Geese I took alot of Pics for MSEP!!)

disneygirl1

Original Poster
119.JPG

120.JPG

122.JPG

124.JPG

126.JPG

And there you have it... MSEP!!! Overall I really enjoyed the parade and it was nice to see a change, but my heart is still with Spectro!!! The music alone during Spectro causes me to tear up and MSEP just didn't have that same effect on me.

Anyway back to the report. As MSEP came to an end, our next destination was to the hub in front of Cindy's castle for Summer Nightastic!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Cinderella's castle as I was fighting the crowds making my way over the bridge trying to get to Main Street

128.JPG

Finally after some pushing and shoving to get as close to the front of the castle and possible we settled for this spot....

129.JPG

Not bad right??? I apologize now... Red hat man is pretty much in every castle shot. Sorry I'm a little on the short side!

131.JPG

132.JPG

Continues in next post...

disneygirl1

Original Poster
136.JPG

138.JPG

139.JPG

141.JPG

144.JPG

149.JPG

151.JPG

Well there you have it my multitude of pics from Summer Nightastic fireworks!!! So what did I think of them??? They were AWESOME!!! Some of the best fireworks I have seen in a while!!! I just loved how they had them exploding from every which way on the castle and all down Main Street!!! But.... They weren't Wishes!!! Again, the music alone chokes me up during Wishes and these fireworks didn't do it for me either! As soon as I hear "star light star bright..." I get the chills! Wish there was a way for Disney to incorporate Wishes' music and the pyrotechnics of Summer Nightastic... I'd me a very happy camper!

Anywho, back to nights festivities... Are goal was to make it across the hub to Tomorrowland to use our Space FP's... Mother of god, the mob of people trying to get out of the park was ridiculous!!! It literally almost took us 45 minutes to get to Space!!! At one point we lost Tim in the crowd so I texted him to say if we don't meet up before hand, go right to Space. Luckily once we hit the entrance to Tomorrowland the crowds thinned out and we finally found Tim!

Space was great as always!!! Even with a FP we waited a good 20 minutes in line, but no big deal... it was only 10:30pm and we had the park till 2am!!! Yay Boy!!!

After Space, we headed over to Stitches dance party!! Where we boogied on down for a little bit... Yes even my brother danced!!! Good time all around!!!

152.JPG

153.JPG

Rocking out to the YMCA

153.JPG

Continued in next post

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Once Stitches Dance Party was over, Devon said he wanted to ride Thunder Mountain again so we made our trek back over to Frontierland, but first we grabbed our FP's for Peter Pan!!! Time out to vent here... What is it about Peter Pan that there is always so ungodly wait time to ride this ride??? Don't get me wrong, I love this ride, but really at any given point of the day there is never less then a 45 minute wait time!!! Ok... back to the TR

Thunder Mt. had no wait at all... we hopped right on in our train and we were off!!!

155.JPG

At somepoint during the ride, Tim and Devon decided they were going to ride Splash again if there wasn't a long line... Well there wasn't the wait time posted was 15 minutes!!! I decided that I was going to sit this one one!!! My hair can only take so much!!! LOL!!! I told the guys I would be sitting on the bench ride outside the gift shop as you came of Splash. We went our separate ways... The boys got in line and I browsed the gift shops! About 5 minutes later I got a text from Tim saying they were already on the ride!!! I figured I better get to where we were meeting now so, I walked on over and plopped my rear end on the bench and waited... I had no idea how tired I was till I sat down! LOL... I took this opportunity to call home... Yes, it was late, but I knew my parents would be up b/c the Eagles preseason game was on! We chatted for a bit I told my mom all about what we did that night and she filled me in on the Eagles game. As we were talking Tim and Devon showed up and they each talked to my mom as we walked back over to Fantasyland to ride Peter Pan.

Devon being Silly again!

156.JPG

We arrived at Peter Pan, handed in our FP and walked right on to the ride. I love listening to "you can fly" as to go through this attraction!!!

After a quick flight with Peter we plotted our next adventure!!! Attempting to pull the sword out of the stone!!!

158.JPG

159.JPG

Shoot!!! No such luck!!! Maybe next time!!!

Oh, I took this picture too as Tim and Devon were trying to remove the sword!

157.JPG

I like it so much b/c of the castle in the background!

Tim and Devon wanted to check and see if Space had a long line so we hiked back to Tomorrowland!!!

Here are a few pics I took along the way

160.JPG

161.JPG

163.JPG

Wait time posted for Space was 55 minutes!!! No thank you!!! We had already rode numerous times that day and at this point I think we were all exhausted so we decided it was time to call it a night as it was well past midnight now!

Toward Main Street we walked....

165.JPG

166.JPG

Continued in next post

disneygirl1

Original Poster
169.JPG

170.JPG

Yes we were tired, but no trip to MK is complete without a hot dog from Casey's!!! So we grabbed some grub for our journey to the bus stop!

Surprisingly, there was no one in line at all at the All Star Sports stop... I was bracing myself for mass chaos, boy was I happy I was wrong! Then again it was only 1am at this point and MK was open for another hour, so I just we missed it!

A bus pulled up almost immediately after we got to the stop. We waited a few minutes for some more people to get on and we were off! Of course Devon fell asleep on the bus and we had to wake him once we finally got to Sports. Tim offered to carry him, but he was a trooper and walked all the way back to the room... We all changed into our jammies and were fast asleep dreaming of our next fun filled day at Disney within minutes!!!

Well there you have it folks, the completion of day 1!!!

Recap of the day... Yes it was hot and yes it was a little wet, but we all had a great time!!! We accomplished everything we wanted to do and even had some down time to re-energize!!! Couldn't have asked for a better day with my family!

Up next... Lounging poolside and dinner with the dinosaurs!!!

HollyBelle

Awww man, I was looking for Brett and I in your evening MK shots, but it looks like we may not have been in the same place at the same time. Although, I'm sure we crossed paths somewhere.

I totally agree with you regarding both Wishes/Summer Nightastic and Spectro/MSEP. It's totally the musical scores for both Wishes and Spectro that make them both special. I'm ready for Spectro to come back... but then again I guess I don't have the nostalgic attachment to MSEP that so many others have.

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Awww man, I was looking for Brett and I in your evening MK shots, but it looks like we may not have been in the same place at the same time. Although, I'm sure we crossed paths somewhere.

I totally agree with you regarding both Wishes/Summer Nightastic and Spectro/MSEP. It's totally the musical scores for both Wishes and Spectro that make them both special. I'm ready for Spectro to come back... but then again I guess I don't have the nostalgic attachment to MSEP that so many others have.

I bet we did cross paths at some point! :wave:

And I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way about Spectro and Wishes!!! But your right, we have the nostalgic connect to both of these evening shows that so many others have to MSEP. I hope Spectro is back when we go in Dec, but it doesn't appear to me the way as of now! :shrug:

tiaragirl

Such a cute TR. I am sure Tim had a wonderful time, but his smile seems to be missing? Your son is adorable, the paparazzi pictures made me laugh.. my sister did the same thing to me when we went on our last trip!

But, I feel the star of this TR is truly the red hat man.

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Such a cute TR. I am sure Tim had a wonderful time, but his smile seems to be missing? Your son is adorable, the paparazzi pictures made me laugh.. my sister did the same thing to me when we went on our last trip!

But, I feel the star of this TR is truly the red hat man.

Tim did have a great time, he is just so straight faced and shows no emotion!!! Matter to fact he came to me about a week ago to find out when we are going back!!! :ROFLOL: Needless to say a trip is currently being planned for the beginning of Sept and Tim will be with us again!!!

And Yes, Devon is a freaking hoot! Loves the cmera! Can you tell??? :ROFLOL:

Totally agree the emmy of the TR goes to red hat man!!! :sohappy:

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Day 2

Saturday August 14th Lounging poolside and DTD

Ok all, this will be a quick update as Mr. Devon is about to come barging in the door from football practice looking for something to eat!!!

Day 2 was our down day in Disney... The plan for the day was to lounge poolside and head to DTD in the evening, so without further ado, on with the show!!!

We all slept in a bit today, I of course, was the first one awake. At about 8:30a I got up and headed to the food court for some much needed coffee! Once again, I could tell immediately it was going to be another HOT day in sunny Florida. After grabbing my joe, i headed back up to the room where I hopped back in bed, propped the pillows up and enjoyed my coffee while watching Phinneaus and Ferb.... Yes, Yes, I know I am a grown woman, but I absolutely love that show! LOL!!!

Anyway, at about 10am Tim and Devon started to wake up, but not before I snapped this pic... Isn't he the cutest???

172.JPG

...so at this point, we all decided to throw on our bathing suits and head down to the food court for some breakfast.

Here's little man brushing his teeth, figured I get him back for the pics he took of me getting ready the night before!!!

173.JPG

Breakfast was yummy!!! We all had Mickey waffles this morning!!! Don't know about you, but there is just something about these waffles that make them taste so good... Must be the shape!!!

After our belly were full we walked back to the room to put sunscreen on and grab our towels before we headed to the pool... Tim and Dev decided that we would start out at the baseball pool today!

177.JPG

180.JPG

Awww so relaxing laying by the pool!!!

181.JPG

There's Devon going god know what of the steps!!!

182.JPG

Now I warn you now, the next pic might hurt your eyes a bit, but I just had to take it!!! This dude pranced around the pool all morning like his you know what didn't stink!!!

183.JPG

Hey, if you got it flaunt it right???

It was around this time that I realized that I had to call Mears to schedule our pick up time the the next day to Universal Studios... Boy, was it such an easy process! I was very impressed!!! All I had to do was give them the resort we were staying at and they gave me 3 pick up times to choose from. I opted for the 9:10am pick up! With that out of the way, it was back to more picture taking!!!

Apparently Devon wanted to work on this his tan a bit!!!

184.JPG

Overall thoughts of the baseball pool! Loved it!!! they have these ledges that you can see in the above pic that you can lay or sit on, very realxing for someone like me who does not always like to get all the way in the water...

Ok, I must leave you all now... Devon just walked in from practice and is starving... But first I need to put the boy in the shower!!! He stinks!!! :ROFLOL:

Coming up next... Moving on over to the Surf pool!

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Great trip report!! BTW I am also a grown woman who loves Phineas and Ferb!! Looking forward to the rest of your report:sohappy:

Thanks!!! I am so glad I am not alone on the P & F note!!! :animwink:

Fireworks pictures were AMAZING!! :wave:

Looks like you guys had a blast!! :sohappy:

Look forward to more.

Thanks!!! It was so much fun!!! More to come soon!!!

I love it! Pool hopping at the resort, what a relaxing day. Can't wait to read more.

Thanks Holly!!! It was so relaxing laying by the pool! I will definitely be doing that on future trips!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom