A Quick Dose of Magic to Hold Me Over till December

Hi everyone, and welcome to my TR… For those of you who do not know me, my name is Reese. I am a single mother to a very handsome 8 year old son, Devon!!! He is the light in my life and I am so glad that he has the Disney bug like his mommy!!!
I figured I’d start with how this trip came about. You see I am surprising Devon with a trip to Disney in December as an “early Christmas gift” We are going December 3rd (my birthday) to December 11th. We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and are traveling with Devon’s best friend and his mom! I plan to tell Devon about the trip on Thanksgiving day which is a week before we leave! Not sure how I am going to surprise him exactly yet, but who cares about that right now! Anyway, being that Devon doesn’t know about the Dec trip he has been asking since school let out what we are doing for vacation. And my response had been… “You know mommy is super busy at work b/c it is an election year, so we really only can do day trips on the weekend this summer.” Well, Devon seemed to be fine with that response, but as we got into the 2nd week of July, he says to be mom you know we haven’t done anything yet this summer, what are we going to do??? Ok, so at this point I really needed to start figuring out where the heck I was going to take this boy for a mini vacation… We live in Philadelphia, which is a little less then 2 hours from the Jersey Shore, so I figured I’d just take him there (we usually make a trip there once a summer)… Anyway, as I started pricing out places to stay, how much it was going to cost me on the boardwalk to ride rides and play games all weekend and feed us, it was going to cost me well over $1000!!! I just could not justify paying that much $$$ to go to the stinking shore for 3 days!!!
Well, at that point the wheels in my head started turning and I said to myself I bet I can do a long weekend in Disney for cheaper!!! I wanted to do this as cheap as possible since we are going in December, so I called Disney and asked them if I could use the same % off pin code that I used for my December trip if I wanted to do a room only reservation in August??? ( I only needed a room only b/c I planned to use our Give a Day Get a Day vouchers to get us into MK) They looked it up and said absolutely!!! So I asked if there was any availabilty at All Star Sports for August 12th to the 16th? The CM said there was so I asked her to hold the room for me that I just needed to get a few things in order. I immediately hung up the phone with her, priced the airfare out and called my friend who works at a TV station in Miami to see if he would be able to get us free passes to Universal. He said he could!!! Woo Hoo!!! At this point I called my brother Tim to see if he wanted to come with us! Every year we go to Disney he always wants to come, but b/c we have been going in the fall and winter the last few years, he hasn’t been able to join us with his college class schedule. I ran the details by him and told him how much it would cost him and he didn’t hesitate for a second!!! YES!!! Looks like we are going to Disney and Universal!!!! Oh and by the way, the whole trip did end up costing me less then it would have to go to the shore!!!
I booked the trip the 3rd week in July, told Devon all about it and I was told I was the BEST MOM IN THE WHOLE WORLD!!! Now all we had to do was wait a little less then a month and we would be on our way!!!

Departure Day!!! Thursday August 12th
Since I have to take off more then a week for our December trip, I decided that I would book a later flight to Orlando so I could work at least a ½ day today. Our flight was scheduled to depart Philly International at 7:10pm. Of course today is an overcast day with pop up showers expected all day!!! Just great!!! I dropped Devon off at the babysitter and headed to the train, I work in the city so I get to make my lovely commute by train everyday!!! By the time I got to the train station the skies opened up!!! Lovely!!! I can see the delays at the airport happen as we speak!!! As soon as I get in the office I jump on to PHL’s website to see what kind of delays there are already… There are a few but my flight seems to be right on schedule! YES!!!! By the time lunch time rolled around, it cleared up and I was about ready to jump out of my skin!!! All I wanted to do was go home and leave for vacation!!! Luckily, it was pretty busy for the rest of the afternoon and before I knew it it was time to leave!!! But before I go, let me just check one more time to see if my flight is still on time. It was!!! I say my good byes to my work family and run, for the train!!! Thanks to some texting back and forth with blacktheidiot my train ride was super quick! Even though I was about to beat the crap out of the chick sitting next to me b/c she was cracking and chewing her gum like a freaking cow!!! Anyway, back to the story… Picked Devon up from the babysitter, ran home to get changed, took out the trash, grabbed our bags and was out the door to pick my brother Tim up!!! Woo hoo!!! We live not even 10 minutes from the airport so we headed to my parent’s so my oldest brother John could drop us off at the airport. We put are bags in his car and we were off!!!
We arrived at the airport a few minutes after five, not bad considering I didn’t end up leaving work till 4pm!!! We said see you later to my brother and headed inside!! One thing I swore I would not do this trip was check bags since we were only going for 5 days. So, once we got into the airport, we headed straight to the security check point… While waiting in line, I glance up at the departure screen only to see that our flight is delayed till 11:47pm!!! WHAT!!! Are you kidding me??? It was on schedule not even an hour ago!!! At this point I am freaking out just a bit! WTH am I going to do in the airport with an 8 year old for all these hours??? UGH great start to the trip!!! But then…. As I am putting the baggage up to go thru the scanner thingy, a light bulb when off!!! The flight to Orlando that was scheduled to leave a few hours before our original departure time was also delayed and that flight was now leaving at 6:21p!!! That was in like 45 minutes!!! We grabbed our bags and ran thru the terminal to the gate that the 621p flight was leaving from… Out of breathe at this point, I compose myself and calmly, ok semi-calmly as the nice gentleman at the gate if there was anyway we could get on this flight instead?? He asked my how many people, I told him 3. He then asked if I had checked bags, to which I replied NO!!! He said, I was making his life very easy… He punched away at the keyboard and I prayed as he was doing this… Then he says… You’re in luck, I think I can make this happen for you!!! THANK YOU DEAR GOD!!! He tells me the only seats left were the last row in the plane… Fine by me!!! We handed over our boarding passes for our original flight and he handed us knew ones. At this point it was a little after 6 and we were going to start boarding in a few minutes… We hightailed it to McDonalds for some food and ate while we waited to board.

Here’s us waiting
002.JPG

003.JPG

Our Plane, which Devon thought was pretty cool!!!

001.JPG

Finally boarding!!!

004.JPG

Tim and Devon waiting to take off!!!

005.JPG

So, remember how I said we were suppose to take off at 6:21pm… Well, that did not happen… Air traffic was all backed up, so we pretty much sat on the tarmac in line to take off!!! We finally lifted off around 7:30p. Not to bad I guess, considering we could have still been sitting in the airport!!

The flight was pretty uneventful and before we knew it, the captain had come over the loud speaker to say that we were beginning our desent into Orlando!!! It was about 9:15p at this point.
We landed just about at 9:30p. Since we were in the last seat of the plane we were one of the last people off the plane, oh well gave me a minute to call my parents to let them know we arrived safely. We grabbed our bags and headed to the tram to take us over to the main airport so we could hop on the Magical Express!!!

Here is Devon and Tim on the tram at MCO
006.JPG

Devon said the cutest thing on the Tram ride.... He said “mom, doesn’t it feel good to be back at our second home” I just smiled and sais “Yes it does”!!!
Since we had our ME docs, we walked right up to the podium and were directed to the ME bus that would take us to All Star Sports. Once on the bus we waited probably 15-20 minutes for the bus to lad up and we were on our way with All Star Sports being the first stop. After a quick 20 minute ride we were were pulling thru the gates of the All Star Resort !!! Woo hoo!!! Collected our bags from under the bus, thanked the bus driver and walked into All Star Sports!!! We were finally there!!!
I proceeded to the online check in area and was helped right away.
Here’s Devon looking around while I checked us in!

007.JPG

Check in went smoothly, we were given a room in the basketball section, but I had requested to say in either the baseball or the football section, since they are Dev’s two favorite sports. I kindly asked the if we could be moved to one of those locations, she made a phone call and we were moved to the fooball section!!! YAY!!! We were on our way!!!

Here is where we would call home for the next few days!!!

010.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Continued in next post....

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Once in the room, Devon and Tim got ready and headed to the pool, while I unpacked… Unpacking only took a few minutes so I headed to the Surf pool to watch the boys do some swimming.
Here are a few pics I took along the way!
View to the right of exiting our room
011.JPG

012.JPG

Devon and Tim swam for about a ½ hour, when they were getting out the pool they mentioned they were hungry so while they were drying of I ran to the food court and got them chicken nuggets and hot dog and some fries. I also purchased a refill mug since I knew we would be spending some time at the resort this trip.
We sat outside and ate, then headed back to the room to shower and get ready for our big day at the Magic Kingdom!!!
Up next… Day 1 Magic Kingdom
Until next time hope you all enjoyed!

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Yeah way to leave out the part that we texted all day when you left. I'm hurt. I will not be reading the next parts of this trip report.

HollyBelle

Hi, Reese! I was looking for you while we were there. We were at the Magic Kingdom briefly on Friday (right during the torrential downpour), so I wonder if we crossed paths. I can't wait to read more. And by the way, I love your darker hair!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Great story! Last-minute trips are the best...if only I knew someone who'd go on one with me. :lol:

Gotta compliment your quick thinking at the airport--glad the flight switch went your way.

disneygirl1

Original Poster
At nice fix between trips. Thanks.

Yes it was!

I'm looking forward to your report so far. What a beautiful little boy you have! He looks so excited in the photos.

Thanks so much! Devon loves the camera! :ROFLOL:

Yeah way to leave out the part that we texted all day when you left. I'm hurt. I will not be reading the next parts of this trip report.

I will knock you out!!! Obviously you are not reading my TR very closely b/c I say that thank good I was texting back and forth with blackthidot b/c he made my afternoon fly by!!! :wave:

Hi, Reese! I was looking for you while we were there. We were at the Magic Kingdom briefly on Friday (right during the torrential downpour), so I wonder if we crossed paths. I can't wait to read more. And by the way, I love your darker hair!

Hey!!! I was looking for you at MK on Friday!!! That rain stunk! We were sitting at Columbia Harbor House waiting for it to die down the first downpour, then we got stuck in the gift shop right near the magic carpet the 2nd time! Thanks so much, I actually like my hair darker too! :) Are you heading back to Disney in December with Brett's family again this year?

Great story! Last-minute trips are the best...if only I knew someone who'd go on one with me. :lol:

Gotta compliment your quick thinking at the airport--glad the flight switch went your way.

Yes, I loved being able to throw a quick trip together! Hope I can do it again!

HollyBelle

That was my point...haha

And you didnt say blackthidot

Nope, instead she called you blacktheidiot, which I'm guessing wasn't a typo on her part. :lol: I know I got a good laugh when I read it.

Reese, yes we'll be there in December but unfortunately it doesn't look like our days coincide with yours, which is too bad because I think we'll be at Kidani. We'll be checking in on the 12th.

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Nope, instead she called you blacktheidiot, which I'm guessing wasn't a typo on her part. :lol: I know I got a good laugh when I read it.

Reese, yes we'll be there in December but unfortunately it doesn't look like our days coincide with yours, which is too bad because I think we'll be at Kidani. We'll be checking in on the 12th.

Ha Ha!!! Sorry about that John, I was typing super fast!!! Everyone knows I meant you thou!!! :wave:

Well that stinks!!! We check out of AKL on the 11th!!! :hammer:

Korfar

Awesome plane you had. Now that I live near Milwaukee I have become a Brewer fan. I would love to have that plane on our trip. Like your report so far. Looking forward to the rest of it.

disneygirl1

Original Poster
Awesome plane you had. Now that I live near Milwaukee I have become a Brewer fan. I would love to have that plane on our trip. Like your report so far. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Yes, it was pretty cool!!! Getting ready to post my next installment now!

I get no love.

I said I was sorry!!! :cry: You are going to make me cry!!! Don't worry there will be more mention of you coming up!!! I promise!!! :wave:

I'm loving your quick trip report! How fun to get to just pop in to your favorite place! And your son is so sweet!

Thanks!!! It was pretty cool to be able to plan I quick trip! Devon is pretty cool!

disneygirl1

Original Poster
After a semi-good night rest (I always have a hard time sleeping the first night away from my own bed) my alarm went off bright and early! Nothing like waking at 6:45am when you are in Disney World! Washed my face and threw on some flip flops and headed to the food court for some much needed coffee!!! I don't know about you all, but there is just something so peaceful about walking around your Disney Resort this early in the morning... It is just so quite and pretty! Anyway, I headed back to the room and started getting ready while the boys still slept. At about 7:45a the boy's wake up call thru and they were up rushing around getting ready. We were out the door by 8:10a.

As you can see it's just a but HOT and HUMID out already!!!

014.JPG

We ate at the food court for Breakfast. Devon had the kids scramble egg and bacon platter, Tim had the pancake breakfast and I, well, am not a big breakfast eater, so I just had a YUMMY apple turnover! We scarfed are food and headed to the bus stop! After a few minutes the Magic Kingdom bus pulled up and we hopped on. Luckily, we did not have to make rounds at Music or Movies. The bus ride was rather quick. We arrived at MK about 9am. I think this is the earliest I have ever made it to a theme park when in Disney!!!

016.JPG

Today, we planned to use our Give a Day Get a Day vouchers to get into the park. There was a sign directing those wishing to redeem their voucher so we followed it and got in line. We were called up to the window, given our cards and were thru the Magic Kingdom turnstiles in NO TIME!!!

Main Street was pretty empty and I noticed immediately that there was a lot of refurbing going on to the buildings... Here are a few pictures as we made our way down Main Street

018.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

022.JPG

Just love this sight!!! How can it not put a smile on your face???

025.JPG

I'm sure everyone has their routines and specific routes they take at each park, and for us, it has always started with:

026.JPG

We headed straight for Space Mountain to get a fastpass. We were very excited to ride Space, as it was being refurbed when we were there last Sept. and were anxious to ride the new and improved version.

We then walked over to Buzz... There was no wait at all!!! We walked right on!!! Surprisingly that would be a recurring theme pretty much all day long!!!

028.JPG

Zurg got Devon!!! Oh NO!!!

029.JPG

***This is one of those pictures that I take year after year of Devon!!! I just loving seeing how he has grown from trip to trip. Starting to realize my baby isn't a baby anymore!

After Buzz we went and got in line for MILF. We waited for about 5 minutes for the next show to start. Tim has been seen this and was cracking up the entire time! He later admitted to me that he was silently praying that he did not get picked for anything! LOL!!!

We walked right across the way and hopped on Stitches Great Escape, again no wait!!! I know many people hate this attraction, but Devon and I love it! My brother said he liked it better when it was Alien Encounter!!! Personally, I'm a big baby and AE freaked me out and I hated riding it!!! Anyway, once the ride was over, Devon looked around the gift shop that the ride empties into and Tim and I discussed where we would head next since we still had about 15-20 minutes until we could use our Space FP. We decided we would ride the Indy Speedway! We dragged Dev from the gift shop... I swear for a boy, the kid always wants to buy something!!! Honestly, waiting in line to ride Indy, I thought I was going to pass the heck out it was so hot. Maybe it had something to do with the fact we waited in line for at least 30 minutes with the sun BEATING on us!!! Finally we got to the front of the line... Tim rode by himself and Devon and I drove together. All I can say in god help me when the kid can drive for real! LOL!!! Not sure what the problem was, but there was a pretty big back up of cars at the end. We probably waiting at least 10 minutes to exit our cars at the end of the ride.

continued in next post

disneygirl1

Original Poster
By this time, it was time to ride SPACE!!!

033.JPG

Woo Hoo!!! I'm not sure if I was more excited to actually ride the ride, or get into the cold dark building that Space provides!!! We walked straight thru and I could definitely notice the subtle differences to the ride already. All in all the actual ride itself did not change much it is really just the waiting area before and after the ride!!!

Here is Devon being silly exiting Space

035.JPG

Again we browsed the gift shop for a bit and I asked the guys if they were thirsty, b/c I was feeling a bit parched! They too said they could use a drink, so I suggested a smoothie for Auntie Gravity's!!! Tim and Devon both ordered Stawberry smoothies and I got a Cappuccino one!!! We drank our smoothies as we ventured over to Toontown. Boy were they delish!!!

Now I have to admit, I have never really been a huge fan of toontown, but since I am not sure Toontown will even be open come December, I wanted to do 1 last walk thru before it is NO MORE!!!

036.JPG

038.JPG

040.JPG

After our brief stop in Toontown we venture towards Fantasyland. I have to say, it may be just be, but all the construction that is going on in Fantasyland, just made me want to get out of there as fast as I could!!!

Of all the lands in MK Fantasyland has always been the one place we don't really spend that much time in... We have our must do attractions (Philharmagic, IASW, Pooh and Peter Pan) and we move on. Today with IASW closed and the lines for Pooh and Peter Pan exceeding 40 mins, we decided we would go see Philharmagic and hit the rest of Fantasyland up later tonight during EMH.

Here is Devon looking oh too cool in his Opree glasses!!!

041.JPG

After the show, we strolled on over to my man blackthidot (happy I got it right John?) favorite attraction in MK!!! The Haunted Mansion

042.JPG

043.JPG

044.JPG

046.JPG

I was on a mission as I exited the ride, On thursday when I was talking with John (blackthidot) he asked me to send him pics of the merchandise at Madame Leota's cart... Well Guess what it was CLOSED!!! I'm thinking it had something to do with the fact it was starting to pour for the first time today!!!

With the skies opening up, we decided to take refuge under the awning at Columbia Harbour house till it slowed down. Can I just tell you I wish I had a video camera. It was hilarious the amount of people who were running, slipping and sliding all over the place in the rain (note, me laughing here will come back to bite me big time in the future)!!!

I will leave you there for now! Till next time!!! TTFN

mouselvrmom

I totally agree, the construction at Fantasyland just makes me want to get the heck out of there! :lol:

Great Haunted Mansion pics! It's my fave behind Tower of Terror. :sohappy:

HollyBelle

The pictures of your brother are cracking me up because he's giving you the same "are we really taking another picture?" face in every one of them. Whereas, Devon has the Disney picture-taking down pat. Case in point... the Zurg photo. LOVE IT! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom