A Pirate’s Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas

yeti

Compared to the above example, Aladdin/Arabia should have been easy to integrate into MK's Adventureland, as North African-inspired buildings were already in that area. The design needed to compliment, or at least not detract from, its surroundings, especially the South Seas area.

Yup, exactly. Look no further than DLP as an example of this sort of thing. Their Adventureland seems to grasp the concept of coherent placemaking...it may not compliment the surrounding architecture, but at least their Agrabah is one of at least three sublands you cross through so it doesn't intrude. It's fine to incorporate Aladdin in AL, but having it smack-dab in the middle next to the Tiki room is problematic. Seeing the Contemporary from Liberty Square is one thing. Having the Carpets three steps away from the Jungle Cruise is another entirely.

With that said, I can't see this as an improvement at all. The Pirate theming is nice, but at the same time, isn't, because Pirates in Adventureland have no place east of PotC.

Genie of the Lamp

It won't be long until these new interactive games occur more frequently than a new attraction/land is announced for WDW. Before long they'll be in every land of every WDW park with below average participation in em as guests will instead be riding the current offering of stale attractions or going to the new and improved USO/IOA even SW possibly.

Next Big Thing

It won't be long until these new interactive games occur more frequently than a new attraction/land is announced for WDW. Before long they'll be in every land of every WDW park with below average participation in em as guests will instead be riding the current offering of stale attractions or going to the new and improved USO/IOA even SW possibly.
They already are. Since Last January, THREE interactive games have been announced (SotMK, Wilderness Explorers, and this) and World Showcase adventure got a revamp.

BryceM

Been a while since I've been there then but wow since they already are in place and no new attractions are persuading me to vacation at WDW, I guess I'll have to go on a DCL Carribbean week cruise in addition to going to USO/IOA where new E-Tickets are and already have been built.
You would rather pay $90 to experience immersively themed environments and bonafide E-Tickets rather than interactive games? Gasp!

;)

Genie of the Lamp

LOL Haha, good comeback. Gotta give you props bro. As a college kid here in Pittsburgh,PA, I myself can't even afford to make a trip down to UNI cause $90 wouldn't even get me a one way coach ticket to MCO. But if I had the money to do so, I would do it in a heartbeat cause I'm dying for a vacation since I haven't taken one in three years. In all honestly Bryce, yes...yes I would honestly spend $90 to enter USO/IOA.

Clowd Nyne

You would rather pay $90 to experience immersively themed environments and bonafide E-Tickets rather than interactive games? Gasp!

;)
And the worst part is until Disney loses some of its market share we aren't going to see any new e-ticets. Everyone too needs to remember the huge fantasyland expansion that just wrapped and the animal kingdom expansion that is in the works.

Genie of the Lamp

The problem with the approximate $425 million fantasyland expansion is it lacks quality ride substance currently. The crown jewel of it right now is a restaurant (which I hope disney never intended to be). However, once 7DMT opens, then I believe as Chris Beatty has stated since this was added into the expansion this D-Ticket will be the headliner of this expansion to go along with BOG. LM is a nice fantasyland dark ride, but it lacks the wow factor which would make it re rideable. I know for some this isn't the case. As for the Avatar expansion, I guess they're moving along at a snail's pace. If you look at Mr.Spirit's thread on page 169, you'll find my thread where I ask about updates to this and other projects to fellow members here.

Clowd Nyne

The problem with the approximate $425 million fantasyland expansion is it lacks quality ride substance currently. The crown jewel of it right now is a restaurant (which I hope disney never intended to be).
I have three children who can't wait to experience NFL in a month. I think the expansion really ups the fantasyland experience for adults. I have never really thought of FL as my personal reason for going to MK, but it's the only thing on my kids minds. Anything to add value to that age bracket makes me happy as a parent.

Genie of the Lamp

Hope your kids have a great time experiencing NFL as they have a great parent to make this trip to them at least become a reality. Everyone has different tastes, but I stand by my opinion. In all honesty, the only reason I see the adult experience uped is the fact that they allow you to consume Beer/wine in BOG. I have never used FL as a personal reason to visit the MK either, however it would of been nice if this expansion was done properly to give me a personal reason to do so. Make sure to post a trip report thread when you come back.

SirLink

And the worst part is until Disney loses some of its market share we aren't going to see any new e-ticets. Everyone too needs to remember the huge fantasyland expansion that just wrapped and the animal kingdom expansion that is in the works.

What Animal Kingdom project? Avatar is in a comatosed state...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Disney (Orlando) used to be known as the market leader who still added amazing E Tickets.

The "huge" Fanatsyland expansion, whilst nice, is in effect a long-needed and drawn out replacement for a previous E Ticket that was a mess from start to finish, comprising of a money making restaurant, a cloned D ride that already has issues, an elaborate M&G that by definition can't cope with the crowds and a dropped in, value engineered kiddy coaster.

Animal Kingdom expansion is in such a mess it really needs another thread starting.

JungleTrekFan

With that said, I can't see this as an improvement at all. The Pirate theming is nice, but at the same time, isn't, because Pirates in Adventureland have no place east of PotC.
Not necessarily, Pirates were not just a Caribbean (west Adventureland) phenomenon. Pirates exist(ed) all over the world. So they can be near a major river in a jungle (Jungle Cruise) or on a random island in the east Indies (Swiss family robinson) or the polynesian islands (Tiki room and Aloha Isle area). They just wouldn’t be in a dessert (Aladdin).

The only issue with Adventureland i have is that the polynesian area is split up by Agrabah, so you have the aloha isle on one side and tiki room on the other, both polynesian areas split up. But i agree DLP definitely has a much better way of using their space wisely, using a good area for each sub land, instead of the WDW and DL MK small and compact land design.

And I’m interesting to see how this new experience pans out, seems more interesting then the SotMK game, at least to me.

SirLink

Disney (Orlando) used to be known as the market leader who still added amazing E Tickets.

The "huge" Fanatsyland expansion, whilst nice, is in effect a long-needed and drawn out replacement for a previous E Ticket that was a mess from start to finish, comprising of a money making restaurant, a cloned D ride that already has issues, an elaborate M&G that by definition can't cope with the crowds and a dropped in, value engineered kiddy coaster.

Animal Kingdom expansion is in such a mess it really needs another thread starting.

I think by end of 2013 if they haven't announced or started construction on projects for HS or DAK, like in the good old days where they start to build and announce later, I'm going to pour one out for WDW I knew and concentrate on the great Theme parks around the world...

yeti

Not necessarily, Pirates were not just a Caribbean (west Adventureland) phenomenon. Pirates exist(ed) all over the world. So they can be near a major river in a jungle (Jungle Cruise) or on a random island in the east Indies (Swiss family robinson) or the polynesian islands (Tiki room and Aloha Isle area). They just wouldn’t be in a dessert (Aladdin).

Of course they did. But there's a variety. If they pay attention to place and period detail then I'm all...er, more like slightly more, for it. But this is a case of the conventional, more fictional "pirate" brand throwing up all over AL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom