A Pirate’s Adventure: Treasures of the Seven Seas

ctxak98

also why does Adventureland...have to be one theme??? The theme is Adventure much like Walts old TV shows taking you all over the world. I think the Area flows well.

Lee

Adventurer
I figured when you talk about Africa you are reffering to the Jungle Cruise...which never made sense to me. First of all when your in the cave you come across a tiger...Tigers are NOT found in Africa!
The headquarters of the Jungle Navigation Co., from which you depart, is in Africa.
From there you sort of cross the globe via river.

ctxak98

Lack of "nitpicking" is what leads to things like DinoRama, 'toons in Tomorrowland, and Nemo in Epcot.
There needs to be more nitpicking in my opinion...
I agree some nitpicking is fine like everything you just mentioned I AGREE WITH! I hate dinorama, Toons and nemo in epcot. However adventureland theme is not oneof them. thats all

FigmentJedi

True, but it is near the front, close to Tiki Room. That provides a subtle progression from Tiki to a small Arabia, then into the main 1930s Africa part of the land.
30s India you mean. The Jungle Navigation Company and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye are located in India.

Clowd Nyne

I will be there March 1. You guys have given me a lot to reasses. I don't think I'm
Going to ever look at this area of adventure land the same ever again...

And thanks for removing my rose colored glasses and stomping them right in front of me.

Lee

Adventurer
30s India you mean. The Jungle Navigation Company and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye are located in India.
Really? I need to go back and read the manual...

Update: The "Survival Guide", which tells the history of the boathouse and the Jungle Cruise Trading Co., doesnt specify a country or continent. It just says "jungle".
I guess I always assumed it was Africa, but India does fit.
Huh...

doctornick

Regarding DL and Lee's point, the irony to me is that they could have made the bulk of Adventureland a uniform theme by basing the IJ ride in Subsaharan Africa so it could be in line with the neighborning attractions of Tarzan and Jungle Cruise (if that's based in Africa, which if it's not it could have been themed to such). But they made IJ based on India instead.

RandySavage

^ But I don't think a uniform theme/time/place is or should be the goal of an Adventureland (as opposed to a Harambe or a Morocco, which are more precise geographic locales), just as you wouldn't want all of Fantasyland to be German Gothic buildings. The diversity of locales presented in the lands makes them appealing, in most cases.

The key, of course, is how well & thoughtfully the various architectural/theme features are woven together. The DisneySea group was tasked with putting Turtle Talk in a 1918 New York setting, which should have been a thematic trainwreck, but their were some very skilled people involved and the outcome actually worked.

Compared to the above example, Aladdin/Arabia should have been easy to integrate into MK's Adventureland, as North African-inspired buildings were already in that area. The design needed to compliment, or at least not detract from, its surroundings, especially the South Seas area. But the Carpets went way too plasticy & toony in design, compared to everything around it, so there is a visual discordance there, to a degree.

Since we're discussing Theme Park Theory, an interesting test of the type of integration I mentioned will be with the new Tangled bathrooms. On one side you'll have the rigid, Euro-historical gingerbread architecture designed by WED in the late 60s and across from it you'll have the more sagging, aged, storybook style employed by WDI in the more recent era. How will they be woven together and/or will there be an attempt to do so? Is there a need?

Animaniac93-98

Since we're discussing Theme Park Theory, an interesting test of the type of integration I mentioned will be with the new Tangled bathrooms. On one side you'll have the rigid, Euro-historical gingerbread architecture designed by WED in the late 60s and across from it you'll have the more sagging, aged, storybook style employed by WDI in the more recent era. How will they be woven together and/or will there be an attempt to do so? Is there a need?

I bring up this issue in my post here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...thirty-years-apart.856749/page-2#post-5271027

RandySavage

That was a very interesting post, thanks. You're probably familiar with Rothenburg in Germany, which strongly influenced the MK's more historical Fantasyland. Without any wall (maybe trees will be going in the middle?) in the Tangled area, will be interesting to see how these two styles collide or compliment... we'll know in a number of weeks.

lazyboy97o

Lack of "nitpicking" is what leads to things like DinoRama, 'toons in Tomorrowland, and Nemo in Epcot.
There needs to be more nitpicking in my opinion...
Funny how nitpicking done right is celebrated as a detail, part of the "Disney Difference," but when not done well it should just be ignored.

Gfhweb

Well back to the original purpose of this. I think it is very interesting that if you study the concept art this is does not look to be a interactive hunt in terms of screens and technology but more of a kinetic one.

The guest seems to be triggering real life things to happen, whether it be the balls shooting or the shark fins spinning. All of these also seem to be triggered by finding the skulls hidden throughout adventure land, not by a card or a RFID. If you look ever single guest that is doing something also has their hand inside of one of the skulls with glowing eyes.

This could all be conjecture but this would be a much more exciting and interesting game if it was that involved. The level of complexity this would have outside in the elements though does bring up the issue of upkeep which could deteriorate quickly if this is not a very popular addition.

SirLink

Sometimes attractions do have to be shoehorned in to make use of space that wasn't drawing crowds. And if you say it's crowded then some people must like it.

You don't, you shouldn't design that way ... you should say this area needs a show/restaurant/shop/ride and then go well we are supposed to be in Polynesia/Frontier/etc/ and design from there.

YOU SHOULDN'T GO - "We want to add an Aladdin Ride! Well it can't go in TL/FL/LS/MS and lets flip a coin between FL/AL". That thinking has led to FW be devoid of the future,WS turned into a food court, HS turned into a calamity of various entertainment properties, and TL being having all the Buck Rogers sucked out of it...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom