A Family Affair-July 23rd-31

I suppose I should start by introducing the cast of family members. This has been a trip 2 yrs in the making. After we became DVC members, my husband and I decided it was time to bring my entire family back to the world...

35216_1317755315228_1571119555_30656607_5894471_n.jpg

This is us!

(from left to right)
Randin- my '6' year old nephew.-first timer
Jamie-My older sisters bf-first timer
My mom-hates flying, and only been to Disney once, 20 yrs ago.
Andy 32-My born again Disney fan
Me 30-Aleisha-the one in the green tank...I am a disney nut.
Dad-was so excited to be back after 15 yrs.
Hillary-sister27 Randins mom-white tank-skeptical of the whole Disney trip
Burgandy-sister-35-Jamies other half....we took her back in 08' when I was pregnant with...
Logan-18 months, his 2nd trip

and now.

Day 1 July 23rd

It was a very excited family that left Northern Virginia bright and early-and by early I mean we were at the airport at 5:30am on Saturday the 23rd. We were all a little tired, but excited at the same time to get the show on the road. Andy and I had talked about what to do with lil man, since we were still nervous about bringing a 1 and a half year old on a plane for the first time. We were sneaky and slipped him a little Dramamine in his bottle, as you can see it worked, and he conked out just before take off, we were able to snap a quick photo of his first time.

IMG_3850.JPG
sleepy little Logan.

After a quick two hour flight, we made our way to Magical Express, boarded the bus and made our way to the Animal Kingdom Lodge were we would call home for the next week. Being a DVC member, as well as an avid Disney world fan we have stayed in numerous Disney hotels, ranging from moderate accommodations to the Deluxe Villas. And other than a quick two night stay back in February we had never before stayed in the Animal Kingdom. Mainly because Andy and I when we first saw the place, weren't exactly excited about the place and didn't think it was our cup of tea. After staying there, having the Savannah view, I can proudly say, we have dif. changed our mind. First off the service is incredible. From the moment we stepped foot on the grounds we were greeted by nothing but exceptional kindness. When we checked in, the cast member asked if it was my nephews birthday, apparently one of us had entered it in awhile ago, but didn't remember. And even though his birthday was earlier this year, I remembered the 6 months rule and said yes. They presented the little man with a Birthday button to which my sister had to explain why we were celebrating his birthday, even though it really wasn't.

I loved the African music that was piped into the lobby. We had saved our points-for non DVC members=money-to get a Savannah view figuring that this trip would be my nephews first trip we wanted to go all out for him. Though even without this I think we would have been extremely happy. The lobby itself, with the African artifacts and the views of the animals are breathtaking enough.

37877_1317768435556_1571119555_30656784_4082879_n.jpg
and this was the view we came to love. Yes this is a shot from our balcony. I swear there are animals there just not in this shot. We would often wake up grab a cup of caffeine-for some it was coffee while for others it was soda-and sit out here watching the animals do there thing in the morning.

IMG_3971.jpg

Aww yes there is the animals!

Even my own parents who have never really understood my husbands and mines fascination, or gotten the whole Disney thing seemed quite impressed acting much like little kids running from room to room-we had a two room villa-just saying they couldn't believe the accommodations. And for the first time, it seemed as though they finally started to believe why we were smitten. Not only that but they actually said they could see why we invested the money that we have.

IMG_3885.JPG

This made me a very happy person as you can see..and I was actually in the middle of the deck!

After dropping off our bags, We all went our separate ways for a bit, since Randin wasn't exactly willing to wait to go to a park Hillary took him off to the Magic Kingdom. Burg and Jamie went to the studio-which we also had since cramming everyone would be impossible not with two guys over 6'3. And Andy and I took my parents over to downtown to do a little shopping.

IMG_3856.jpg
We headed to dinner at the Poly that evening, where my family got their first taste of what the Disney treatment is, mainly in the area with food. Since I have so many food allergies and my sister and my dad have a couple to add, I had told them repeatedly of the greatness and the care that Disney offers. Of course none of them expected what was to come. My dad was quite impressed with the salad raved about it in fact the rest of the trip. Throughout dinner Randin watched as the singer- I can't remember her name please forgive-kept wishing kids a Happy Birthday...and he naturally thought she would do the same for him. Unfortunately she was on her break. This of course did not stop my sister from asking the chef-since he was out about my dessert if she would make an exception and although he made no promises, five minutes later she was out wishing my nephew a very happy birthday.

I wish I would have gotten a picture of my fathers face at the whole magic Disney makes happen.After the meal, which was filling and left the group of 10 extremely happy, they began to see what has lured my husband back year after year.

And while we would have loved to enjoy the evening at the parks it had been a long day. So we decided to head back to the hotel to enjoy the evening and rest up knowing we would be hitting the parks full force the next day.

WishIWasAtWDW

yay! so excited to see a trip report from you! i am very excited to read the rest of your report. and the akl is now on my list of resorts i want to stay in! and that savannah view would be AMAZING!

mickeysshoes

Sounds like you had a great first day!!! Cant wait to read the rest..it will help me pass my last week away!!!! You sound like us when we used to fly out of BWI on Sunday morning!!! at the airport at the crack of dawn for a 7am flight...now we leave out of Dulles on a Saturday afternoon!! Hang out and relax when we get there and does not feel like the first day is quite a long!!! Cant wait for the rest!!!

HollyBelle

Hello, check out that view and the size of your balcony! I LOVE the AKL and completely agree with you about the staff being extremely friendly/accommodating... sometimes it seems more-so there than at other resorts. I'm so glad to hear that your parents immediately picked up on the Disney magic upon arrival at the resort (and later at Ohana). I can't wait to read more and I look forward to seeing how your little man enjoys it!

foreverbelle

Original Poster
July 24, 2010

Lets move on to day two shall we!

Andy and I wanted to do something for Randin, since it was his first trip, which is why, we decided to surprise him with an in-room present to arrive this afternoon. Knowing this we all got up early and headed to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Now I will say this,We had talked about Toy Story Mania for a long time, raving about the ride and picking up the Wii game for Christmas. My family was pretty excited about it. I had warned them that tickets for this-fastpasses-went fast.Which is why, we headed immediately to get fastpasses to ride it. Just as expected, the return time was already well until later on in the afternoon. Randin of course didn't understand and my parents wondered if it was even worth it. We assured the rest of the group that it would be well worth the wait. My parents offered to take the boys to go see Playhouse Disney while the big kids-that would be myself, my husband and both sisters plus one boyfriend off to ride some thrill rides. Mainly Rock N' Roller coaster. As always, it was a huge line and to save some time we opted for the single rider line which shortened the line by quite some time and we were out of there in no time.

IMG_3862.JPG

At this point we still had a couple hours to kill before our fastpass return time and my sisters and the boyfriend went off to join my parents in watching Indiana Jones, while Andy and I and the now little man went to grab lunch before we met up with them at Toy Story Mania. Of course while sitting there lil man enjoyed mommy's drink and actually learned how to control the thing. One should watch out from now on. All the heat however made for one sleepy boy and he tuckered out before we got to the Toy Story Mania

IMG_3875.JPG

It was finally time to ride the ride we had hyped up and for a minute I actually worried that we had hyped it up so much that they would be disappointing. Making our way we made sure to get in the shade, and wait for my family. The plan was to take turns watching lil man while we went in groups on the ride.

IMG_3877.JPG

However as the time approached and no sign of my family-but a thousand tour groups.-we saw as even the fastpass line grew to outrageous numbers. And as the hour past, Andy and I knew there would be no way that all ten of us could ride. So we stood back and let the rest of the family ride while we waited, promising ourselves that we would make it back to the park later in the trip-after all it was only the first day in the parks and day two of vacation. We still had plenty of time.

On a side note this was the first year my husband and I actually encountered the large number of tour groups...and while there were plenty of them, we really had no issue with them at all.

38278_1317764275452_1571119555_30656739_100769_n.jpg

The good news, everyone thought this was one of the best rides ever. And while it was disappointing to not be able to ride, I know we will return, more often than any of my family, which meant we will be able to ride whether it was this go around or next.

I must say for previous trips we would be jumping from one ride/show to the next without much of a thought of rest. But my mom was in pain, the boyfriend not feeling good and both lil ones had had their fill for the day. We knew what time the 'surprise' was to happen so we took our time watched the block party and enjoyed the afternoon.

SDC10018.jpg

The look on Logans face as Buzz-his favorite-flew right on by!

We wanted to make sure it was there, so Jamie and I ran ahead, Hillary ran off to get the video camera while Andy and my dad distracted him. Thankfully it was done when we checked and we quickly went down to get the gang for Randin's big surprise. What awaited him is tink, pixie dust, an autograph book and a huge Mickey Mouse and an autographed picture from Mickey and Pals. I wasn't able to get any pictures, because I was mainly making sure that Randin was out til it was all ok...however Logan seemed to enjoy the presents.

SDC10036.jpg

And because the kids were exhausted and my mom was in pain, we spent the evening much like the night before, having a quiet dinner-all at different places-before calling it a night.

tiaragirl

So looking forward to this, Aleisha! What a cutie that Logan is. Bummer about TSMM, but you guys are true Disney lovers.. letting everyone else have the fun first!

margot2791

Awesome trip report! I was there in late June and missing it already. Bummer you didnt get to go on TSMM. Did you know that you do not have to use your fast passes during that hour? You can really go any time after the return time. CMs just let you right on through!

mouselvrmom

I'm loving your trip report so far! How great that you got to bring the whole family! And I really would like to try AKL someday!

Can't wait to read more!

disneygirl1

YAY for starting your trip report!!! :sohappy: Can't wait to read more!!! We are staying at AKL this coming Dec for the 1st time!!! I so can not wait!!!

foreverbelle

Original Poster
Awesome trip report! I was there in late June and missing it already. Bummer you didnt get to go on TSMM. Did you know that you do not have to use your fast passes during that hour? You can really go any time after the return time. CMs just let you right on through!

That is a great thing to know. Thanks for the info...

foreverbelle

Original Poster
So looking forward to this, Aleisha! What a cutie that Logan is. Bummer about TSMM, but you guys are true Disney lovers.. letting everyone else have the fun first!

Really that was the whole point of the trip, to let them enjoy themselves. We would love to do it all as well, but we know we will be back down, its harder to get them all down so let them have the fun first..

foreverbelle

Original Poster
Sounds like you had a great first day!!! Cant wait to read the rest..it will help me pass my last week away!!!! You sound like us when we used to fly out of BWI on Sunday morning!!! at the airport at the crack of dawn for a 7am flight...now we leave out of Dulles on a Saturday afternoon!! Hang out and relax when we get there and does not feel like the first day is quite a long!!! Cant wait for the rest!!!

Our flight took off from Reagan we ended up staying in a hotel the night before to save a little time...it worked out nicely. But I think we still prefer Dulles.

foreverbelle

Original Poster
July 25, 2010
38498_1319445477481_1571119555_30660522_2184812_n.jpg

This is my mom-and me

And while I could sit here and do the typical trip report, I figured for day three I will tell a fabulous story about her, the trip and a side of Disney most have probably never considered.

Lets talk about my mom. After all my existence on this Earth wouldn't be possible without her. Four months ago my mom was on her way to work as a local county public school bus driver. She stopped to get some coffee at the 7-11 around the corner when she tripped on a mat and fell face first into a sports car. In doing so, she tore all but one of her ligaments in her rotatory cuff. She has yet to return to work, she had surgery Friday-as in Aug 6th-morning. We were kind of skeptical she would even come with us, because she has needless to say been pretty down and out of it. Between worrying about the surgery, and suffering through the pain I suppose I wouldn't have blamed her if she had changed her mind. But alas, she wanted to go. After two years of planning she said that this was the one thing in the past few months that had actually been keeping her going. This of course was exciting, and and wonderful but I have to be honest here. I think we were a bit nervous that she wouldn't have a good time. I feared she wouldn't find anything to do. That she would be cooped up in the hotel room while the rest of the gang went out. And that isn't the sort of Disney vacation I dreamt of for her, or for anyone really.

We knew we would have to take things a lot slower however. We knew we wouldn't exactly be hitting the parks every hour with her. Which is fine because my mom isn't exactly the ride type of person. So on that Monday my mom pulled out the activity guide at Animal Kingdom Lodge and found there were ceramics. She asked if we had even known about the activities at the resorts. Sure we knew about them but we had never participated in them. But we were willing to give it a try since we like to do different things with each trip.

Now if you have never done this, that is done any activities at the resorts I advise you to. Especially if you aren't the thrill/ride kind of person.

The Animal Kingdom Lodge offered both ceramics and jewelery making every other day. Monday was ceramics. Located in the Simba Club House, at Jumbo house we were greeted by two cordinators that supervised the ceramics. They offer anything from Mickey ornaments, to a Buzz Lightyear bank, to a Mickey Chip and Dip bowl. I must admit I was quite impressed not only with the selection of pieces but the prices. Up in Northern Virginia my husband and I have done ceramics but have stopped in recent due to the prices. But at Disney, all we had to pay for was the piece.

On this day my mom choose to do a mug.

The coordinators-Michele and Hillaree-I have to say were beyond impressive. Friendly and accommodating they made sure my mom was taken care of, even helping her get the colors and all so my mom wouldn't have to contentiously get up and down from her already painful state. By the end of the week we actually got to know them very well, but thats another story.

37903_1319443557433_1571119555_30660496_4708663_n.jpg

After the coordinators say the results of this mug, they asked her to create one for their showcase.

37494_1319443517432_1571119555_30660495_2932365_n.jpg

I know painting and doing ceramics isn't most peoples ideal Disney vacation, but as I watched my mom sitting there painting, it occurred to me. Maybe she wasn't doing the rides and spending hours in the park. But she was having a wonderful time. She was enjoying herself, and she was in her element. And while this may not be everyone's ideal Disney vacation, this was her ideal Disney vacation.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
Sooooo good to see Moms got out there despite everything that happened! I wish my family would get it together and come with us!

disneygirl1

Sooooo good to see Moms got out there despite everything that happened! I wish my family would get it together and come with us!

Amen!!! I try to get my family to come with me every freaking year... I swear you think I might thinking I am asking to torture them for a week!! Well at least I have my brother coming with me in 3 days!!!

foreverbelle

Original Poster
Amen!!! I try to get my family to come with me every freaking year... I swear you think I might thinking I am asking to torture them for a week!! Well at least I have my brother coming with me in 3 days!!!

I know it was fabulous, it took some coaxing but they went, and loved it. I mean my mom was crying on the first day at everything we had done for the family. It wasn't my intention. I just wanted everyone to have a good time as a family...

But it was fabulous.

foreverbelle

Original Poster
July 27, 2010

By this point in the trip, most everyone had done each park at least once. And with this, our midway point in the vacation we decided to take the day off from the parks (with the exception of going for dinner) Instead, we hit the pools.

When we first started talking about the trip, Hillary asked about getting the water park option because she figured Randin would want to try it out. And while it was an option, we informed her that in all honesty he would probably enjoy the resort pool just as much. And so, even if she wanted to, she agreed.

Turned out to be a great thing because at six, he isn't exactly into the thrill rides, and has no interest in things that go to fast, to high or looks to scary for him. And as you can see, he seemed to enjoy the pool just as much.

39093_1319443837440_1571119555_30660499_299154_n.jpg
Oh blocking the sun. After checking out the pool, and realizing that we were right, and the AKL's pool was just as good as the water park, my sister decided it was a good thing we didn't pay extra for the park and spent most of the afternoons beside the pool herself...

38804_1319443877441_1571119555_30660500_3359123_n.jpg

He probably would live on this slide if you allowed him. And I am sure if you asked him, this was probably his favorite ride of the entire thing. No ticket? No problem man.

38777_1319444317452_1571119555_30660506_4614175_n.jpg

Even my dad got in the act. Though maybe he didn't exactly enjoy it as much as my nephew did. And that is quite alright

38775_1319443757438_1571119555_30660498_542876_n.jpg

And while the boys played..the girls enjoyed another resort offered activity. Jewelry making. Love the yeah ok but I will smile like I like it look of my lovely husband. I joined them and we all walked away with bracelets, anklets and necklaces. And I have to admit, I actually enjoyed myself. We had only been here for three full days but it felt so much longer and by doing things like pool days and what not, it make the vacation go by so much slower instead of the usual blink and your through we usually experience.

SDC10044.JPG

Of course these activities couldn't last forever besides we had dinner at EPCOT to get to, so we all headed back to the hotel, got ready to head to the park. My parents and Hillary and Randin had dinner at Le Cellier-which they thought was amazing-Burg and Jamie at Coral Reef-loved all but the lobster soup- and we at Chef's De France. Again we enjoyed it....but it was the after dinner special that we enjoyed the most.

You see we were meeting up in France, enjoying the evening in front of France's gardens when this young couple came up. The gentlemen kept trying to get the girl to sit on the edge of the water fountains to take a break. It took him a couple of tries but he finally managed to get her down. And thats when we realized just exactly what he was doing. For right before our eyes, he got down on one knee and proposed to her. My sister captured the moment and later emailed all pictures to them. Of course she said yes! I had never witnessed such a thing though I know so many people get engaged at Disney, and I have to say it was great seeing someone come up with another spot besides in front of the castle.

37562_1319447357528_1571119555_30660553_1542730_n.jpg

Moments after she said yes.

And may I add the ring-which I had to check out-was impressive!

After the engagement, we made our way over to Soarin' since Epcot had magic hours. It said it was a two hour wait, but the line looked a lot longer. Still they wanted to go. Besides TSMM, this was the other ride we had hyped up. I knew that for the most part everyone-with the exception of my mom-would love it. I had brought it up about letting mom sit out, but both sisters shook their heads and said nope, they swore she would once she got up and going. Umm my mom hates heights? Never the less, she was a good sport and went with us. Sure she held on to my fathers hand the entire ride and didn't open her eyes. But she went. Once. And that was good enough for her. My sisters didn't push her to go on anything else for the rest of the trip..but you can be sure I didn't miss the high five they gave one another behind her back as they walked out of the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom