News New Haunted Mansion Grounds Expansion, Retail Shop Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2024

mickEblu

To be fair, most of the mansion now obstructed by the new building was previously obstructed by plants. I think it might be a wash.

On the other hand, this image makes the shop look HUGE. I'm hoping that's just a camera angle thing.

I’m referring to how it throws off the scale of the Mansion from that angle.

mickEblu

Yeah, agreed, and I said that in the second part. I'm hoping it's just a weird/bad camera angle. If not, you're right. It's huge.

I think it’s just not a flattering angle. The peak of the roof is too high. Not sure why it had to be so tall.

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Forget about obstructing the view of TBA. I’m more concerned about this:

View attachment 815583

WDI is lost.

To be fair, most of the mansion now obstructed by the new building was previously obstructed by plants.

I’d argue plants/trees are different than a building. The plants/trees didn’t prevent the mansion from being the visual focal point when walking in this direction.

zipadee999

Yeah, not liking this.
Looks too large for the space it is straddling and messing with various sightlines in my opinion.

Hmmm…

🤔

-
I think it’ll look better from the mansion as you approach Critter Country because it blocks Tiana’s Bayou Salt Mound. From Critter Country, I think it might mess with the perspective of the mansion

jmuboy

Is it me or have some of those tall Italian ones on the exit crypt side of the mansion been removed? It does seem like more of that side of the mansion is visible.. I always loved those trees.

I know large tree replacement in general might not be complete yet for this project but I do hope some greenery is added back to that side.

mickEblu

Is it me or have some of those tall Italian ones on the exit crypt side of the mansion been removed? It does seem like more of that side of the mansion is visible.. I always loved those trees.

I know large tree replacement in general might not be complete yet for this project but I do hope some greenery is added back to that side.

Yeah they removed all but one of them. I’m hoping for a some large trees to go back there too but I feel like they would have done that by now.

Figments Friend

I am here at Disneyland today, and saw the new shop beams in person.
As I suspected just looking at pictures, it looks far too big in scale in my opinion for this space.
Unnecessarily big.
It looks even larger in person, which surprised me.

Here is a snapshot I took earlier today while walking up the pathway past the Haunted Mansion.
As you can see, it completely blocks the view of the former ‘Splash Mountain’.

Not liking this one bit….

🤨

B7E35526-BED0-432F-BE11-E345D1209446.jpeg

-

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I am here at Disneyland today, and saw the new shop beams in person.
As I suspected just looking at pictures, it looks far too big in scale in my opinion for this space.
Unnecessarily big.
It looks even larger in person, which surprised me.

Here is a snapshot I took earlier today while walking up the pathway past the Haunted Mansion.
As you can see, it completely blocks the view of the former ‘Splash Mountain’.

Not liking this one bit….

🤨

View attachment 816627

-

This is so disappointing. And it makes no sense. Why build an impressive structure just to obstruct the sightline?

Does anyone at WDI actually enjoy Disney theme parks?

Gusey

From the concept art, it doesn't look like it's supposed to be that big. Any chance once it resembles the structure it might look better? Hoping it will help the transition between New Orleans and Bayou Country

J4546

I like it, it def makes the HM and TBA sectioned apart and looks like a nice reveal of TBA when you pass it. Plus the shop being big means some cool displays and merch. Im not a big merch guy but I do love HM more than anything else

Disney Analyst

This is so disappointing. And it makes no sense. Why build an impressive structure just to obstruct the sightline?

This actually feels perfectly Disneyland to me. The beauty of Disneyland is that the park is so layered with things, due to the size, that around every corner is a new surprise.

I like that they've created a visual break, which creates something to discover around a corner.

Mr. Sullivan

Yeah in concept I also like the idea of a visual divide between the mansion and TBA. When I finally saw the park in person this year and realized how close together they actually are, it did make me feel like the aesthetic shift between the two was rather drastic. This may be a nice way to ease that.

Though I don’t like to judge something until it’s finished because doing otherwise strikes me as rather foolish, so I won’t really say for sure thumbs or thumbs down until it’s all done and dusted.

mickEblu

This actually feels perfectly Disneyland to me. The beauty of Disneyland is that the park is so layered with things, due to the size, that around every corner is a new surprise.

I like that they've created a visual break, which creates something to discover around a corner.

The cypress trees did a better job of this but obviously they can’t sell merch out of those. Not sure why they can’t put some of those back though- between the Mansion and the store unless there just isn’t any room.

For me the issue is that it throws off the scale of the Mansion. Especially when walking from CC to NOS.

Last edited:

wityblack

I ascribe to the theory that they are moving HM merch here so they can close Le Bat En Rouge and make that part of a new Pirates queue. Haunted Mansion and Pirates are the only E-Tickets I can think of that have huge makeshift queues bleeding into walkways, and they are fixing Haunted Mansion's. Just like they did with Matterhorn and Space Mountain.

Figments Friend

The scale of the building is just not in tune with the surroundings.
Too large, and it takes away that nice spacing between the two major Attractions.
Remember the saying ‘sometimes less is more’..?

The building gives the impression it was designed for a space like WDW or another Park…as it seems so out of place scale wise.
Crammed into that former ‘empty’ spot just makes the area look cluttered now visually.
Not a fan thus far…

I’m sure the shop will look nice once finished, but the size of it is very off putting in the sight lines department.

-

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm sure the size of the giftshop building more has to do with modern building codes than it does with WDI purposely or even unintentionally trying to ruin sightlines and scales.

Sometimes things like this can't be helped when building in the modern era. The hope is they can find a way to blend things in so its not as noticeable. I suspect there will be trees put in the space between the shop and Tiana's, as there appears to be a gap left over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom