News New Haunted Mansion Grounds Expansion, Retail Shop Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2024

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
With construction beginning in January 2024, new updates are coming to the Haunted Mansion area, including an expanded outdoor queue, at the Disneyland Resort. A new retail shop will be added adjacent to the attraction’s exit. Link at the bottom with full details.

Concept art below.

F4tsynPXcAIdMcn.jpeg

F4tszCQXcAM280c.jpeg

F4tszVUXcAYyu5F.jpeg

*Edited to update concept art.

Last edited:

Consumer

I imagine this announcement would be quite different had the new movie not been a financial and critical disaster. We'll see how this turns out. It's hard to see exactly where the expanded queue will be going and what this means for the rest of New Orleans Square. Also curious to see if there will be any interior changes, such as a new bride.

waltography

That third concept art genuinely looks artistic for once instead of the usual Procreate-level art like that first one. I too can't figure out where the extended queue is situated despite seeing the corner of the mansion in the right there. I'm sure they're reclaiming some extra space from the old FP distribution, but are they also digging into the hill behind the mansion?

Store looks fine and I guess a fine transition into the Bayou. Glad HM merch gets its own store outside of Pieces of Eight.

Consumer

That third concept art genuinely looks artistic for once instead of the usual Procreate-level art like that first one.
It's certainly leagues better than the first piece, but it's still not that great. The scene is too crowded, the perspectives are wonky, and there's really no focus. There's no reason Disney can't hire real artists like they used to. Just look at this beautiful piece by Herb Ryman showing New Orleans Square. He masterfully frames the scenes and creates a sense of time and place with everything clearly laid out. Beautiful.
1693329807243.png

mickEblu

I’m not going to lie- the headline was scary but it looks like aesthetically it will be an improvement to the outdoor queue where the switchbacks are. Hoping they resist the urge to “over story” it though. Just beautify it and keep it understated. It also looks like they don’t eat any of the Magnolia Park real estate for the exterior queue. Just the old fast pass area. Am I seeing that right?

I’m having a hard time time understanding what I’m looking at in that first pic and where that would trellis would go? Are they completely reconfiguring the left side of the lawn and planters in front of the porch?

MK-fan

It looks as though they are getting rid of the old fast pass distribution area and just building extra queue alongside the existing queue and will only use it when necessary. This is most likely due to the insane crowds the ride gets during the “4 month” holiday season. Looks like the fountain in front of the train station will be removed. It also looks like the existing queue is getting a new wooden awning for shade.

mickEblu

RIP to any sort of low key area at Disneyland. Granted, this is an improvement for when the park is slammed and they have the HM queue going around Magnolia Park but it’s a nice dead area at times too when the park is not too busy. The quiet spots away from the hustle and bustle are becoming fewer and fewer. What’s left? Motorboat dock (which isn’t long for this world), Fowlers path and TSI?

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I’m not going to lie- the headline was scary but it looks like aesthetically it will be an improvement to the outdoor queue where the switchbacks are. Hoping they resist the urge to “over story” it though. Just beautify it and keep it understated. It also looks like they don’t eat any of the Magnolia Park real estate for the exterior queue. Just the old fast pass area. Am I seeing that right?

I’m having a hard time time understanding what I’m looking at in that first pic and where that would trellis would go? Are they completely reconfiguring the left side of the lawn and planters in front of the porch?

Looks to me like that trellis is going infront to the left?

Feel like the area in red is all going to be reworked, purple is new store:

Screen Shot 2023-08-29 at 10.49.18 AM.png

waltography

It's certainly leagues better than the first piece, but it's still not that great. The scene is too crowded, the perspectives are wonky, and there's really no focus. There's no reason Disney can't hire real artists like they used to. Just look at this beautiful piece by Herb Ryman showing New Orleans Square. He masterfully frames the scenes and creates a sense of time and place with everything clearly laid out. Beautiful.
View attachment 739813
Oh, I'm not deluding myself that the garden art compares to Ryman or Davis, just that it's much better than the usual "let me paint over old photos/concept art" that they've been doing as of late. Commendable effort and I hope they keep going that route.

mickEblu

Looks to me like that trellis is going infront to the left?

Feel like the area in red is all going to be reworked, purple is new store:

View attachment 739815

Wow that’s what I thought. The view from the front of the Mansion with the lawn is iconic. Slowly getting less optimistic…

It could be possible to keep most or at least some of the lawn in tact. Although the fact it’s artificial turf now makes the view much less iconic and easier to part with. I was saying it the other day. Not sure if it’s intended or not but they re getting good at breaking us down slowly.

Last edited:

zipadee999

Wow that’s what I thought. The view from the front of the Mansion with the lawn is iconic. Slowly getting less optimistic…
Yeah… hoping they don’t touch the iconic view through the gates up through the first turn that goes to the side of the mansion. They can do whatever they want to the side extended queue for all I care, but I’m praying they don’t mess with the iconic entrance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom