News New Haunted Mansion Grounds Expansion, Retail Shop Coming to Disneyland Resort in 2024

lazyboy97o

I'm sure the size of the giftshop building more has to do with modern building codes than it does with WDI purposely or even unintentionally trying to ruin sightlines and scales.

Sometimes things like this can't be helped when building in the modern era. The hope is they can find a way to blend things in so its not as noticeable. I suspect there will be trees put in the space between the shop and Tiana's, as there appears to be a gap left over.
Cite?

Epcot81Fan

The scale of the building is just not in tune with the surroundings.
Too large, and it takes away that nice spacing between the two major Attractions.
Remember the saying ‘sometimes less is more’..?

The building gives the impression it was designed for a space like WDW or another Park…as it seems so out of place scale wise.
Crammed into that former ‘empty’ spot just makes the area look cluttered now visually.
Not a fan thus far…

I’m sure the shop will look nice once finished, but the size of it is very off putting in the sight lines department.

-
You are proceeding from the false assumption that they care about scale, placemaking, cohesion, or theming.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm not citing any specific code, although minimum 8ft ceilings comes to mind, but I'm sure that a building can't be the size of the other buildings around it like the crypts and such and still be functional as a retail shop. Now could they have scaled it better to fit next to the mansion and still be within code, maybe. But I doubt they would just build it larger than needed just to purposely ruin sightlines and scales. So any structure size was likely more related to its function rather than just because someone didn't care.

lazyboy97o

I'm not citing any specific code, although minimum 8ft ceilings comes to mind, but I'm sure that a building can't be the size of the other buildings around it like the crypts and such and still be functional as a retail shop. Now could they have scaled it better to fit next to the mansion and still be within code, maybe. But I doubt they would just build it larger than needed just to purposely ruin sightlines and scales. So any structure size was likely more related to its function rather than just because someone didn't care.
The codes have dimensional criterial for certain elements (minimum height for ceilings is only 7’-6” per 1208.2) along with exceptions and alternates. They do not prescribe the composition as a whole. Scale and proportion are a reflection of the composition. You’re also muddying intention and apathy. Prioritizing utility over aesthetics would be a value judgement and mean aesthetics are cared about less.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The codes have dimensional criterial for certain elements (minimum height for ceilings is only 7’-6” per 1208.2) along with exceptions and alternates. They do not prescribe the composition as a whole. Scale and proportion are a reflection of the composition. You’re also muddying intention and apathy. Prioritizing utility over aesthetics would be a value judgement and mean aesthetics are cared about less.
Fine, but I still stand by my statement even if there isn't specifically a code to back it up. They wouldn't have built a new building larger than it needed to be for no reason, ie no one cared. If they didn't care they would have just built it off-site and brought it in on a truck. So its purpose built this way for a reason, a reason that no one here knows including you.

mickEblu

I'm sure the size of the giftshop building more has to do with modern building codes than it does with WDI purposely or even unintentionally trying to ruin sightlines and scales.

Sometimes things like this can't be helped when building in the modern era. The hope is they can find a way to blend things in so its not as noticeable. I suspect there will be trees put in the space between the shop and Tiana's, as there appears to be a gap left over.

What they need to do is put the trees between the shop and Mansion

lazyboy97o

Fine, but I still stand by my statement even if there isn't specifically a code to back it up. They wouldn't have built a new building larger than it needed to be for no reason, ie no one cared. If they didn't care they would have just built it off-site and brought it in on a truck. So its purpose built this way for a reason, a reason that no one here knows including you.
Being built in-place or offsite has absolutely no relationship to how well issues of scale and proportion are handled. And just because a reason can be given doesn’t mean it is a good reason or had to be given priority.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Being built in-place or offsite has absolutely no relationship to how well issues of scale and proportion are handled. And just because a reason can be given doesn’t mean it is a good reason or had to be given priority.
You always do this....

So what is the reason since you appear to know more than all here? And I don't buy into this, "because they don't care" excuse that is thrown around.

Vegas Disney Fan

Prioritizing utility over aesthetics would be a value judgement and mean aesthetics are cared about less.
Sadly I agree with this, they wanted a specific number of square feet of merchandise, the building was designed primarily around that number rather than being designed primarily around the aesthetics.

The concept art looks pretty good though so I’m still hopeful for the finished product, it looks large for the space but it also looks like it’ll match aesthetically, I don’t think we’ll know if they pulled off proper scale until it’s finished.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The assumption has been whatever this redo of the POTC queue into Royal Veranda et al would be for a limited queue expansion, not a complete redo of the queue, ie its likely just for LL. The courtyard queue was redone just a couple years ago in 2022 so it unlikely they would redo that again so soon.

Also if they are doing this for the 70th, which was the rumor, it'll likely get started as soon as the HM gift shop is done.

Vegas Disney Fan

I ascribe to the theory that they are moving HM merch here so they can close Le Bat En Rouge and make that part of a new Pirates queue. Haunted Mansion and Pirates are the only E-Tickets I can think of that have huge makeshift queues bleeding into walkways, and they are fixing Haunted Mansion's. Just like they did with Matterhorn and Space Mountain.
Isn’t this where they put Eudoras?

It’s a long way from the pirates entrance also, it would send the line in front of Blue Bayou, the bridge, pieces of eight, etc… not sure how they’d be able to route the line over to that area without completely blocking the New Orleans stores.

Vegas Disney Fan

What are the rumored POTC queue changes?

Looking at an overhead map I can’t see any scenario where a rerouted queue doesn’t block something, it would be nice to get the queue out of the walkways but I can’t see a way to do it that would be less intrusive than what they are currently doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom