7DMT is currently on fire (11/1/14)

R W B

just a thought, but since the SDMT didn't burn down, didn't collapse and in fact re-opened within an hour, maybe we should shut this thread down as it appears we have now gone way off topic....;)
How is talking about fire safety and the pyro part of the night time show off topic since the ride caught fire from the pyro from the night time show?

kap91

Someone who's been a board member for 8 years and has less than 600 posts. When they come out to post.... comments... like this I think you know exactly what they are.

Soooo, I actually totally agree with the point you were trying to make in this specific context and situation...but we can't all have 22,000 posts. You realize that's like 7 posts a day, every day. BTW Congratulations on that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Soooo, I actually totally agree with the point you were trying to make in this specific context and situation...but we can't all have 22,000 posts. You realize that's like 7 posts a day, every day. BTW Congratulations on that.
Thank you.

The particular posters history speaks for itself. Very rarely do they actual add to the discussion at hand. That was the point I was making, I didn't mean to insinuate low post members are all trolling or anything similar.

Last edited:

Phil12

Everyone knows that the chance of being hit by a fireworks shell is as improbable as the Yeti being fixed anytime in the near future.

Just crazy talk.

If pyro were to come to an end at WDW it would be because of the most logical one - budget cuts.
I agree with you fully. If a guest were ever actually hit and injured by a fireworks shell, that in and of itself would put an end to the displays. The Disney pyrotechnic crews are fully aware that safety is job number one and they are undisputed experts. They've been regularly launching extraordinary fireworks displays for over half a century and they've never launched a shell into a crowd of guests. That is indeed crazy talk.

The compressed air launched firework mortar technique that Disney pioneered is a testament to their relentless devotion to safety and environmental awareness. Disney has made great strides over the years to reduce the amount of air and water pollution produced by their displays. They've also done their best to limit the amount of toxic chemicals to which guests are exposed such as barium nitrate.

However, even with their strict formulary, accidents do happen such as the two most recent incidents. Changes in the pyrotechnic shows are inevitable with a reduction of chemical displays and an increase in laser projection and other technics that have a higher safety factor as well as reduced air and water pollution. Even then the newer technics will still contribute to light pollution but with the WDW parks "having the gift of size" that will be a problem for future generations to tackle.

dgp602

How is talking about fire safety and the pyro part of the night time show off topic since the ride caught fire from the pyro from the night time show?
Sarcasm...sometimes it gets lost on people....But, if you want to get serious, the title of the thread is "7DMT currently on fire 11/1". The fire is out, minimal damage. And if you read through the threads, no one is really talking about fire safety. There were a couple of pages in this thread where there were some posts beginning to become a little testy. But please, feel free to start a thread on fire safety if you wish...

NormC

hahahahahaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

pot-kettle-black.jpg
Which one are you? Pot or kettle?

R W B

Sarcasm...sometimes it gets lost on people....But, if you want to get serious, the title of the thread is "7DMT currently on fire 11/1". The fire is out, minimal damage. And if you read through the threads, no one is really talking about fire safety. There were a couple of pages in this thread where there were some posts beginning to become a little testy. But please, feel free to start a thread on fire safety if you wish...
It's just I've seen other people say the same things and they're serious and then the thread gets closed. So that's why I asked. Also, its a little hard detecting sarcasm through a computer screen.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The compressed air launched firework mortar technique that Disney pioneered is a testament to their relentless devotion to safety and environmental awareness.

You do know that only 3 shells have ever been fired using ALF don't you? And that it's not worked for 3 years?

To what do you base your statements that shows will change? Or is it just an opinion?

Oh, and belive me, plenty more things have happened in the past. And the shows just keeping going on. Strange huh?

ABQ

You do know that only 3 shells have ever been fired using ALF don't you? And that it's not worked for 3 years?

To what do you base your statements that shows will change? Or is it just an opinion?

Oh, and belive me, plenty more things have happened in the past. And the shows just keeping going on. Strange huh?
Still boggles the mind how they couldn't get compressed air to work. I mean, if punkin chunkin competitors can routinely launch a squash over 4,000 feet, how can WDW, with far more technology at its disposal, not figure out how to reliably launch a firework a few hundred feet?

edit...I'll accept any answer that is not a snide "$$$$" answer.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Still boggles the mind how they couldn't get compressed air to work. I mean, if punkin chunkin competitors can routinely launch a squash over 4,000 feet, how can WDW, with far more technology at its disposal, not figure out how to reliably launch a firework a few hundred feet?

It does work, but yes, $$$ comes into it. After running out of stock and patents.

R W B

This I did not know. Honest question, how do they propel them in the air then? Before I even started researching and looking into "behind the scenes" at WDW I assumed they used compressed air to propel the fireworks since I personally don't really see them (little amber sparks) flying in the air like I do at my local 4th July/New Years events. Am I missing them and their still lit the old fashion way like you and I do it or they use something else?

PhotoDave219

Well first, it's not economically feasible to have compressed air launch every firework mortar. That's 400+ tubes. So that's just not going to work. Martin knows more about those systems than I but that's a lot of compressed air.

Disney has essentially perfected putting a firework And making it explode exactly where & when they want it. The only issues that arise from this are environmental, like high winds blowing Embers towards the guests. You can't control that, you can only adapt to what's happening.

In this instance, it's all about wind.

PhotoDave219

This I did not know. Honest question, how do they propel them in the air then? Before I even started researching and looking into "behind the scenes" at WDW I assumed they used compressed air to propel the fireworks since I personally don't really see them (little amber sparks) flying in the air like I do at my local 4th July/New Years events. Am I missing them and their still lit the old fashion way like you and I do it or they use something else?

Electric ignition ignites the a small black powder charge, propelling it skyward.

ABQ

Any idea if the majority of issues they have, like this last one causing the brush fire on Dwarve's Mountain are embers falling from an firework that just didn't explode properly or the propellant failed and didn't launch the firework high enough or in the correct direction? I have to believe, just based on naked eye viewing of who knows how many shows at WDW, that the charge went off and one ember just burned and burned and burned till it hit the surface. Launching doesn't appear to be the common problem, which may explain why air launched wasn't worth the bother.

PhotoDave219

Any idea if the majority of issues they have, like this last one causing the brush fire on Dwarve's Mountain are embers falling from an firework that just didn't explode properly or the propellant failed and didn't launch the firework high enough or in the correct direction? I have to believe, just based on naked eye viewing of who knows how many shows at WDW, that the charge went off and one ember just burned and burned and burned till it hit the surface. Launching doesn't appear to be the common problem, which may explain why air launched wasn't worth the bother.

Or the wind kept it from hitting the proper altitude, it explodes low, the wind blows the embers back into the park and there ya go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom