7DMT is currently on fire (11/1/14)

boo52

He basically said DL and HK DL use compressed air because California and HK require it but WDW doesn't because it's not a requirement in Florida. Makes sense.
Pyro Universe is full of people that THINK they know what's going on in the world of Disney fireworks. Disneyland uses air launch for some of their stuff. Not all. HKDL doesn't use air launch. They are conventional lift.

prberk

You all do not understand. We cannot close the thread until we have all explored how it had to be the fault of MM+ and FP+. Clearly a fireworks ember missed his return time altogether...

That's pretty simple. If MM+/FP+ hadn't been so grossly over budget we could have gotten the larger scale/fire retardant version of Mine Train.

Not a chance! But, thanks for giving us your opinion.

Umm, @Goofyernmost , I believe that @RSoxNo1 was making a joke following up to my comment, itself a joke. Just having a little levity... at least moreso than the fireworks that day ... but just a joke, I think.

Goofyernmost

Umm, @Goofyernmost , I believe that @RSoxNo1 was making a joke following up to my comment, itself a joke. Just having a little levity... at least moreso than the fireworks that day ... but just a joke, I think.
Well, I can't hear the laughter from here. If something is a joke, indicated it by using those handy, dandy little smiley faces, otherwise it seems serious. But, in case it wasn't a joke, my response still stands.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just find out who the right people are to listen to.

That's half the battle right there, And from experience in fixing corporate issues they are generally not who you think they are and if they are 'Pretty People' then they are almost certainly NOT the people you need to listen to.

I think one of the best fictional examples of this was in the Babylon 5 universe, Where Mr Garabaldi got all the "troublemakers" in Edgar's Industries and set them to running the company.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's been decades since I studied physics, but pretty sure there's quite a difference in control over a self-propelled rocket and one simply launched skyward by any means that stays on the ground, including compressed air. Unless, the compressed air was to be contained inside the rocket itself. Anyone who's tried the 2L soda bottle/compressed air game in their yard knows how difficult that can be to control (and fall out will be larger)

The principle between the traditional and alf launch is the same... it's not a rocket. You have an amount of expanding gas creating a forced for a period of time. The vast majority of the shells are mortar launched, not rockets (not even sure if they have any rocket pieces..). ALF replaces the 'lift charge' in a mortar fired shell. The system also included electronic ignition via an onboard circuit since the launch system did not light a fuse like a traditional fired shell would.

At the end of the day though, its a lot of infrastructure and technology that can be nearly equaled with a simple tube and flame.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The use of the air launch system was primarily developed for eco-friendly reasons. The noise, smoke and lift cup litter associated with black powder tube launches plays havoc with the neighbors in a small park such as Disneyland. Other parks in urban areas face the same problems. Again, WDW has the blessing of size and doesn't have large urban areas in close proximity to the parks and therefore little need for compressed air launch.

It is my opinion based upon the facts of the situation. WDW is often criticized for cutbacks in entertainment and for its failure to build new E-ticket attractions. However, I have seldom heard of WDW being called out for a lackadaisical attitude concerning safety of their guests or their employees. There have certainly been both employees and guests that have been injured and killed at various Disney facilities. But Disney investigates and does its best to remediate any and all safety issues. Safety first is more than just an idle slogan to Disney. Safety is good business.

There will be an internal investigation to determine the cause(s) and remedies to rectify the immediate problem(s). But Disney legal is looking at the long term "what if" problem that has been established. Hypothetically, if a guest was seriously injured or killed due to a fireworks malfunction, the settlement price for such a case just went up dramatically as a direct result of these well publicized fireworks incidents. Disney legal is now concerned that future guest injury might cost the company a hefty settlement sum. That in turn puts pressure on management to change show elements and methods to preclude that from becoming a reality.

Not strange at all. As I've said, the Disney crews have a very good (if not excellent) safety record. When dealing with inherently dangerous materials, safety will never be perfect. It's just a matter of degree as to what level of hazard Disney is willing to accept.

The questions are simple. Were the two most recent fires that were caused by fireworks malfunctions acceptable? We're all guests safe from any harm concerning these incidents? The answer to both questions is no. Disney was just lucky that no guests were injured. Show elements will change, be eliminated or replaced altogether as safer and more efficient technics are developed. And a real selling point for Disney is laser light shows and other display options may prove to be less costly.

Do I really need to repeat my Shakespeare quote?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So I go on a cruise for three days and this thread is still active? Was at MK Monday (looking for the new Glow With The Show ears) and walked by 7DMT. If I hadn't read about the fire on this board, I wouldn't have known there was one. I was, though, still feeling the effects of a rocky last night on the Dream. "I'm not drunk, it's the ship".

;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom