7DMT is currently on fire (11/1/14)

PhotoDave219

Actually they will not.

Although I did just check with show managers of both RoE and Wishes to see if they will be out of a job anytime soon. They won't be. Though by all means do come back in a few years time and ask again. But please don't try and pass you opinion as fact. Thanks.

Well, I wanted to reply to him in my usual style but thought better of it....

fugawe09

Since I'm not too familiar with the acces roads outside of MK, can someone tell me how the fire truck entered the park from an in the park POV (next to which attraction)?

I wasn't there, but here's the likely scenario. The fire station is on Floridian Way (roughly behind Pirates show building) right between the fireworks bunkers and the launch site. The truck most likely came around Floridian Way to Center Dr and entered at the gate right behind the circus tents. There is a service gate between the circus tents and Little Mermaid show building that provides easy access to Fantasyland on-stage areas from the service road.

I was at DL in Anaheim, CA earlier this year and was told by a CM there about the strict fireworks code imposed by the city that dictate things like the early closure of Toontown and height limits.

Such strict restrictions do not imply at WDW because Disney controls its own local government (Bay Lake and RCID) at the MK, though there are fire codes but less strict. Maybe it may not have been such a good idea to allow a corporation to have control of such things like fire codes, etc., as events like these may demonstrate?

Reedy Creek fire and building codes are equal to or tougher than anything else in Florida. California is a different scenario because you are looking at a much smaller venue with neighbors and a much different climate. Not going to argue that you shouldn't shoot fireworks in the wind. But in all fairness, with the amount of gunpowder Disney burns each year (second only to US military), to make the news once every year or two is pretty good statistics. If this had been in a backstage area it would have been a non-event because nobody was hurt and there wasn't any notable damage. It just happened to occur in front 50,000 smart phone owners.

JWG

Is this why I could hear Snow White yelling, "this girl is on fire..." I just thought she was a Jessica Mears fan.

I feel bad for not taking it more seriously now.

Phil12

Actually they will not.

Although I did just check with show managers of both RoE and Wishes to see if they will be out of a job anytime soon. They won't be. Though by all means do come back in a few years time and ask again. But please don't try and pass you opinion as fact. Thanks.
The show managers will have little influence. Disney's legal department will initiate the changes for the safety of guests and for the safety of avoiding a costly personal injury lawsuit. These pyro accidents have set a precedent that the company has failed to exercise due care (i.e. the conduct that a reasonable person would take to avoid harm to the public). Additional safety measures will only buy them some time. Disney can't reasonably expect their guests to assume or share such risks. Disney needs to show that they are taking positive steps to minimize and/or eliminate the current risks while also transitioning the show elements away from the inherently dangerous pyrotechnics.

Safety has always come before show for Disney. As has been stated, pyrotechnics are inherently dangerous. Short of clearing out the entire MK prior to any pyrotechnic display, the park guests are put at an unreasonable level of risk. It was just a matter of luck that no guests were harmed in the two most recent pyro malfunctions. With safety being the priority, Disney will within the next few years gradually transition the pyrotechnics to other show elements (such a laser light shows). It's in the best interest of the guests as well as the company. I see it as a win for all concerned.

PhotoDave219

The show managers will have little influence. Disney's legal department will initiate the changes for the safety of guests and for the safety of avoiding a costly personal injury lawsuit. These pyro accidents have set a precedent that the company has failed to exercise due care (i.e. the conduct that a reasonable person would take to avoid harm to the public). Additional safety measures will only buy them some time. Disney can't reasonably expect their guests to assume or share such risks. Disney needs to show that they are taking positive steps to minimize and/or eliminate the current risks while also transitioning the show elements away from the inherently dangerous pyrotechnics.

Safety has always come before show for Disney. As has been stated, pyrotechnics are inherently dangerous. Short of clearing out the entire MK prior to any pyrotechnic display, the park guests are put at an unreasonable level of risk. It was just a matter of luck that no guests were harmed in the two most recent pyro malfunctions. With safety being the priority, Disney will within the next few years gradually transition the pyrotechnics to other show elements (such a laser light shows). It's in the best interest of the guests as well as the company. I see it as a win for all concerned.

Will someone show Billy Batts the door?

Trauma

It's posts like this that make me continue to lose faith in humanity.

zweltar

No. Just... No.

note2001

Shallow end of the gene pool is what I think you really mean. The goof you replied to must be either a troll or lawyer or both.

Sounds like someone in insurance to me. Maybe an actuary as his sense of humor is rather restrained (to put it mildly.)
------------------------

Disney puts guest and employee safety as top priority. It's one of the things that puts their amusement parks right at the top of the most visited. However, Disney will not disturb the show if guest safety has not been compromised. They permit laws to bully them into making changes, but not lawyers.

For the fireworks, as of right now there is no substitute for the actual thing. Light shows are cool, but do not have the same effect visually or with the sound pressure waves.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom